Author Topic: CV Guns, and Strafing  (Read 324 times)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
CV Guns, and Strafing
« on: June 27, 2004, 01:11:38 PM »
This is kinda lame imo, CV's were seriously easy to kill before, now we have planes strafing the guns down on them, I was on a CV this AM and a C hog Knocked out all the guns on the Island with one strafing pass, including the 5 Inch.

Offline MOIL

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ltar.org
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2004, 02:02:05 PM »
That always happened in WWII:rolleyes:

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 02:52:04 PM »
aim better to kill em BEFORE they knock out your gun.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 03:12:08 PM by WilldCrd »
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 04:09:45 PM »
Also, appoint the better thinking players as admirals(or at least hope a smart one gets control of the TG).

The main strength of TGs lie in the fact that they are mobile airfields. Able to change positions, sneak into range unnoticed, and attack targets which positions are already known, while its own position stays hidden.

Once an attack launches, and planes are caught on radar, it means the position of the TG can be guessed out and confirmed.

And a discovered TG, is a dead TG - unless constant air power defends it against all incursions, or at least, defends it so the interval of successful enemy attacks, are longer than repair time.

Even if gun positions and radar can be damaged, a TG is a pretty solid defense platform. If the enemies can get close enough to strafe guns dead, and the loss of those few guns are so severe an impact in the battle, then it means the commander of the TG made the wrong choice of putting the TG into unnecessary danger. It should have retreated a bit until CAPs reformed, and defenses were back up.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2004, 06:23:05 PM »
Some sucide tard will always get close enough to strafe the guns dead, my god listen to that...Strafe the guns dead on a ship..lol, the insanity of it is comical, but then again this is a game.
  While I realy do love 99% of all the new and imporved aspects of AHII this is one I dont at all care for.

............................. ......

Good Thing they dident strafe the guns, or she would realy of been screwd:)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 06:43:54 PM by brady »

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2004, 06:50:15 PM »
I find it hard to believe that a 20mm can take out a 5 inch gun, but then again those Hizookas are amazing.  :rolleyes:
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2004, 07:21:25 PM »
Actually, I am reading a book about the USAAF in the SW pacific, and I've read several stories about planes strafing ships to knock out the AAA.  

Whats the downtime on ship AAA?  Perhaps it should only be a couple of minutes, to reflect people being killed or abandoning their gun before the gun is manned again.

I haven't been on either side of a ship strafing, so I don't know.

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2004, 07:28:31 PM »
Maybe implement this: The guns that can be manned, it would be possible for a plan to wound the gunner? Nah that would be to easy probably. Forget it. :D

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2004, 10:16:27 PM »
I watched a die acked CV get strafed to deth this evening.

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
CV Guns, and Strafing
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2004, 11:09:55 PM »
I don't really mind being able to strafe the 20mm auto-acks, as long as the downtime isn't too long.  But the 5" guns?  Come on.  Only bombs should be able to hurt those.  They're encased in foot-thick armor, pretty much.

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
cv guns
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 07:02:04 PM »
it was very rare for a fighter plane to take out any ack in a fleet,Now many fighters yes sometimes but even many fighters almost never took out an enclosed gun re 5 inch and above with just guns. many of the players talk about more real give me a break[i may address this in future] yesterday i was on a carrier in 5 inch and a zero took out most of the guns with it 20mm did i miss no although sometimes i do. i hit it 5 times .not complaining just happens as u all know.a balance between realistic[oh please] and more action would seem to be better.we had great battles between cv gunners and bombers in ah1 . few in 1 or 2 could bomb like tator or 999000 or slim jim,fewer still could shoot like the ltars, falcon and others. as it is the cv are useless for taking bases.
thanks for chance to vent      demaw1