Author Topic: Thoughts on the new patch?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline Jasta

• Copper Member
Thoughts on the new patch?
« on: June 24, 2004, 07:59:52 PM »
Anyone?

Im especially looking for input on the + or - thingy.

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 08:09:26 PM »
Sounds like a blow to realism to me :-(

I'll give it a go on the weekend, to see what it means.

In my opinion, a pilot should have to judge for themselves if you are closing or losing an enemy. This new 'feature' provides information that should not be freely given.

I had hoped that the laser rangefinder had died a death. This appears to be a move back in that direction. Not impressed.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2004, 08:11:28 PM »
Considering its a "game", not everything can be as realistic as you want.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2004, 08:11:55 PM »
How can you tell if you are getting closer to a pixel?

It doesn't change in size or any of the things that we take for granted here in reality.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 08:24:23 PM »
If i remember right, we had this +/- icon thing when it was in early beta.

NOT that bad but I still like the old style of icons.

For you realizzm buffs... You know you can turn your icons off if you wish... Right?

I give you a week flying like that before you turn them back on.;)
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 08:29:34 PM »
I like the old range icons much better. Now it's just more clutter, + or -.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 08:44:07 PM »
What I dont get, whats the diff now? was anyone really reading 564, 563, 562 etc. or just seeing if the number was getting smaller. + - might as well be range with 200 yard margins
But i don't care - I'm not gonna nitpick everything they do :D

Offline Hornet

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 08:47:22 PM »
The +/- will probably cut down on some of the whining which is probably good.

I did thoroughly enjoy the previous icons though. You really had to put effort in to reading an opponents E-state, and you could hide your E with devastating effect.

a lotta folks who were more icon focused rather than planeform focused in AH1 really struggled because both their judgement of E and their gunnery tanked without the rangecounter.
Hornet

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 09:59:47 PM »
I dunno, toyed with it a bit tonight, found it more distracting than anything.

Who knew these planes had computational Heads Up Displays?

I'd like a way to toggle it off...and the mouse pointer for that matter!  :)

Offline Darkish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004, 10:12:06 PM »
Couldn't agree more Hornet - on a purely selfish note, it took me a couple of weeks to get the hang of the new style counters in beta and I found the fights more immersing.  I actually believe it helped me to fly better in the end because my SA was forced to improve.

I do not believe that making something easier necessarily makes it better, and as far as this change goes (imho as relative noob - self assesed) it's just more clutter on the screen.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2004, 10:38:22 PM »
i love the + -  thing.

liek somone else said in this post how can you see if you are gaining on a pixel (or 2 for that matter).

with my 17" plain old viewsonic i can see what you all can see. best i can run is 1024X768 (moniter doesnt suppotr higher without diving to 55-60hz refresh)

especially with the skins now available, there is almost no plane recognition possible for me unless inside 200 yards, then with that green p51D skin i still cant tell if it's a B or D.

with the icon system limited like before this patch the game is almost an elite rich person only game. only people with the money to get an awsome system can play at the maximun settings. anyone playing with a signifantly lesser system "can" run the game but will suffer in abilities exponentially.

not to mention older people playing with not soo good eyesight. i know some people with minium systems, who can't afford to upgrade trying to play, and almost giving up because they have to set the graphic detail so low.

i think the new +/- icon thing is a concession for lesser systems, so they can at least have a feel for what is going on in the air, if some of the realism demanders want to isolate a part of the community so the game is the way "they" want it.. so be it, but i dont think that is in HiTechcreations business plan.

on a side note i have noticed significant frame rate increases with this latest patch! WTFG HiTech and crew, you done really good IMHO!!!!
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2004, 10:43:48 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
How can you tell if you are getting closer to a pixel?

It doesn't change in size or any of the things that we take for granted here in reality.

How can you tell you are getting closer to a plane at distance?  you can't until u get some relative motion after focusing on it for a bit.

My preference is no + or -, for what its worth.
JG11

Vater

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2004, 10:54:14 PM »

His point is you can see clearly a lot farther than a computer monitor can clearly render at normal resolutions.  Hence why we have the icons in the first place.

J_A_B

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2004, 10:55:13 PM »
I prefer, NO + or -

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2004, 11:02:57 PM »
Just clutter to me. My screen is crapola, my processor stinks, I am barely running 30FPS at medium alts. I like the way it was before.

This to me is the same as AH1 just a different way to display it. If your going to have this then go back to AH1 style, or better yet just take it back to where it was in release 2.

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron