Author Topic: Vote for us, we're going to raise your taxes.  (Read 3826 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Vote for us, we're going to raise your taxes.
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2004, 10:57:20 PM »
Aint yer fault Steve. Mostly mine for taking the argument down to a base level. But with Mietla I think that needs to be established first.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2004, 11:14:10 PM »
Nash, screw you! Post funny stuff you boob....

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2004, 11:18:46 PM »
Hey, if I was a boob I'd never leave my bed. :D

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2004, 11:20:34 PM »
Just an aside, as Bill Gates hasn't sold the vast majority of his Microsoft holdings the vast majority of his wealth has grown without his paying taxes on it.  

The taxes are not due until he sells his stock.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2004, 11:29:39 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
you a cheerleader now Toad?

No more (or less either, I guess) than you are.

I just thought that was a funny line. So apropos to almost all the discussions here.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2004, 11:34:29 PM »
Golly gee! How can they discuss anything with you if you set requirements like that?

Kinda like that was apropos to what you just said?

Go fight cougars mountain man.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2004, 11:40:02 PM »
Don't like it do ya?

I'm sorta gettin' into it, ya know?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2004, 11:41:40 PM »
What was it Nuke said? The barn predicts rain?

Makes as much sense anyways. Go ahead get into it... Groove to the nonsense.

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2004, 11:45:59 PM »
Patoohey

How can I question such a powerful argument?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2004, 11:47:05 PM »
By responding to the 20 or so lines I wrote before those three words maybe?

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2004, 12:26:48 AM »
By responding to the 20 or so lines I wrote before those three words maybe?

to get another Patoohey ?

well, ok I'll bite...

Lets go back 200 years, and use the richest guy on earth as an example. How would Gates have fared, ridin' the range, so to speak?

He would succeed no doubt. It's a personality, drive, ambition and hard work, not the government provided toilet paper that makes you succeed.

An intelligent and bright person makes the best out of what he has. He does not wait for others (especially the government) to provide him "a proper environment".

Hows about now, if there weren't laws? How would Gates fare hand to hand against someone in Alphabet City?

No idea what you are talking about. Hand to hand? Alphabet City?

Or... Lets put them both in a forest miles away from nowhere and see who can provide for their family.

You provide for your family, I'll provide for mine.  How else?

This entire notion of yours, of hypothetically moving someone 200 years back and trying to imply that although he is successful today he would fail then is just plain silly.

Just because I do not ride a horse well, nor am I any good with a sword and on top of it my latin sucks, you want to imply that I would be an utter  failure in Ancient Rome?

It's un-questionable that the rich earn/inherit within a context of laws.

Yes, but it does not mean that that owe the government a percentage of their income as a tribute.

I do accept a notion of taxes as a "membership fee" in a society, but I will never accept a notion of income/wealth redistribution and equality of outcome doctrine.

Mietla (u the one looking for a gun to protect his family last year?), I'll go as far as to say that you'd prolly be dead by now if it weren't for the government.

Huh? Dead? why? because I drank some Drano due to a lack of government warning label on a bottle? or maybe strangled myself with the shoe laces length of which exceeded the government regulations?

So I'd lay off the "take all the freedoms from us" bull*****.

Maybe you do not care about your liberties, I do care about mine.

Guess what, you are free to give up your freedom, but you have no right to enslave me or steal from me.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 12:39:44 AM by mietla »

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2004, 12:35:42 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
Wait Nash, I wasn't clear.   I'm not saying my govt is a hindrance to making money. I'm sorry about being vague.

Just differed on a couple of your points.

as I said, I do feel Govt has become too intrusive.

I also recognize that without laws and infrastructure govt provides, via my taxes, that I would not enjoy nearly the standard of living that I do today.

again, sorry about clouding the issue.

Wanna see a Democrat skate around a topic?  Ask one why they believe in Confiscatory Taxes?  The look they give is worth $1,000.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2004, 12:57:35 AM »
Taken in a whole history of time situation... Bill Gates would either get eaten by a dinosaur, break his neck simply wearing a helmet in the crusades, or be somebody's cowgirl love slave.

The so-called lack of your liberties keeps people from taking what you have.

There's only a finite amount of resources on the continent. You think you should own them cuz yer smart. Others would take them cuz they're bigger than you.

Very simplistic, but whatever... The government, made up of smart pasty frail men, created a system by which smart frail pasty men can control the resources and make money.

Do I have a problem with that? Absolutely not. I'd be dead too. And in the natural order of things, why shouldn't brains overcome brawn? Thing is, without the government, they wouldn't.

So you especially should learn to love them.

Absoshreckinglutely taxes should be a form of redistribution of wealth.

There are a lot of folks not as bright as you. Yeah I know it's a drag... but what's to be done about them? Make them think at your level? Make them function at your level? Give me a break. All men were NOT created equal.

But lotsa them can beat the hell outta you... Can plant bombs... can riot... can loot...

There's a BALANCE that needs to be struck. Sorry for the reality check.

And the line shifts this way and that way... It's about trying to take as much as you can whilst giving only so much away as not to dramatically piss off the rest.

As it stands? Your foes sit on couches watching TV. You have them right where you shrecking want them. It's not science so much as art.

Go ahead step over that line. Take more... Send 'em to the streets... Lets see what happens.

What kind of gun did you end up deciding upon?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 01:16:57 AM by Nash »

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2004, 01:02:13 AM »
And in the natural order of things, why shouldn't brains overcome brawn? Thing is, without the government, they wouldn't.

Beg to differ.

Elephants are stronger, Cheetas are faster, Dolphins swim better, Ducks can fly, we humans have greater intellegence.

Which species is dominant?

Brains overpower all.  Even without government.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2004, 01:04:33 AM »
you feel like putting that theory to the anarchy test?