Author Topic: cant find the stick set button.  (Read 147 times)

TT

cant find the stick set button.
« on: October 13, 1999, 04:32:00 PM »
duh.

TT

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 1999, 05:05:00 PM »
I should explain better. In WB there was a toggel button for stick sets. Is there such a button in this ver.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 1999, 09:26:00 PM »
The MS Profiler aint workin with the view system (obviously).

I wish Pyro would put together a stickset view file so I could mimic the system Im used to (he knows which one  .

Im not totally stupid and should be able to do these things easily but I am finding the necessary interface somewhat difficult to master.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 10-13-1999).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dogfighter.com
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 1999, 09:59:00 PM »
Dump the MS Profiler - it just throws a wrench in the works.  I would use it to enable RW or BC only and map absolutely everything else within AH.

Within WB I had one key within each stick set move on to the next set so I could cycle through them.  Not sure if this is possible in AH or if it has to be done strictly through the keyboard.

Cheers,

------------------
phaetnAT
Aces High Alpha Tester

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 1999, 10:18:00 PM »
Yes I will likely have to dump the profiler
but I would prefer to have it compatible
with AH if at all possible.
===========================
PS....I have just returned after a lengthy and frustrating attempt at getting my view keys and stickset to work with the profiler both active and closed.  No go. I am not getting any results.  I fear that I wont be able to compete under the present circumstances.

Y

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 10-13-1999).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 1999, 06:25:00 AM »
Yeager - what is it that you are trying to do with your views?

I have each eight level views mapped within AH to the hat.  Then I assign a button (on the base is my preference) to the "Up View" in AH; when I press the button I get a straight up view and when I hold it in conjunction with moving the hat I get the high angled views.  I don't use the down views because I don't see how they would be helpful given that all one would see is more cockpit -- if players switch around head positions that might not be the case.

Finally, I map the "HatUP" to the forward up view, which is the 45 degree angled view so crucial in a fight.  When I let off the hat I return to the normal view and I don't have to  press any other button to get the angled forward view apart from the hat.  The only downside to this is that in external views the up hat won't work when slewing around the plane... a small price to pay considering that they will be disabled on-line at some point for fighters, surely, and I can still manually use the NumPad 8 key to get that movement.

I have a MS FF Pro and have been able to duplicate my WB setup in regards to views, flaps, etc, and am starting to work on stick sets (though I use only two -- one for combat, the other for T/O and landings and bombing runs).  My view system doesn't change according to stick set -- the only thing I haven't tried to do is see if I can map a "move to stick set x" button on the stick.  Even so, I often found I did that on the KB in WB to avoid confusion.

v.0.35 now also supports more than 8 buttons.  That means the base "shift" button on MS stuff (FF Pro, Precision Pro, etc) can be mapped as Button10.  This is what I use as the toggle for the "up view".

Only thing lacking for me currently is FF support -- that will come in time.  I don't use the Profiler for anything within AH (or WB for that matter).  For both I only run it with one key enabled to toggle the transmit key in Roger Wilco.  If the in-game vox system developed for AH is good enough I won't even have to run that.

I don't know if they would suit you, but I would be more than happy to send you my .cfg files for AH.  E-mail me at phaetn@dogfighter.com if you want to check them out.

Cheers,

------------------
phaetnAT
Aces High Alpha Tester

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 1999, 09:50:00 AM »
TT,

Go to Setup/Stick Mapping/Global Keys, and select the button that you want to use to switch stick sets.  I had to experiment a bit to see which button my CH Combatstick was sending, but it didn't take long, and works GREAT.  

popeye
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

TT

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 1999, 12:16:00 PM »
 Phaetn. That is a work around. I read HT telling someone the other day that they wanted to get past workarounds. WB has a Use stick set 1 2 3 4 command and a toggel stick set 1 2 3 4 command. Its there for a reason. Im guessing that HT or PYRO wrote these commands. so its not like they dont know how .

Offline phaetn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 1999, 02:44:00 PM »
Sorry, I don't understand the question then.  My way isn't a work around, its how I like it and have always used it in WB.  I like having the same button switch the angle for views for me because I find it easy to pan the sky that way and can rotate both the hat and the view angle quickly.

Do you want to map the up views to the hat using different stick sets?  That's easy to do.

Sticks sets are mapped as Popeye says for the joystick; that means you can use a joystick button to move to a specified stick set.  For instance: BUT1,SET1 moves to Set2; BUT1,SET2 moves to Set3; BUT1,SET3 moves back to Set1.  That way one can cycle through stick sets using the same button.  If you don't know how a particular button is identified press it and the corresponding label should highlight in the mapper.

Alternatively, (what I have gone to now) you can map stick sets through the keyboard in the Keymapper.  I have fooled around with the map and now use F5, F6, F7 and F8 to get me to each of the four stick sets.

If I wanted, I could make Hat1 Left be angled down in Set1, level in Set2 and angled up in Set3.  Is that the sort of thing you are after?  Again, you could switch sets using either the joystick or the keyboard.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by toggle since I never used it in WB; when I tried to map it, it automatically switched it to "switch" in the WB keymap.  Maybe it was the inverse -- I never had both in any event.

In AH, if you want a toggle, in stick set 2 make a reference to 1 and in stick set one make a reference to 2 for the same key.

I hope I don't sound obtuse...    I just don't know how what you are trying to do is different from what I am explaining.  Toggle to me sounds like an on/off two position affair activated by either one keystroke or one joystick button -- you can create that if you like.  Alternatively you can make the same "switch" work across three or four sets.

If anything, AH offers greater mapping possibilities then WB.  In the latter joystick mapping is linked to the keyboard mapping (although, admittedly, once could get up to four separate key functions per button).  In AH stick mapping is entirely distinct from keymapping so functions can be achieved on the stick that aren't even mapped on the keyboard, or vice versa.  In my experience with WB, if there isn't a keystroke associated with a function, there is no way to map it to the stick.

Clear as mud to me.    

Can you explain what you mean by toggle effect does if it is different than what I have stated?

Thanks and cheers,

[Edited content below]
It just occured to me what toggle could do... it would temporarily use the stick set only as long as the button is held down.  Is that right?

In what instance do you need to use this?  For views?  Do you have a four way hat and need a different stick set to use the diagonals?  I suppose the difference there is rather than simply letting off the button once has to press it again... not much different really: hold for a while (long effort) versus press once (short effort) and press once again (short effort).

I guess it is all a question of getting used to something.  Probably not better or worse, just different.

Cheers
------------------
phaetnAT
Aces High Alpha Tester

[This message has been edited by phaetn (edited 10-14-1999).]