Author Topic: Chirac in the US and not going to attend Reagan's funeral?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Chirac in the US and not going to attend Reagan's funeral?
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2004, 12:06:01 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Watch TV after Friday and if Chirac doesn't attend tell me again that I'm the only one that noticed and was insulted by it. That is what you said wasn't it?

The real question, frankly, is whether the Bush administration finds Chirac's absence insulting.  Do you know its position on the matter?

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2004, 12:11:52 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
The real question, frankly, is whether the Bush administration finds Chirac's absence insulting.  Do you know its position on the matter?

-- Todd/Leviathn

I doubt Bush would ever publicly admit any slight. However, public opinion dictates government policy these days more than ever before, and a popular US boycott of French products will not likely go unnoticed by the French.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2004, 12:17:16 AM »
Just a dodge, Todd. You know the answer and so does everyone else, especially the French.

Scholz, you miss it.

They won't let US military fly through their airspace on a whim. Not just armed aircraft, transports. They'll hold you at their ADIZ and then reroute you entirely around France. This after they approved your entry flight plan before takeoff. It's routine, not exceptional.

That's just one example.

They're axeholes obstructionists.

Their UN behavior is best defined by the "NIH" syndrome. If they didn't think up the idea, they obstruct it until someone has to kiss their axe to get them to go along. It's just vanity and past gloire.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2004, 12:19:42 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
I doubt Bush would ever publicly admit any slight. However, public opinion dictates government policy these days more than ever before, and a popular US boycott of French products will not likely go unnoticed by the French.

Public opinion rarely dictates foreign policy, at least strategically.

If you disagree with France's actions, by all means boycott them.  This is your right, and perhaps France will act differently in the future as a result.  That does not change the question of whether France's actions are diplomatically appropriate however since you plan on boycotting them whether or not the Bush administration finds their decision acceptable.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2004, 12:20:06 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Ah, here we go with the "boycott the Freedoms" again. Tell me, how did the previous boycott go?

Dammit, I was almost off to bed, now I'll have to lookitup. ;)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2004, 12:21:33 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Just a dodge, Todd. You know the answer and so does everyone else, especially the French.

So why not ask them?  Seriously.  

Also ask yourself if this situation mirrors De Gaulle's in 1970.  Think geopolitically.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2004, 12:22:28 AM »
We need a chat room.  This feels like I'm IMing you guys.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2004, 12:30:42 AM »
So you're saying they would first grant permission to overfly France, and then revoke the permission when the bird approaches their airspace?

Over my 6 years of flying it happened that way almost every time we filed over France. It was a real problem, as the fuel was based on the shortest route.

It really screwed up the operation. What's worse is the shipbirds would have you hold at the ADIZ telling you the clearance would be coming through in a few minutes. They'd never give it, of course. They were just making sure that your non-stop flight would be dropping into Spain for an extra fuel stop.

Doesn't seem like much to you, but it was a 15+ hour flight direct. The fuel stop easily would add two hours to that. Made a long forking day for the crew that much longer.

Towards the end, we just filed around them through Spain and planned on getting extra fuel from the tanker. Which generated other problems, but I digress.

They're axeholes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: June 10, 2004, 12:30:57 AM »
Couldn't find anything current, the "boycott" may have subsided. Apparently it did do some damage: http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2003-04-30-france_x.htm

If the boycott has dwindled, Chirac's absence from this emotional event may refuel it. I hope he stays away. Night all. :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2004, 12:31:54 AM »
Because the need to ask them if they'd be insulted is equal to the need to ask them if the sun will rise tomorrow.

BTW, do you like gymnasiums, Billy?  ;)

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2004, 12:41:52 AM »
Because the need to ask them if they'd be insulted is equal to the need to ask them if the sun will rise tomorrow.
[/b]

Well, I can't ask the sun if it'll rise tomorrow, but you sure can ask some of the French folks here if they would have been insulted.  :)

BTW, do you like gymnasiums, Billy?  ;)

Speaking of gyms, I need to take my son to Little Gym tomorrow.  I should hit the sack!

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2004, 12:46:30 AM »
Non.

There's no need to ask about the insult for the same reason as there's no need to ask them about sunrise.

The answer is apparent to all.

Bon soir!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2004, 01:33:57 AM »
Originally posted by Scootter
were to upity for him.

Now wouldnt THAT be a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2004, 01:40:23 AM »
Ah, here we go with the "boycott the Freedoms" again. Tell me, how did the previous boycott go?

Actually from what I understand it went quite well.
Frech lost a ton of money.

There was something I noticed that I found particularly amusing.

Local grocery store for the longest time didnt seem to sell muchin the way of "French roast" coffee.
At one point I remember there was a 2 for one sale and all the coffee of that brand was sold out with the sole exeption of "French roast" which remained stocked full.

Even funnier is even though it was a 2 for 1 sale.
I couldnt bring myself to buy it either. LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2004, 01:58:38 AM »
The answer is apparent to all.

So if Nixon hadn't attended the funeral in the middle of the Cold War for a noted World War II figure during a war in Southeast Asia ostensibly begun by France the French would be mad?  I wonder what the Soviets would have thought?  The Vietnamese?  Ah, but now I'm asking hypotheticals myself.  But you do know the answers don't you?

I see plenty of reasons to view Chirac as a slug.  Not attending Reagan's funeral is not one of them.

-- Todd/Leviathn
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 02:31:24 AM by Dead Man Flying »