Author Topic: P-38 Still has Problems  (Read 9126 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 08:43:41 PM »
Just a couple observations.  I got to talk to a real life 38 pilot the other week, and the stall characteristics are much more like he described.  
The nose is a tad heaver in the verticle stall now. (ie. you have to be a little more "over the top" to stall to the invert)  I was told it did tend to nose down, but Maj McMarrow also said he could tail slide a 38, which would be hard to do if it tended to fall on its face that hard in the vertical.  I havnt viewed a film yet to see if you have to be unreasonably past vertical to avoid stalling reverted.
The stall in a turn is much improved.  That ridiculous torque snap in a torqueless plane is mostly gone.  At some speeds it seems to get wishy-washy then nose down, but it still has some snappyness to it in low speed turns that do not seem accurate.  I askes specifically how it felt in a high angle turn, he said it wanted to nose down and did not tend to wing over at all.
I still dont see the instantanious turn rate that the 109 pilots talked about.
I have lost more elevators in one week of beta, and 1 day of AH2, than I have in a couple tours of ah1.  The booms seems to hold together ok though.
I rarely have the auto-flap problem, but that is only because I beat the auto-flaps to the punch or anticipate it and ease off.
I have seen a couple strange spins that nothing would work to recover, but havnt experienced enough to critique it.
Didnt really see any real problems with its E performance.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2004, 08:56:18 PM »
Here's a quick and dirty film I whipped up really fast.  Unfortunately I started the film almost as I was about to merge with the F4U but you can see from the film what our relative E states where.   You'll see by the rope on the F4U, the P-38 still can still hang on its props at below stall speeds.  Also notice how the nose quickly swings over, nice and smooth too.  And watch the rope on the first Spitfire and you'll see as I go over the top there isn't any control input on my part, the P-38 just does her magic all by her lonesome.

The 3rd fight shows that the P-38 can still turn at slow speeds.  Unfortunately, this is were I died from making the wrong move and went up at the wrong angles and finally gave xbrit a good shot on me.  Fun fight though.

P-38 film

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2004, 09:14:26 PM »
Originally posted by MoRphEuS
But I guess since MetaVoss doesnt like how I address a problem I should stop addressing them. ;)

I am still waiting to see this new sim he is creating. Where to I send the donation check?

Send your check to:

Scorpion Lovers-R-Us
PO Box 0u812
ISpy, Mi. 12345

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2004, 09:31:02 PM »
I have never used the P38 much so couldn't talk about any differences just wanted to say AKAK was throwing it around nicely and I got lucky.
Your turn next time bud.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2004, 11:55:11 PM »
Originally posted by DipStick
Send your check to:

Scorpion Lovers-R-Us
PO Box 0u812
ISpy, Mi. 12345

And if you send in your payment in the next 30 days, you'll get a free ride in his P-51D and bf109!  So act fast, while this deal lasts because once it's over, it's GONE GONE GONE!

ack-ack

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2004, 01:15:14 AM »
Auto-flaps, suck...wish they'd get rid of them and it's going to take getting used to them again because the spins they throw you in now are pretty much unrecoverable.

We've talked about this online before, but basically according to HT, the automatic retraction of flaps is there to enforce limits of flaps usage as stated in the pilots manuals of each planes.

Nobody seems to be sure what the realistic physical limit of flaps on the WW2 planes are - it is logical to assume that the pilots manuals have listed flap deployment speeds according to the "safety first" agenda, rather than its true limits. In real life, probably flaps could be deployed in higher speeds than in AH.

However, the problem with it is that there is no real way to implement how flaps are operated, reaches its limits, and then gets busted. Not to mention that in real life, generally the flaps were never considered as any kind of primary flight control to operate during a fight. Flaps are at best, a secondary flight surface used for limited, specific purposes in take-offs and landings, used as stability gear.

Ofcourse, some of the expert pilots did seem to have found out that in certain situations flaps can be of aid to combat - in slow speed maneuvering, stabilization of the plane, dumping E states for tighter turns, making emergency pull-outs and etc.. Walter Nowotny's account specifically mentions him using flaps as a means to gain momentarily tighter turn radius to achieve firing solution against the more nimble Soviet fighters with his 190, and many more simular cases of flap usage for all pilots of all countries.

But normally, flaps were never intended as combat equipment, and planes that were able to deploy flaps at higher speeds than usual tend to describe it specifically as a special, 'combat setting'. It remains a distinct advantages and traits to some of the planes.

Basically the logic behind the "remove auto-retraction" argument, is in reality a "let flaps be able to operate at higher speeds" argument.

Those who request it, especially the P-38 pilots of AH, take on the reason that at certain points of maneuvering the retraction of flaps destabilizes their plane(since retraction increases the stall speed). Thus, in essence, they want their planes to be able to hold its flap positions above the listed speeds in the pilots manual.

HT has clearly stated that according to his agenda, if the auto-retraction is removed the only thing remaining is immediate flap failure at the same level of speed the flaps would auto-retract.

That of course, would not be what the P-38 pilots want. Instead of auto-retraction when they fail to contain their speed under the maximum flap deployment speed, they want to see the flaps locked solid over the listed speed so that the plane maintains its advantages in speed inhibition(to prevent overshoots in close maneuvering) and stabilization(to keep the lowered stall speed intact).

However, to do that. AH must "assume" a certain generic point in flap failure - how much higher speed the flaps can maintain normal operation over the recommended/listed max speed for deployment. It's either that, or random failures which nobody wants to see.

That would seem fine and dandy at first, but since there's no way HT would grant such a waiver to only the P-38, it would apply to all other planes as well.

Suddenly, all the planes in AH will have higher flap deployment speeds than before, and ultimately, all the pilots would be utilizing this fact to their own profit - which would mean the air combat of AH would start to tear away from reality, as in flaps becoming a very important, primary control in maneuvering, which in real life was never the case, even for the 'experten'.

In other words, in the long run it would actually hurt the P-38L, and most other US planes to even higher a degree, because one of their most distinctive traits in AH was that only they had the ability to utilize flaps as combat devices at higher speeds. The P-51s and P-47s have combat flaps deployable upto 400mph. The P-38L and the F4U starts popping flaps at much lower speed than that, but still way higher than most of the planes on AH.

I'm not an expert in any kind of US plane, but I believe that allows me to retain a much more objective view on the flap issue - since I'm only average, the distinct traits of US planes catch my immediate attention and allow me to compare with the LW planes I usually fly.

For me, one of the most impressive and envious advantages the US planes hold over my usual Messerschmitt or Fockewulf, is that despite none of the US planes are decisively better in maneuverabilty, they always seem to be able to gain an edge during maneuvering. Not because they can turn so well like a Spitfire, but because;

1) They can dump speed at a higher rate at high speed maneuvering(which lets them outturn 109s and 190s, even La-7s at speeds between 250~400mph)

and

2) greatly stabilize the planes at low speed maneuvering(between speed ranges of 150mph~250mph).

I've stated this in some other thread, but the most fearful fact about US planes when I'm facing them in a Messerschmitt, is that they can pull off a radical change of nose angle during low-speed, rolling scissors which the 109 cannot follow.

As I saddle up behind them they attempt to pull rolling scissors. If I fail to bring them down before they start that move, I have no choice but to try and follow it(unless I just cowardly zoom and accelerate away). For the first few rolls and scissors I can follow.  but when the speed of both planes drop down at the critical "200mph line", the US planes rolls over high, starts popping out flaps, kicks rudders and whip their noses over into my plane. This is something no 109 can follow, much less a 190.

To counter that I must also follow it upwards, and initiate a slower roll so I can get out of the way of their guns, keep the enemy in front of me, and keep saddled up behind them - except at that critical "200mph line", my 109 cannot pull into them, because the AoA is too high while my speed is too low. That is the decisive moment where the ability of being able to use flaps while the other plane cannot, shines out like a beacon. I need to use flaps to follow my enemy, but I cannot use them because my speed is still at the 200mph borderline!

That critical moment I have met time again, against many expert US plane pilots - I've been outturned and outmaneuvered even in much more nimble Bf109F-4, fighting against a F4U corsair by that move. I've been decsively outturned in a slow, low-alt, pure sustained turning contest against P-51Ds in a Bf109G-10, G-6, and even a G-2. I've been outmaneuvered by P-47s in a much nimbler Bf109.

Were the other planes to be able to pop flaps out open at higher speeds, it would seriously hurt the US planes as their relative advantage is immediately lost. I can't say it would be everytime, but certainly in many cases a 109 or a 190 would be able to follow a P-38 in slow-speed maneuvering, where it could not have currently.

I look very highly upon IL-2/FB, but the one serious drawback they have, is they've taken the 'realistic approach' to flaps, and ironically, have made the fights more or less unrealistic as a whole.

The way IL-2/FB depicts their flaps is probably what the AH P-38 pilots would want.. But because of that, all the planes there can use full flaps and gears at least 20~30mph higher than it could in AH. Overshoot maneuvers are incredibly harder to pull off than compared to AH, because when somebody senses an overshoot coming they can simply pop full flaps out and actutate the insta-air break mode.

Everyone, including all kinds of 'dweebs' and 'n00bs' are aware of this fact, and the exploitation of flap usage during combat is so high, that usage of flaps during maneuvering  has embedded itself as a mandatory lesson to be learnt when fighting.

In AH, using flaps means that we go into extreme low speed maneuvering. It takes skill and careful management to drop into such low speeds to fight. And only after we reach so low speeds, we begin to use flaps carefully, to squeeze out every possible drop of ACM possible in our planes. The US planes of AH maintain a huge and characteristic advantage over other planes of other airforces of the world.

In IL-2/FB, the flaps and gears in combat, are mandatory for all planes. They are one-touch air brakes/stability devices simply turned on/off. The only real discipline required is to not use full flaps(landing settings) over something like 350km/h(roughly about 218mph, and it's IAS, not even TAS!!) - combat or take-off settings can be used at much higher speeds and maintained that way.

Ofcourse, IL-2/FB doesn't have auto-retract. But for that piece of 'realism' the air combat has paid the price of 'unrealism'. The Messerchmitts of AH have reduced elevator authority at speeds over 300mph - over such speeds a US plane will outturn any 109. Well in FB, I simply chop throttle and pop out combat flap settings at those speeds - simple to use, simple to follow. I'd doubt any real-life pilot would feel so comfortable disregarding the warnings plane makers have issued during combat  in such a manner.. where failure of a plane equipment could mean life or death.

So I must comment, "becareful what you wish for".
« Last Edit: June 19, 2004, 01:23:34 AM by Kweassa »

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2004, 01:42:50 AM »
im happy when i hear of anything becoming weaker on that P38 its way to strong il set up behide one and its stronger then a P47 it seems llike

no way a P38 was that much stronger then the rest of the planes in RL as it is in AH:rolleyes:

kind of like the tempest is way to strong to
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2004, 04:17:34 AM »
In real life the P-38 was a very tough plane, could take a lot of damage and with basically double of everything, could bring the pilot back home where as a single engine plane couldn't.

Now, not saying it was rougher than the Jug, that thing was basically a tank with wings strapped on as an after thought, but it was a very tough plane.

There's a story about a flight of P-38s over the Pacific hearing a pilot cry out over the radio that he had lost an engine and sounded panicky on the radio.  The P-38 pilots, thinking this guy was a new pilot, tried to reassure the guy that he had a 2nd engine to fall back on.  That's when the guy piped up on the radio that he was a P-51D.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2004, 07:02:12 AM »
Here's another film of a low speed/stall fight against a P-38 and a N1K2.  There are some parts of the fight were you see me fight to keep the plane from snap rolling to one side.  It did feel like I had to fight that snap roll more than the planes I was fighting at times.  But then you'll hear my stall buzzer going off and I was riding the edge so it could have been accelerated stalls I was experiencing.  

Too bad my gunnery really sucks now, only managed a couple of minor hits on the P-38's wingtips a couple of times.  But I did manage to hold them both off until the cavalry arrived.

2v1

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2004, 12:43:17 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
In real life the P-38 was a very tough plane, could take a lot of damage and with basically double of everything, could bring the pilot back home where as a single engine plane couldn't.

Now, not saying it was rougher than the Jug, that thing was basically a tank with wings strapped on as an after thought, but it was a very tough plane.

There's a story about a flight of P-38s over the Pacific hearing a pilot cry out over the radio that he had lost an engine and sounded panicky on the radio.  The P-38 pilots, thinking this guy was a new pilot, tried to reassure the guy that he had a 2nd engine to fall back on.  That's when the guy piped up on the radio that he was a P-51D.

ack-ack

It seems I read a quote somewhere about a couple of WWII pilots talking, and the P38 guy says soemthing about "it was nice flying the '38, sometimes it brought me home on just one engine..",   and the other pilot (P51 or P47?) said soemting to the effect that "my plane ALWAYS brought me home on one engine!"

Online Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2004, 07:34:36 PM »
Kweassa, the P-38 has Fowler flaps with a combat setting, they were expressly intended to be used in combat, and as such, yes, they ARE a combat flight control, and a primary flight control for combat. The P-38 is a different animal. Not only did pilots use the Fowlers in combat, but they also used the dive flaps to pitch the nose up in combat as well. I know several who used them to make a successful snapshot to take out an enemy plane.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2004, 07:54:57 PM »
Kweassa, the P-38 has Fowler flaps with a combat setting, they were expressly intended to be used in combat, and as such, yes, they ARE a combat flight control, and a primary flight control for combat. The P-38 is a different animal. Not only did pilots use the Fowlers in combat, but they also used the dive flaps to pitch the nose up in combat as well. I know several who used them to make a successful snapshot to take out an enemy plane.

Basically all planes of the war (with possible exception of British two-stage flaps) with multiple flap positions either had 'combat' settings, or allowed pilot for its use during combat in certain situations.

However, that fact does not make any difference in that in AH the flap deployment is limited by recommended speeds mentioned in the pilots manuals. No reason to expect anything different with the P-38s at all.

The flaps will retract, if the plane speeds exceed the restriction speed. The only feasible alternative stated by HT, is them being damaged immediately - which is in no way anything I may consider something beneficial to the P-38 than it ever was.

(more discussions on this in the Gameplay Forums)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2004, 12:48:38 PM »
I was just in the MA stall fighting a Spit9 and spit14.

I went up over the top for a shot, 1 notch away from being full flaps. With out warning the 38 just stalled out into an uncontrolable flat spit. I was 10k when I entered into this stall. I went down to the deck and augerd being unable to regain control. I can see doing some radical manuvers and pushing things to the limits but this was not the case. At all... The plane gave no warning, no signs of being near the envelope, it just fell out of the sky and into the ground.

This was unheard of in the 38. IRL and in AH1.

This to me is unacceptable and proves to ME that there are still problems with the 38s flight Mod. This isn't the first time I have not been able to regain control of the 38 after going into a stall like this. But the first several times were at fairly low alt and I figured maybe I just need a little more alt and time to be able to regain control.

If you can't pull out of a bad stall from 10k in a 38 there is something wrong there... That was the first time ever in the 2 years of playing I have not been able to pull out of a stall, and at that alt... I fear it wont be the last.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2004, 03:06:20 PM »
I'm still not postive that there is something wrong with the low speed handling of the P-38.  Only once did the P-38 show a tendency to snap roll while turning hard at low speed and I was able to recover quickly.  

The other night I was sure that there might be something wrong with how hard I was struggling with the controls but last night I was flying for more aggressively than the other night.  Last night I was able to out turn and stall fight a Hurricane with only one elevator and aileron, a Spitfire without using flaps and bagged 3 out of 4 in a 4v1.  And not to mention the numerous kick bellybutton fights I had with Frenchy and Nomde.  Those guys always make me fly my plane to the extreme edges of the envelope.  I did not have the troubles with keeping the P-38 in control like I had the previous night.  So is there something wrong with the P-38 at low speeds?  There could be but at this point I'm still not convinced.

There are a couple of minor problems though.  On take off the shadow from the wings appear in front of the plane.  Glass tail does seem to be back.  And the P-38 gets this weird yaw motion sometimes on take off if you've got auto-take off enabled.

ack-ack

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
P-38 Still has Problems
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2004, 08:22:03 PM »
I find myself struggling a lot more than was neccessary in AHI to keep the 38 stable in low speed turns with the flaps out.  You really need a fine touch with the rudder to keep good control of it now.

That said, everyone else seems to be having a harder time as well, so things balance out.  I came out on top against a few La-5's today, one time missing an aileron.  It's got a couple of new quirks, but it's still a great fighter.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2004, 08:24:08 PM by Ecliptik »