Author Topic: UDP to TCP  (Read 680 times)

Offline usarmy

• Zinc Member
UDP to TCP
« on: June 17, 2004, 02:32:24 PM »
Ever since Beta 44 I get lost udp switching to tcp message right after I sign in to AH2. And now in AH2 I've lost Vox and check 6 calls coming in.

Blast
CO, Rogue Squadron
"Shoot Em in the Face"

Offline flyingaround

• Nickel Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 09:10:05 PM »
Same here.  only the FIRST time i logged in with only 7 people up did I not lost UPD.

The next 20 times I tried I lost UDP right away.

-WMLute  III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers
WMLute

III/JG26 9th ST WidowMakers

Offline Derrick_Hodges

• Zinc Member
same here
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 09:37:33 PM »
Always losing UDP connection, and no vox. Also, not only is vox out, but when my squad members are talking, I cant here them or see their names appear in the top right corner. This is really dampening the game enjoyment. Some information, I have windows 2k, latest directX, ati radeon 9600, latest catalyst drivers and the loss of vox was not immediate in ah2, only today did I lose vox. I have however always been rerouted from udp to tcp throughout the entire beta up till now.

Offline Derrick_Hodges

• Zinc Member
Alright
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 09:40:00 PM »
Okay guys, I will uninstall and reinstall all AH files, and tell you what happens.

Offline Derrick_Hodges

• Zinc Member
no good
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2004, 10:06:59 PM »
Uninstalled ah1 and ah2. After reinstall, no vox, and still switching to TCP. If I have to I wil perform a full registry edit after uninstall and try again, I expect no results though. I will continue to search for a solution because I think the problem is simpler than a patch. If nothing works I will most likely retire from AH. If you have any similarities to my computers setup than please note them, or any other you think I may have not mentioned.

Offline Derrick_Hodges

• Zinc Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2004, 11:25:58 PM »
I have the problem. The vox loss and other internet loss is due to your firewall. I have norton personal firewall 2003, and it conflicts with AH2 resulting in AH2 switching to tcp which requires vox to be shut down to garuntee internet connection. The only way for us to gain vox and check sixes and other features is to disable the firewall. There needs to be a patch to solve ths, as game users do not need to be open to inbound pc invasions while playing this game. Thats it .

Offline usarmy

• Zinc Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2004, 09:19:57 AM »
Thanks for the information...as I too use Norton 2003 Internet Securities. Might have to switch to ZoneAlarm until it's fixed. Still doesn't explain why it work until Beta 44 and full release. It does sound like a patch needs to be issued.

Blast
CO, Rogue Squadron
"Shoot Em in the Face"

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
UDP to TCP
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2004, 10:02:18 AM »
usarmy, you must have a port range confiugred to be blocked. It is not somthing that can be "FIXED" in AH, if you tell your firewall to block UDP, well by gosh there is no way for AH to work around it.

What changed in aproximatly version 44 was we changed the ports that we use.

HiTech

Offline usarmy

• Zinc Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2004, 10:20:04 AM »
Thanks HT...I found that I had multiple listing for AH in my allowed programs list in my firewall. Once I deleted all of them I reconfigured the firewall to allow AH to run. Everythings back to normal now.

Blast aka usarmy

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2004, 11:08:40 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
What changed in aproximatly version 44 was we changed the ports that we use.  
And which ports that would be?

Some people use stateful firewalls and would be good to know the range so we can set up forwarding and triggering.

Also the range of IPs which HT is using would be good to know.

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2004, 11:46:03 AM »
What's the difference between   UDP and TCP connections?  

I get this message and disco'ed about once a day - always at a different time.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2004, 12:46:08 PM »
In the simplest form...  

TCP is slower and uses error checking, if something is bad, it requests a resend.

UDP doesn't care if there are errors and sends what it sees and thats it.  Faster

SKurj

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2004, 12:58:55 AM »
usual i lost UDP after couple minutes of flight
on udp i feel like flying in a milk. Everything going slower, after shooting down plane i got message after few secounds. Planes not blowe up as they should be, but with delay..
I had no problems with AH1. Now i feel like in WB
everything warp and lag

btw i can see tanks thrue terrain

Offline Joc

• Silver Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 10:05:18 AM »
What do I do to configure Norton Personal Firewall to allow me to play? Im a newb to all this kinda thing,
Joc

Offline usarmy

• Zinc Member
UDP to TCP
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 12:40:06 PM »
What I did is this....start AH2 like you normally do. After you click the online button wait a few seconds and alt-tab out of AH. You should see a screen that says something like AH2 is trying to access the internet. Select permit and always perform this action and that's it.

You'll have to do the same thing after every update/patch from AH is installed.

Blast
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 12:45:22 PM by usarmy »