Author Topic: Glacier National Park, Montana  (Read 220 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Glacier National Park, Montana
« on: June 17, 2004, 10:19:04 AM »
I'll be there soon, Saint Mary to be specific. First timer. Anyone have any experiences, must do's to share?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2004, 10:21:34 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Re: Glacier National Park, Montana
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 11:11:19 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I'll be there soon, Saint Mary to be specific. First timer. Anyone have any experiences, must do's to share?

back in 1990 I went cross country on my scooter and spent 3 days in Glacier.  All I can tell you is it is one of the best two wheel tours I have ever been on.  Having been cross country 4 times before I would put "the road to the sun" down as one of my favorites

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 11:26:52 AM »
Several things.

1. Take Logan Pass.  It climbs the mountains in the middle of the park and it is breathtaking.

2. Cross into Canada and go to Waterton.  It is so cool.  What used to be one the largest wooden hotels in North America, the Prince of Wales Hotel.  It is a beautiful place with a huge window looking down the lake.  Lots of cool shops.  When I wen there, you could drive up to the hiking area and bighorn sheep would walk up to the car and stick their heads in the windows.  

The Hotel is in the foreground

Another shot:

I drove up to Glacier ten years ago.  It is still one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.  The rolling hills, places to hike and fish, tons of horses and barns, magestic mountains...I could go on and on.  You and the family will love it.

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Re: Glacier National Park, Montana
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 11:29:06 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort

I almost forgot about bear tooth.  It is south of Glacier near Custer national, but well worth the trip. A two lane scenic route going over a pretty tall mountain that has no gaurd rails in some areas :)

We ran in to a group of bikers that had a trailer full of beer.  We followed them up the mountain stopping every few miles for refreshment (dont do this unless you are a stupid kid like I was, ok I was 30).  We got to the top and had a snowball fight (in August) and I decided to take a picture of my bike parked in the snow.  Needless to say it was kinda tough getting back out LOL.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 12:04:32 PM »
Thank you very much! I've copied and pasted (in a document for printing) your info guys. ;)  I doubt very much we'll get up to the Canadian border, but we'll definately being hitting the "Road to the Sun" highway.

Offline medicboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 12:10:19 PM »
Even though it is only 4 hrs from my home I haven't been there yet, bear tooth is only 2 hrs from here.  Got a lot of traveling to do, let me know the good places!!!

Bob

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2004, 01:28:46 PM »
I think its called "Going to the Sun Road". If it's open it is amazing.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 07:08:52 AM »
Thank you thank you! Silat, thats the site I made my reservations through, amazing photos!