Author Topic: Recalling retired soldiers  (Read 1057 times)

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
Recalling retired soldiers
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2004, 10:48:43 PM »
Toad,

Keep hammering and good luck to ya!

:aok

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2004, 10:55:20 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
The numbers on the chart don't add up either as percentages or totals, do they?

ah, they're per 100k numbers.

So in '02 there were 34.4/100K accidental deaths and  1.1/100k hostile action deaths, right?

You're right, I thought I was looking at this one.

http://web1.whs.osd.mil/mmid/casualty/Death_Rates.pdf

Edit: Here's the Iraqi Freedom casualty statistics by type.

http://web1.whs.osd.mil/mmid/casualty/OIF-Total.pdf

Of course, Iraqi Freedom has been longer than a year.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 10:58:13 PM by Thrawn »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2004, 10:58:29 PM »
Now you just need hostile action deaths in Iraq in '03 and '04 and accidental deaths in those same years and you will have beaten a factoid into insensibility.

You might win your point though.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Recalling retired soldiers
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2004, 10:58:42 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
After 20 years you are eligible for a pension but you dont actually retire until you reach 30....prior to 30 years you are on "retention pay"

I retired after 20 in the AF. Don't think it works the way you mentioned in the AF. I was told that I was subject to recall indefinitely. I have a better chance at winning the lottery than being recalled now though.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 12:21:16 AM »
Originally posted by fd ski
Then again, they aren't recalling Navy :D

...yet...

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 12:59:52 AM »
But to say they are safer..
The sample size is everything.
Lets say that of the 1.5 million(number out of my but) servicemen in the army more then 800 die in trafic accidents.
But of the 25000 infantry in Iraq lets say 400 where killed. The chance of being killed in Iraq as an infanteer would be man y many many times the chance of dieing in a car accident.

The canadian army in ww2(and most armys) hid how dangerous it was to be in the infantry by hiding the deaths vs the stat of the whole army. The army had a casualty rate of 12%. The infantry had a casuralty rate of nearly 98%. Most of them had been injured. Some several times. The  fatality rate was nearly 45%. something like that.

The sample size makes a huge differenc e for comparing how dangerours it is.

once again. all numbers fabricated. The 98% of canadian infantry was a real one though..

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2004, 01:02:00 AM »
From the CNN article on the callup:

About 2,000 such troops, who don't train regularly like active reservists but still have time left on their commitment to the military, have already returned to duty, most voluntarily.

Interesting, I thought.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2004, 01:34:42 AM »
Well we can error on the side of caution and go with 145,000 deployed, that was the highest number.

So  607 x 100,000 / 145,000  = 419.

Over 1 year and about four months (once again on the side of caution.

419 / 16 x 12 = 314 dying due to hostilies in Iraq per 100,000, per annum.

"Now you just need hostile action deaths in Iraq in '03 and '04 and accidental deaths in those same years and you will have beaten a factoid into insensibility."

Getting there.  But there is also a higher number of proportional accidents happening in Iraq as well.

149 in Iraq.  Which is about 77 per 100,000 per annum.

The point being saying, "just comparing deaths here....MORE US servicmen Die in car accidents every year than have died in Iraq.....it a statistical fact...", isn't only misleading, it's also probably wrong.

In 2000 400 there were US military casualties due to accidents, even if they were all due to motor vehicle accidents, and that was out of over 1.5 million active US military personel.

Anyways, consider the factoid beaten out of sensibility.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2004, 11:15:45 AM »
After 9/11 I called and tried to get back I was politely but firmly told there were no plans to recall any retired soldiers. I'm past my mandatory retirement date now but would be happy to go back.

They posted an article, Army Times IIRC what I read last week, that Title X prevents recall of retiree's. The Army is also about 20,000 over mandatory maximum allowed numbers with the stop loss actions in place. I don't have the paper right now but I'll see if I can locate it again.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2004, 11:23:47 AM »
Originally posted by fd ski
4 years here, i haven't read that find print sandman :)

Then again, they aren't recalling Navy :D
Like they'd need a couple of old Viking mechs like us. :lol

'sides I did 8 years:D