Author Topic: P-47D: "Damon's Demon"  (Read 1212 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
P-47D: "Damon's Demon"
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2004, 06:03:47 AM »
Well, with a single click the entire layers of panel lines, rivets, weathering and etc etc.. all blown away into the wind. All that's left is the final, finished set of BMPs... and I'm just tired..

ohh... most unfortunate. :(

I'd like to thatnk you kweassa for the efforts. The skin is beautifull and until we get a new 3D model for the jug, this is probably the one I'm going to use.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2004, 10:13:24 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
That would be most thankful.. except I probably won't be able to use it on the "DD".

I'm tired with this one. The skinning was fun but bad happenings.. and a fatal mistake has drained my morale to the bottom :(

I was tired, my concentration was slipping... I changed the PSD file for the wings to indexed colors, saved it as BMP. And then somehow, without thinking, I saved the PSD file in that mode, and closed the program.

Well, with a single click the entire layers of panel lines, rivets, weathering and etc etc.. all blown away into the wind. All that's left is the final, finished set of BMPs... and I'm just tired..

I'd love to have those photos as reference. Thank you Replicant. But I'll have to use it in the future when I do another P-47.

Anyway, "Damon's Demon" of the 362nd FG, 379th FS, is now finished and will be submitted to HTC for use. It will be up at the Ah-skins.com shortly after, too. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Argh, can understand the frustration!!!! :(

Anyway, I'll be going to Duxford tomorrow now and will try and take as many photos of the P47 I can.  They're both bubble D25 onwards I guess.... will take photos of any minor detail such as writing on the sides etc.

They also have P51s, P40s, B17G (olive), TBM, Spitfires, Hurricanes, 109E3, C47, F4F, F6F, F4U-1D (& Goodyear variant - FG??).... I can take pictures of minor details to assist skinning if anyone wants anything in particular?
NEXX

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2004, 11:50:33 AM »
For what it's worth since you are done with this one.

The data box in front and below the windscreen is common to all US fighters.

it would look something like this, which is the one for Damon's Demon:

U.S. ARMY P47D-21RE
SERIAL NO. AAF 42-25518
CREW WEIGHT 200 LBS.
SERVICE THIS AIRPLANE WITH
GRADE 100/130 FUEL. IF NOT
AVAILALABLE T.O. 06-5-1 WILL BE
CONSULTED FOR EMERGENCY ACTION
SUITABLE FOR AROMATIC FUEL

But with the correct aircraft type and serial number you could use it for Mustangs, Lightnings, Jugs, P40s etc.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2004, 01:05:46 PM »
Thank you for the info Guppy :)

Replicant, as an amateuer skinner, what I  can say is most of the skinners here would be very very interested in all of those planes. :)

Especially the data plates/boxes and texts written on the plane. While some are too small and trivial to depict, others are definately worth the addition to the skins, and skinners would be most grateful if you can get pictures of them.

It's the sort of detail that's hard to have a close-look, or even be aware of, unless you get a chance to see them up close.... or get a very detailed book with all the decals, panel lines, rivets and etc... (which neither is a possible choice for me on the other side of the globe :) )

Once again, thank you for your efforts, Replicant.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2004, 01:17:03 PM »
very nice work kweasse... looking forwards to seeing it.

and dan as usual, is da man!
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2004, 01:42:44 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Thank you for the info Guppy :)

Replicant, as an amateuer skinner, what I  can say is most of the skinners here would be very very interested in all of those planes. :)

Especially the data plates/boxes and texts written on the plane. While some are too small and trivial to depict, others are definately worth the addition to the skins, and skinners would be most grateful if you can get pictures of them.

It's the sort of detail that's hard to have a close-look, or even be aware of, unless you get a chance to see them up close.... or get a very detailed book with all the decals, panel lines, rivets and etc... (which neither is a possible choice for me on the other side of the globe :) )

Once again, thank you for your efforts, Replicant.

Keep in mind Kweassa that most of the restored warbirds take the stenciling etc much further then combat used aircraft did.  The data block is about all you'll see on a combat vet US fighter for example as wear and tear, repaints etc covered the mass of stencilling.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2004, 02:42:08 PM »
hijack alert!!!

Anyone doing 350th FG, 345th "Devilhawks" jug?

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2004, 02:45:37 PM »
Originally posted by Westy
hijack alert!!!

Anyone doing 350th FG, 345th "Devilhawks" jug?

You wouldn't mean this one would you Westy? :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2004, 03:33:19 PM »
Why yes of course!    That'd be perfect until HTC adds the P-39 :)

(notes with appreciation how smoothly Dan picked up and added to the hijack)

p.s. I have Paintshop Pro 8 at home. I may just try my hand at this. Probably take me ten years too but hey....
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 03:35:40 PM by Westy »