Author Topic: Second Flight Rattled me....  (Read 531 times)

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
Second Flight Rattled me....
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 05:15:18 PM »
So there I was, Line was tight, Pattern clear, wagged my rudder, and tow plane started roll out. Got up to speed lifted off flying about three feet off ground and waited for tow plane to get up to speed. Halfway down runway got hit with a nice "little" gust of right crosswind. My instructor calmly tells my that there are about to be some problems if I dont get centered and low.

I promptly give full right rudder and nose down. Cross wind stopped. I went to far right and down to low. Bounced plane on the wheel hard enough that I knew I had a 4 point belt on and happened to recover just in time to see the tow plane lift off.

Amazing what all can happen in 10-20 seconds. Instructor told me I did ok at my recovery. By ok he meant that I did keep from crashing the two planes. He also explained how that take off was a good example of how alot of unexpected things can go wrong at once.

Go back to school.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 07:39:03 PM »
Thanks for the tips, Golfer.

I've got 5-6 more Skyways mags from the 1940's if your interested.

Shoot me an e-mail and I'll get them down to you.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2004, 09:14:15 PM »
Muck,

Don't sweat it. It likely wasn't as bad as you thought it was or the instructor WOULD have taken the plane over. Remember this is real and not a simple computer game. Give yourself some time and a break. Just because you fly ok in the game doesn't mean you can insantly fly for real. Chill and enjoy your nex lesson. ;)
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2004, 09:30:32 PM »
Don't worry Muck... it'll happen so fast you won't be able to say ""Ohhh  Chit..."   it'll all be slow motion then fade to black...

:(

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 09:49:18 PM »
Heck, it was 6 flights before I would keep my eyes open on takeoff!  :D   (just kidding)

Seriously, anything less than perfect is a great learning experience, and as you have now learned, few flights would ever be called perfect.  

Don't worry about it, just think about what you did that you don't think was right, and try to do it better next time.   Even if you shook yourself a little, you are still alive, the plane is still flyable, and there will be another day.

So relax, have fun and make it about the fun of learning.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 12:13:35 AM »
Muck, it's normal.

Ask your instructor if he has another student that you can ride backseat with. It will help you by seeing how other students fly, and you can shave a decent amount of time from your own training by watching.

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 02:53:03 AM »
I guess if it were my first few flights I would be busy feeling and not thinking.