Author Topic: Why the small maps in MA?  (Read 713 times)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
Why the small maps in MA?
« on: June 29, 2004, 07:55:24 PM »
Whear are the Big ones at? we keep rotating through the smaller ones.

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 08:13:30 PM »
I think they are still being put together...with the new buildings and stuff i mean....or maybe this might be the rotation of small map week but that i am not sure about :(

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 09:40:03 PM »
duno. But i do know that the small maps are going to be in AH2 forever. I dont like them at all. I really really hope they are going to bring the large maps back. Fester said he didnt want to make any more large maps..
http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=120873&referrerid=7566

At first he said "Game Play" was part of the reason....Then he explained the the large ones were going to be a lot more work than before.
Festers OZKansas was my ALL TIME FAVORITE map of AH to date.. very pleasing to the eye.. and the game play was just fine. I still dont understand hows comes guys cant "Find good fights" close by on large maps. I have absolutly NO trouble getting killed very soon after take off. :D And no....im not lifting from NME caped feilds. Anyways....if we are going to be stuck with small maps.....then hurry with the large ones ASAP. :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 09:42:17 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 09:43:33 PM »
there is no terrain editor available for AH2 yet. HTC has to convert old maps from AH1 so they will work in AH2, Im sure this takes a while.

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 09:52:03 PM »
I dont care at all for the Small maps, they were fine way back when but now now,  I figured I would deal with them for a week, or untill they rotated to the Big Maps, but now I am kinda put off AH II Untill I see a Big one back in the MA.

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2004, 09:55:57 PM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
there is no terrain editor available for AH2 yet. HTC has to convert old maps from AH1 so they will work in AH2, Im sure this takes a while.

Correction:  There is no terrain editor available to the public, but HTC may have a working one they use before releasing it.  Ya never know:D

Offline 13Promet

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 04:46:15 AM »
American players please consider the other side of the coin: huge maps are basically unplayable at european/asian/australian playing time, when 100-150 players only are in the arena. They turn the game from air combat to airlining.
But I agree them to be better when 300+ are in.
What about daytime-based map changes ?

Best regards
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 04:48:57 AM by 13Promet »

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 05:42:00 AM »
13Promet, it's good to see you.  How are you liking AH2?
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 06:13:01 AM »
Originally posted by 13Promet
American players please consider the other side of the coin: huge maps are basically unplayable at european/asian/australian playing time, when 100-150 players only are in the arena. They turn the game from air combat to airlining.
But I agree them to be better when 300+ are in.
What about daytime-based map changes ?

Best regards

Hmmmm Now there is the first reasonable explaination in the Large vs Small map debate i have read in a LONG time.
Many report that they cant find a fight in a large map without flying for an half hour. But not once has anyone explained it the way you have (player count factored in) and i have done a LOT of reading :)
Correct me if im wrong though . But all maps large and small have opposing bases at  roughly 25 to 30 miles apart at any given time. Even the OZkansas map has that little cluster of AB and VB's at the center of the map. I still dont understand why anyone has so much trouble finding a fight on any map at any time. unless of course they want to climb to 20-30k ft. But even then the climbout time is the same no matter the map or the size of the online roster.
Is there something i am missing? :)
As the saying goes...."You can lead a horse to water...but you cant make him drink." But i can clearly see you delima even if it is self induced by other players. One is left to think that if a player truly wanted to mix it up...he /she would just move in closer to the action and take off at a base 20-30 miles from the action no?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 06:21:16 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: Why the small maps in MA?
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 06:21:05 AM »
Originally posted by brady
Whear are the Big ones at? we keep rotating through the smaller ones.
Sheesh Brady, give em a chance to get the big maps converted!  I think HTC have their hands full with smoothing out the bugs at the momet.   :D
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 06:25:33 AM »
I don't mind what size the maps are, but I don't want to be restricted to the small maps just because I fly during mainly European hours!  I like the big maps too.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Why the small maps in MA?
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 06:27:39 AM »
Originally posted by Flossy
Sheesh Brady, give em a chance to get the big maps converted!  I think HTC have their hands full with smoothing out the bugs at the momet.   :D

I think he is. Hes kinda like me in that regard. If the small maps are running...i just lay off the game a bit because i dont enjoy the small maps. Same for AH1 night time...It was totaly a waste for me to log on because i couldnt see a thing no matter where i set the gamma. AH2 i think might be different. Do they have a full blown night time now in AH2? I know at first the night time was just dim light and i liked it. On squad nights i am there to run ops no matter the map. AH2 has been a little different though....6 CTDs in an hour with patch 4 release. So i have been grounded and awaiting the next patch < crossing fingers>. :)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 07:04:34 AM »
I don't like the small maps. They are furballcentric. I have nothing against furballing, but it gets old after a time (ie 10 minutes) and I find myself looking for a mission with some sort of purpose. I hasten to add that I never join missunz driven by the missun editor doodz, as those end up in mindless gangbangs.

I DO enjoy the larger maps; I DO enjoy the Pizza week, and can find air combat or GV battles at any time, even with as few as 60 people online.

My dislike of the small maps and/or fields close together is the presence of interlopers. When a battle is unfolding between two airfields, the interlopers in this context are those pains in the neck who show up from a third field in a P51 or LA7 with a huge alt advantage to cherrypick any stragglers. As far as WW2 would have been, it's totally unrealistic. I know I know - this isn't WW2. No, but it's a WW2 combat simulation, and small map interloper cherrypicking does not simulate WW2 combat.  

If the fields are adequately spaced, the interlopers can't be arsed to fly the distance for their opportunistic score padding, and have to fight like men from the field under attack instead of quivering under their bunks. (LOL - Lazs for being the official AH lexicographer - I draw on the AH lexicon all the time now! :lol)

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 08:10:54 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I don't like the small maps. They are furballcentric. I have nothing against furballing, but it gets old after a time (ie 10 minutes) and I find myself looking for a mission with some sort of purpose. I hasten to add that I never join missunz driven by the missun editor doodz, as those end up in mindless gangbangs.

I DO enjoy the larger maps; I DO enjoy the Pizza week, and can find air combat or GV battles at any time, even with as few as 60 people online.

My dislike of the small maps and/or fields close together is the presence of interlopers. When a battle is unfolding between two airfields, the interlopers in this context are those pains in the neck who show up from a third field in a P51 or LA7 with a huge alt advantage to cherrypick any stragglers. As far as WW2 would have been, it's totally unrealistic. I know I know - this isn't WW2. No, but it's a WW2 combat simulation, and small map interloper cherrypicking does not simulate WW2 combat.  

If the fields are adequately spaced, the interlopers can't be arsed to fly the distance for their opportunistic score padding, and have to fight like men from the field under attack instead of quivering under their bunks. (LOL - Lazs for being the official AH lexicographer - I draw on the AH lexicon all the time now! :lol)

O Beet.........Im feeling for ya bro......in regards as to whats to come of your comments...(The never ending debate on what kind or species of sim Aces High is) i do agree with you on the Opportunistic interlopers. There is no better example of this than that of the Trinity Tank Town Air supporters. hehe :D
I know..Make the mountian range 40,000 ft around Trinity Tank Town. :aok
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 08:15:46 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline kevykev56

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 09:06:08 AM »
Make the mountian range 40,000 ft around Trinity Tank Town.

I would try my best to get that 110 to 40K...better make the mountains 60K to keep me out. :D

RHIN0
RHIN0 Retired C.O. Sick Puppies Squadron