Author Topic: Chirac in the US and not going to attend Reagan's funeral?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Chirac in the US and not going to attend Reagan's funeral?
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2004, 11:33:38 PM »
The French have earned far more than the benign bashing they get on this board. I would very much like to see all of our ties with them forever severed.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2004, 11:40:27 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
What have they done to earn the bashing?

We've been over this before. So far as I'm concerned it began with their unwillingness to let us overfly their territory when we attacked Khadafi and culminated most recently in their stubborn refusal to support the ouster of their buddy Saddam. Lots of stuff in between as well but it's late here and I'm going to bed.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2004, 11:44:25 PM »
Didn't agree or actively obstruct?

The first doesn't bother me. The second does.

And they did.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2004, 11:48:46 PM »
Well, it's not like we have physically attacked France, but we certainly don't have to like or support in any way anyone that attempts to thwart our every effort at making the world more safe and free for all.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2004, 11:48:53 PM »
You guys amaze me sometimes.  The complete Bloomberg quote states:

"French President Jacques Chirac, attending the Group of Eight summit on Sea Island, Georgia, said Foreign Minister Michel Barnier would represent his government."

Can you guys state why Chirac might not be able to attend the funeral personally?  I mean, beyond conjecture and misperception?  Chirac would demonstrate disrespect if he failed to send any governmental representative.  As it is, he sent the most appropriate senior official to attend such a ceremony in his absence.  France therefore plans to attend the funeral and pay its respects to Reagan.  This is how countries do things diplomatically.

Why doesn't anyone complain about Prince Charles representing the British royal family rather than Queen Elizabeth?  Such disrespect!

What a complete non-issue.

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 11:54:54 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2004, 11:54:01 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
You guys amaze me sometimes.  The complete Bloomberg quote states:

"French President Jacques Chirac, attending the Group of Eight summit on Sea Island, Georgia, said Foreign Minister Michel Barnier would represent his government."

Can you guys state why Chirac might not be able to attend the funeral personally?  I mean, beyond conjecture and misperception?  Chirac would demonstrate disrespect if he failed to send any governmental representative.  As it is, he sent the most appropriate senior official to attend such a ceremony in his absence.  France therefore plans to attend the funeral and pay its respects to Reagan.  This is how countries do things diplomatically.

What a complete non-issue.  Jesus.

-- Todd/Leviathn

I can see that you're no diplomat. How many Americans do you think will feel insulted when a head of a state already at odds with many Americans fails to attend the funeral of one of it's most revered leaders? Especially when it is conspicuously convenient for him to do so.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2004, 11:54:13 PM »
I don't care what foreign leader attends, that doesn't matter. Ya figure that the Americans here would give the partisan politics a break til he is gone, show some respect. What foreign person could understand anyway? They never got the chance to live in such a time as we did, we should consider ourselves lucky. I have seen people outside my family pass on, but this one really saddens me. He was like a father, you didn't like some of the things he did, but in the end you find it hard to live without him. Those were the best of times, and he lead the way, i'm gonna miss him. In his honor, no more politics til all respects have been paid and he is resting in peace.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: June 09, 2004, 11:55:21 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
I can see that you're no diplomat. How many Americans do you think will feel insulted when a head of a state already at odds with many Americans fails to attend the funeral of one of it's most revered leaders? Especially when it is conspicuously convenient for him to do so.

Pretty much just you.  Diplomacy isn't about appealling to American public opinion anyway.  As far as the government of the United States goes, I'd wager this is a complete non-issue.  So long as someone appropriate represents France, it's all good.  Had France refused to send anyone, I'd be the first to agree that their response was completely undiplomatic.

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 11:58:20 PM by Dead Man Flying »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 09, 2004, 11:57:47 PM »
Pretty much just you.

-- Todd/Leviathn

If you really believe that then I'm surprised you can operate a pc, much less do so well in that damn spit 5.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 09, 2004, 11:58:58 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
Im going to go out on a limb and suggest you are drunk.

No...just the result of a classical education.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: June 09, 2004, 11:59:13 PM »
Todd, I posted the whole quote from Bloomberg. No one's hiding anything.

I really don't care if Chirac attends. I wouldn't change my opinion of the French either way whether he attends or does not attend.

Still, it's Blair that is the head of the British government. The Queen isn't.

Lastly, same question to you:

How do you think the French would have felt if we had sent only the Secretary of State to De Gaulle's funeral? Would they have taken it as a slight?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 09, 2004, 11:59:20 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
If you really believe that then I'm surprised you can operate a pc, much less do so well in that damn spit 5.

Obviously you're not going to be a candidate for Secretary of State anytime soon.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2004, 12:01:03 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
How by voting against you and lobby other nations to do the same? How very un-American of them ... not.

No. I was in the US military and dealt with French policy towards us many times.

Even on things as simple as filing a flight plan over French territory on the way to Athens, they're axeholes. Always have been. They are obstructionist.

Their failure to cooperate with us goes beyond disagreement. They actively obstruct us.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2004, 12:02:16 AM »
Obviously you're not going to be a candidate for Secretary of State anytime soon.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Watch TV after Friday and if Chirac doesn't attend tell me again that I'm the only one that noticed and was insulted by it. That is what you said wasn't it?

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2004, 12:03:33 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
How do you think the French would have felt if we had sent only the Secretary of State to De Gaulle's funeral? Would they have taken it as a slight?

Ask the French.  And let's not start with the hypotheticals.  I can spin a story just as easily as you, and neither would necessarily represent the truth.

-- Todd/Leviathn