Author Topic: Why the small maps in MA?  (Read 712 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Why the small maps in MA?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2004, 09:28:56 AM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee
I still dont understand why anyone has so much trouble finding a fight on any map at any time. unless of course they want to climb to 20-30k ft. But even then the climbout time is the same no matter the map or the size of the online roster.
Is there something i am missing? :)
As the saying goes...."You can lead a horse to water...but you cant make him drink." But i can clearly see you delima even if it is self induced by other players. One is left to think that if a player truly wanted to mix it up...he /she would just move in closer to the action and take off at a base 20-30 miles from the action no?

I keep seeing the same complaint about not being able to find a fight. I dont buy into it. but I see it. LOL
I also never have a problem finding a fight no matter what the map. including pizza. What you dont see is alot of HUGE furballs everywhere  that you are pretty much forced into on the small maps. So maybe thats what they are whining about.
I can however buy inot the arguement that on pizza some of the bases are a bit too far apart and can stand to be moved jusst a tad closer together but this can be negated by not going into full autoclimb on takeoff and using a shallower grab which your probably better off with anyway as then you have more E to fight with should you need it.
 also  converting some of the GV bases into airbases would be a big step in the right direction. Furballs in the canyons I think would be a real blast...In more ways then one :D

I do hope we can get off these small and IMHO outdated maps sometime soon though. I think if I see Minindoodoo map one more time Im gonna puke in FLIT's cockpit.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 09:31:23 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Why the small maps in MA?
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2004, 09:39:15 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Sheesh Brady, give em a chance to get the big maps converted!  I think HTC have their hands full with smoothing out the bugs at the momet.   :D

hmm this is true.
Ok fix the bugs first. Make my framerates more stable PLEASE!
Or atleast help me find a way to keep them from dropping from the 70's and 80's down the teens and low 20s without making the graphics look like AWDOS

In the meantime Can we PLEASE see a little less of Minindoodoo?
Like have it rotate in about every 6 months or so?

:)
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Gloves

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2004, 10:01:10 AM »
Just curious.  Did HTC ever build a large map or were they all created by the community?  If created by the community, will HTC upgrade them or only the ones they created?

Glove

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2004, 11:03:16 AM »
Why did we not BETA test all the maps to be used in AH2 to provide a better selection after launch?

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2004, 11:26:55 AM »
Originally posted by kevykev56
I would try my best to get that 110 to 40K...better make the mountains 60K to keep me out. :D

RHIN0
60 it is then. :)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2004, 11:59:17 AM »
Flossy, I was not realy geting on their case just expressing my personal openion of the small/map big big map issue, I had asumed that the larger maps were ready since I heard that they had used one in the Beta, but then again I heard that.:)

I do love AH, obviously since I have been playing it in one capacity or another for a few years now, howeaver I still feal the nead to be honest and if I dont care for somthing I will say so, for the betterment of the game and the comunity, to not do so would be a diservice to that comunity.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2004, 03:01:56 PM »
Well to add a counter--

I wouldn't mind one bit of those needlessly huge maps NEVER came back  :)

J_A_B

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2004, 03:13:14 PM »
Originally posted by Xargos
13Promet, it's good to see you.  How are you liking AH2?

Nice to see you too
I like the gameplay more than AH1, but graphics are deluding to me by now.
Anyway my opinion is suspended until all the bugs are gone: still have many FPS/freezes probs. And until I get a better looking sea surface :D

Best regards

Promet

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2004, 03:27:28 PM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee
Correct me if im wrong though . But all maps large and small have opposing bases at  roughly 25 to 30 miles apart at any given time. Even the OZkansas map has that little cluster of AB and VB's at the center of the map. I still dont understand why anyone has so much trouble finding a fight on any map at any time. unless of course they want to climb to 20-30k ft. But even then the climbout time is the same no matter the map or the size of the online roster.
Is there something i am missing? :)

Yes.
Given that not every pilot is willing to meet as many cons as possible, then: more fields>more take off options>less concentration of planes in the space>less contact probability.

Anyway I was not willing to flame on this subject: people have different wishes (i.e. bomber pilots and safe flying fighters usually prefer huge maps), and the current rotation system is OK to me as well.
The only one i really can't stand is Big Isles, but luckilly I haven't seen it for a while.

@beet1e
I don't think that map size really affects the "interloping" phenomenon: it's more likely to depend of fields distance.
But doubling distances between fields would really kill gameplay for most users: I don't think many people would like to perform 60 miles (realistic) transfers for possibly fighting for 2 minutes.  I would not for sure.
It's a game, at last ;)

Best regards

Promet

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Why the small maps in MA?
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2004, 04:14:37 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Make my framerates more stable PLEASE!
Do you have VSync turned on?  You should - overall framerate will be lower, but more consistent.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 04:44:03 PM »
Originally posted by brady
I heard that they had used one in the Beta, but then again I heard that.

I do belive i remember a large map in one of the betas. I think it was OZkansas...But im not 100% sure.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2004, 06:49:11 PM »
Yeah..... I think I remember now.....l but it was FesterMA I think.  In fact I believe that was the first AH2 map we had.

NP Brady..... I do understand.  ;)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2004, 06:56:27 PM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Yeah..... I think I remember now.....l but it was FesterMA I think.  In fact I believe that was the first AH2 map we had.

NP Brady..... I do understand.  ;)

Yep...Dats it. ty Flossy :)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2004, 07:06:39 PM »
The line for the AHII  TE starts behind me!!!!!!!!!!!!

NUTTZ

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why the small maps in MA?
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2004, 08:12:59 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Do you have VSync turned on?  You should - overall framerate will be lower, but more consistent.

Ok wil find out soon enough. It was set  to off but had "aplication controled" box checked.
So I assumed that if AH needed it on the the AH software would turn it on itself.

Anyway. Should find out tonight if it helps.
Thank you
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty