Author Topic: Thoughts on the new patch?  (Read 1331 times)

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
Thoughts on the new patch?
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2004, 10:05:05 AM »
Why are there so few posts on "I like the + & - addition"

If we all liked the same things it would really be a boring world. :p

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2004, 10:23:10 AM »
I could really care less about the +/- thing.  I was fine with the original AH2 icons.  800....600...400FIRE!!!

600...800...   bah find something abit slower to shoot.

SKurj

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2004, 10:34:07 AM »
Don't like it at all
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2004, 10:34:28 AM »
I like the +/- infact i wonder if I need range #'s if I have a +/-
Ludere Vincere

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2004, 10:56:20 AM »
That aint gonna happen tilt...

I liked the icons before the + / -. I like them still being under the plane. But the + / - is clearly a bone thrown to those who complained with out really taking the time to adjust.

I dont see how it adds anything. It just seems like clutter to me.

IMHO a better solution would be fade in icons etc...

Offline Wurger

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2004, 11:31:07 AM »
Don't like the +/-, just more distractions.  If you need help seeing, just use the ZOOM feature to get a better look.  I really liked the previous AH2 icons...
Bazi
The Flying Circus

Offline fluffy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2004, 11:32:44 AM »
+ - is useful when you see a plane reversing - you can tell if he is turning towards you or away. Was useful in the CT last night where we were having some terrific 109 vs. P51/P38 dogfights with lots of vertical manoeuvers. You could also tell right away with a sideways glance when that distant 109 was heading in to the fight or going home.  

The whole point of moving away from the AHI icon system is that you are now forced to do a little range estimation on your own when deciding on lead, when to open fire, etc.  That's why people take such pains to make range estimating gunsights to help give a rough idea of when the target is ~250 yards out front.  The addition of the +/- symbol was suggested and discussed at length in this bulletin board, and HTC has actually implemented what was a popular suggestion.  It is a compromise between having your ranges spoon-fed to you, and the less informative icons present in the first versions of AHII which caused consternation to some.  PLUS - having NME icons under their plane makes low 6 sneakups more possible, and nap-of-the-earth escapades more possible.

Fighter pilots spent much of their ground time studying range and angle-off charts of enemy aircraft during WWII. Only modern radar based gunsights give ranging values, and only through the HUD.

We can complain that our display systems are too crude to emulate real life, but we also have a luxury which the WWII RL pilots didn't have: that of being able to engage in an infinite number of live-fire exercises, and thus hone our estimation skills with the systems we do have.

I'm running a low end system with a 17" screen, but I would prefer NO range icons at all - personally, for me or my opponents.  I say the new system is a good all-round compromise and say 'THANKS' to HTC for actually responding to our suggestions.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2004, 12:07:23 PM »
I don't get it ... the "clutter" thing.

I use icons to determine who is my most potential threat or who and what order I am going to attack. This is all determined at a range where digesting this information is not a problem.

When the fight is on, I don't even see this stuff. I use the 13th TAS Dot 'O Death for a gunsight and I don't even see that when I am engaged. I am too busy concentrating on my target trying to get the best guns solution.

Yes, while engaged, I will look around (SA) to see if I am still clear, but never long enough to actually interpret whether anyone is closing or going away (even with the old AH I icon system). You just don't have the time or luxury to look in one direction for that long of a time and still try to kill the guy in front of you.

I got jumped last nigth by at least 8 guys in my Spit V for at least 2 minutes before they got me. All I did was keep looking around ... see a number(s) ... make a decision. Never did I look to see if it was + or - and if it this had happened in AH I, I would never have had the time to watch numbers count up or down either.

I believe that the + and - are a great addition to tell us the type of closure or separation that is taking place when the size of the aircraft on a computer monitor can't really tell you that.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2004, 12:18:11 PM »
Originally posted by Hornet
The +/- will probably cut down on some of the whining which is probably good.

I did thoroughly enjoy the previous icons though. You really had to put effort in to reading an opponents E-state, and you could hide your E with devastating effect.

a lotta folks who were more icon focused rather than planeform focused in AH1 really struggled because both their judgement of E and their gunnery tanked without the rangecounter.

ditto! Hornet
also I have no problem seeing the plane increase or decrease in size when under 2k distance.
I too have wondered about the dot shading that seems to have changed in dots ( planes) out of icon range. Use to see them as a light colored pixel growing darker as they get closer. Now seems to be just a black dot  until in icon range. Buffs are still easier to notice though beyond icon range as soon as they get with in that what is 10k threshold?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2004, 12:25:34 PM »
Just more junk on the screen for me.  May as well just turn range counters back on like they were.  More information with the same (or in the case of the old AH1 way less) clutter is always better.

But nobody said this was a democracy, it ain't a deal breaker.  (however the new stutters/pauses are - had to log off after new patch last night. Surely will be fixed though)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 12:27:43 PM by Zanth »

Offline sickbird

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2004, 03:27:32 PM »
I think the +/- icons are an improvement over what we have.  At least I can easily tell if I'm gaining on someone or vice versa.

That said, I like the AH1 icon much better.

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2004, 03:53:37 PM »
I think the +/- icons are an improvement over what we have. At least I can easily tell if I'm gaining on someone or vice versa.

You could tell easily before....you just had to look longer and pay attention to the increment of decrement. Took away from SA a bit but isnt that the way it should be? Even with great eyes it would take a second or two to analyze the con, identify it, and decide if it was a threat.

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2004, 03:55:19 PM »
Originally posted by sickbird
That said, I like the AH1 icon much better.

Amen, the original Icons in the AH1 Model were far superior to the + -  rubbish. Why did we change that to begin with? There is somethine to be said with "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" here I think.
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD