Author Topic: plane cache  (Read 1158 times)

Offline hunter33

• Zinc Member
plane cache
« on: June 09, 2004, 12:42:13 AM »
I cannot complete the plane cache load. It gets about 3/4 done and then drops back to the desktop. I tried deleting the cache folder a number of times. Same thing. beta 41.  ge-force 3 64 meg. 1.4mhz athlon, win. me

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
plane cache
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 10:34:10 AM »
THe next time it starts. Hit the space bar to cancel it. Then go into video setup and lower your max texture size.

HiTech

Offline hunter33

• Zinc Member
cache
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 12:09:33 PM »
Tried that, it didn't work. I went as low as 128. Also deleted the cache folder and tried again. No go. then lowered my scree res to 800 still no go.

Offline hunter33

• Zinc Member
plane cache
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 12:13:07 PM »
one thing, I am not sure the lower settings are being saved. When it drops to the desktop and I go bace in, the texture size setting is back to 512 even though I lowered it. Perhaps it is defaulting and not saving the lower setting. If so, how do I force the lower settings.

Offline hunter33

• Zinc Member
plane cache
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 12:36:54 PM »
add this to the problems, now it also will not see its own download. It keeps wanting to load the baltic.res file. I did it 5 times and it just wants to do it again. Listen guys, I love AH but this AHII is just not ready. Its bad enough to buy a program and have bugs but to want to charge a monthly fee for this bug ridden POS is ludicris. Get the thing working first. I have talked to many AH players on this and most are not happy. The discussions last night were not favorable to AHII and many talked of cancelling. I don't know what else to say. If you have any more ideas, I will try them. But my patience is getting thin.

Offline hunter33

• Zinc Member
plane cache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 12:58:01 PM »
tried to edit the res size in cache from 512 to 128. It always defaults back to 512.

Offline hunter33

• Zinc Member
plane cache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 12:58:37 PM »
javascript:smilie(':confused:')
confusedconfusedjavascript:smilie(':mad:')
mad

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
plane cache
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 01:02:37 PM »
video8.cfg read only perchance? Also look at this file and see what max texture size is set to. Also when you went to video set up was that in game, or from the very first menu?

HiTech

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
plane cache
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 02:52:17 PM »
Previous beta i had cache problems and only way out was to lower texture sizes at the first screens video setup after starting AH.

If not already tried doing this might be worth a go.

And how you can talk of cancelling because you have some bugs in a piece of beta software is beyond me.
The idea is to track bugs and report them so HT can kill them before it goes live.

Offline hunter33

• Zinc Member
plane cache
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2004, 04:39:59 PM »
It will not let me in the game. Yes video.8 is read only. I changed it to archive. I was able to get in the game for a min. Before it froze. When in I had no textures gor the game. The map room was all black. and the plane textures still will not load. About cancelling, I may be a fool but I expect the thing to run at least. When AH says they are closing AH1, then AH2 should work. Minor problems do not bother me. But to charge a fee (it should work) This game is no where ready for release and seems to be on someones rush board (read money). I will try to get it to work as long as someone has any ideas. I will also play and pay for AH1, but if that goes away, I have no choice but to cancel. What would you do if you can't run the game.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
plane cache
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2004, 05:05:10 PM »
Delete your video8.cfg file, delete your cache folder.  Run AH2 again.  

Do you know how that file became read only?  Did you do a manual copy of this file or folder to AH2 or are you using any kind of backup software?  

Are the other files and directories in your AH2 folder read-only?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
plane cache
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2004, 05:05:33 PM »
hunter check if any other files are read only in your aces highII folder and any sub folders. Or better yet, delete your aceshigh folder and reinstall from scratch.

HiTech

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
plane cache
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004, 05:06:05 PM »
Check to see if all your files and folders are read-only before you delete your video config file and cache folder and rerun it.

Offline hunter33

• Zinc Member
plane cache
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2004, 05:08:38 PM »
I'll go through the folders, I was given a disk from ltarmoil since my download speed is slooooow. Until you guys get a disk made that was my best bet. I'll make all the folders archive

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
plane cache
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2004, 05:29:07 PM »
It sounds like your friend burned you a CD of his AH2 folder rather than burn you a copy of the installation file.  Files on a CD-ROM are read-only.  When you copy files from a CD-ROM, they'll retain their read-only properties.   AH and AH2 are designed to be installed from the installation file.  Once you get everything set to writeable, I would recommend deleting your entire settings folder and not just the video8.cfg file.  The cache folder also needs to be deleted.