Author Topic: ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers and CTD  (Read 643 times)

Offline quig

• Nickel Member
ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers and CTD
« on: June 27, 2004, 06:10:17 PM »
Anyone having CTD/lock-ups with ATI Radeon cards & Windows XP might want to read this.

I installed the latest drivers from http://www.ati.com, version 6.14.10.6451 dated 6/9/04. I was getting constant crashes when my Video Memory went above 90 MB used on my 9800 Pro 128 MB.

Rolled back my drivers to a version I was using while AHII was still in Beta and haven't had a single problem yet (version 6.14.10.6444 dated 4/7/04).

For some reason AHII is reporting my Vid Mem as 120.6 MB rather than 128 MB, but I played for hours last night with the VidMem Used showing as 118 to 120 MB and never had a CTD.

This is running at 1280x1024, 6x AA, 60 MHz (monitor limits), 1024 Max Texture Size and the in-game sliders toward Quality.

You can get the driver here: http://www.ati.com/support/products/radeonwinxppreviousdrivers.html

1st one on the page. This is for Windows XP.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 07:12:50 AM »
I use cat 4.6's on a 9800 pro under XP and I've had one CTD in the last 4 days, can't recall now if it was patch 3 or 4...

SKurj

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 10:16:10 AM »
Quig,

Have you tried the optimized drivers from www.omegadrivers.net ? The latest Omega drivers for Radeon cards (2K/XP) is 2.5.51 based on the Catalyst 4.6 drivers from ATI. I have never had a "lockup" with either the ATI or the Omega drivers, so it may be something else. I am using XP Home Edition with the 9800 XT card, btw.

Here is a comment (from ATI) on the Omega website recognizing this guys work on optimizing their drivers...

(11/09/03)

The Omega Drivers have been recognized by ATI as the best moddeed drivers in the internet!!!

Here is a quote from Terry Makedon when he was interviewed by a German Magazine:

"ATI supports the enthusiast community wholly. Omega Drivers are in fact a good example of ATI’s user community at its best. What they are in principle are CATALYST drivers with different settings enabled via registry keys and other such methods. This provides users an alternative to ATI’s CATALYST default settings. While there are a few different modification drivers out in the community our relationship with the creator of the Omega Drivers is of the highest working standard. The author of these drivers is part of the CATALYST beta driver testing team, and also in direct contact with ATI. In fact we would go so far as to say that if a user chooses to go the mod driver route, they go with the Omega Drivers."

Check em out !

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 10:38:00 AM »
Used both Omegas and Catlyst Drivers.

When I play AH my vid mem sometimes shows at only 119.5

when I have a 128 meg card.

Something funny tho....if I play Rainbow 6 before playing AH, and I log into AH, my memory shows at 128.5....and that occurs after every time I play rainbow 6.

If I don't play rainbow 6 before logging onto AHII, my vid mem will be below 120....splain dat lucy...and it happens all the time.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 12:00:28 PM »
YMMV of course but I get better frame-rates with the catalyst drivers than the omega ones, I don't know the exact versions at this time but they were both downloaded the same day back in early June. This is on a 9800-Pro-256.

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 02:27:47 PM »
Lucy got some "s'plainin to do" allright....

Thats totally wierd.

Offline quig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 11:16:05 PM »
Originally posted by Hyrax81st
Quig,

Have you tried the optimized drivers from www.omegadrivers.net ?

Heading there now to give them a shot.

(Finally got this thing stable. About to screw something up and spend a week trying to fix it. I can feel it :D)

Thanks

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 06:33:50 AM »
Hyrax...got that right...it is weird but it's a fact.

Could be video config in rainbow6...hell....I don't know.

Whatever it is.... and I can't "splain "it.  I can get full usage of my vid mem. (128.5) by playing rainbow six 3 before playing AH.
Logged on last night to AH and vid mem showed 122.4 in tower.
Exited...started Rainbow six 3...exited logged onto AH...voila! VId mem is 128.5. It's magic lol.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 09:26:16 AM »
HT was using older drivers on his ATI.  When he updated to the latest drivers, he ran into some of the problems that people have reported.  He's currently working through those issues.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 10:23:36 AM »
Thnks Pyro
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 02:55:43 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
HT was using older drivers on his ATI.  When he updated to the latest drivers, he ran into some of the problems that people have reported.  He's currently working through those issues.

Take HT a burger and some Fig Newtons so he won`t have to stop working on this prob.
  I hope he finds an answer.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 02:33:46 AM »
Buggy buggy game.  I have spent almost $1000.00 on upgrades to run this game.  Fix it.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 03:08:29 AM »
I've had 1 CTD so far using the Catalyst drivers. I use teh X800 card, memory is never close to being used up heh.

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 11:06:38 AM »
How does the x800 card perform in AH2?

Max settings or ?