Author Topic: Tell me it aint so HTC  (Read 849 times)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« on: July 03, 2004, 01:12:01 AM »
You ran the test patch for one day then thrust it into the game the Friday of a 3 day weekend?
It has trashed my gameplay and I aint happy, and I prolly wont be happy for at least 3 days.

I'm sure you'll see many post from me aluding to this - feel free to delete them. I can't play so I might as well post :D

But again - what were you thinking?

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 06:53:36 AM »
Tweetybird,

You seem to be operating under several misconceptions here sir.

First off the test is NOT the same as patch 5.

Test I had fps of 18 in tower, patch 4 mid 30s. Patch 5 gave me a solid 56-58.

And it got better in the air.

So climb back off the soapbox.

If your still having problems I'd be willing to bet half my perks its on YOUR end.

Offline Boozer2

• Copper Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 11:00:06 AM »
and beside that, HT was even in the office this morning, sheesh

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 11:23:09 AM »
Well of course its on my end, I mean where else would it be?
My computer has steadily deteriorated since AH2.0
It must be one of those disposable puters - you know - like a bic lighter. Forgive me if I made it sound like tha patch was the problem, because thats unthinkable.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2004, 11:26:16 AM »
Yeah! The patch porked me too! And everyone else! No ... wait .... it didn't. Whew.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 11:36:56 AM »
Duno tweety. I chose NOT to install the "Test Patch" cause i wasn’t sure if it could be uninstalled exclusive to the rest of the game. Patch 5 stopped the CTDs for me... But stutters are back (Bout 2 hours of flying time). This seems like its going to be a very LONG road for HTC. Im not sure im up for the road trip.
And who really knows if it will be ALL worked out. I have seen many online games in my experience that Never get worked out on All PC configurations. Even when the Min sys requirments are met or exceeded. Some games just CANT be played by Everyone. This wont be the first game i had to put on the shelf...prolly not the last either.
But of course you are right. It is your/our end. And you have nothing to be upset about. And HOW DARE you express your feelings and or findings about AH2 on the Developers BBS. :rofl
Good Luck Salute~

Originally posted by Arlo
Yeah! The patch porked me too! And everyone else! No ... wait .... it didn't. Whew.

Salute~ Mister Hole
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 11:45:34 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004, 12:23:21 PM »
Patch 5

Parked at a busy field for 10 minutes and then rolled. Framerate when flying within ground detail 25 to 35. Once at altitude 60. One on four fight off a enemy base 25 to 35 with no studders, hitches or freezes.

Runnin good, with a damn good fight to boot.

I don't understand. A lowend system, and a highend system, one AMD the other Intel. One XP the other ME. Lowend vidio and midrange vidio. Both systems run this game great. As I said, I don't understand.

Epox INTEL865 EP-4PDA2+
800 FBS Hypertheading
INTEL P4/3.06GHz CPU
2 x 512MB PC 3200 Ram
Western Digital SATA 80gig hard drive
7200RPM 8MB buffer
Chaintech FX5900XT Nvidia 128meg card
. OEM drivers
. Card settings: 1042x768 truecolor 85 hertz
. Image setting: Performance
. AA setting: 4X
. Anisotropic filtering: 4X
. Vsync on ( 85 hertz )
DirectX 9.0B
Soundblaster 512 XP configuration
. 3/4 acceleration
Misc DVD-RW, DVD, floppy
Antec Truepower 430watt power supply
Antec/PlusView 1000AMG case
Two extra case fans ( 5 total )
XP Home

Ingame vidio settings:
Resolution 1024x768
Horizon, transitions, mipmaping enabled
Texture size 1024
Texture load per frame Unlimited
Ground detail at 2 miles
All other sliders at Maximum
Gamma 1.1
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004, 12:26:43 PM »
The patch is not the test version we released a few days ago.  The patch was released because some definitive problems were identified that needed to be addressed and with guarded optimism, we hoped this would put an end to the major issues some people were having.  For the most part, people have seen the same improvement we have.  How this patch has not helped some people or even made it worse for them is very baffling.  If this was a case of everybody having problems or even everybody with the same card having problems, then it wouldn't be difficult to get to the bottom of it.  But that's not what we have.  We can have two guys with basically the same system specs and have it running like a champ on one while the other is reporting problems.  

There must be some catalyst  that's accounting for the difference between two otherwise identical setups.  Whether that's a setting in the card options, a background process, whatever, we don't know what it is yet.  We're trying very hard to duplicate what's been reported.  We've been swapping out video cards, changing card settings, changing drivers, changing bios settings, everything we can think of trying.  The solution will probably be simple, finding the cause is what's proving to be tough.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 12:31:14 PM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee

Salute~ Mister Hole

Hope the puffiness and irritability goes away today, ma'am. :D

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004, 12:34:42 PM »
I tryed to get this question through to HT yesterday when he was on in God mode without success. I think it may have had something to do with the 9000 questions per minute that was being thrown at him. :D
 Question: Did HT ever come up with a solution  for the conflict he was having after he updated his vid card drivers?
  I`m running a 9700 and talked to Skuzz on the phone the other day and he told me HT was having this prob.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline ESB

• Nickel Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2004, 12:38:32 PM »
A game as new as AH2 wil lalways have it's problems, in my view it's still beta really, you just have to sit it out and wait till the game is polished, then you can really enjoy the ride.

How long did it take for AH1? 2 years to get all the bugs ironed out? I know how hard programming can be, and how hard it can be to detect bugs, you just have to be patient, that's all.

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2004, 01:11:43 PM »
>>There must be some catalyst that's accounting for the difference between two otherwise identical setups. Whether that's a setting in the card options, a background process, whatever, we don't know what it is yet. We're trying very hard to duplicate what's been reported. We've been swapping out video cards, changing card settings, changing drivers, changing bios settings, everything we can think of trying. The solution will probably be simple, finding the cause is what's proving to be tough.
<<

Thanks for the replies. Sorry to take if off on the wrong foot. I guess late on a Friday night isn't the best time to post...

As I stated in the post on the tech board, the game does freeze/stutter offline, so that should make it easier to trouble shoot.

I've updated my drivers and defragged the hard drive, and still I have studders and freezes. I do notice the game loads a lot quicker with patch5. I'm wondering if stuff that was done while loading in previous versions are being done now in game.
I notice the first time I shoot after loading the game, I'll get a stutter or freeze. The first time I look at the sun, I'll get a brief white square.

I'm going to go through the steps HT posted, and keep track of everything I try. If something seems to fix the offline freezes, Ill try it online. Hopefully I'll be able to tell you what worked in my case.

Also you state patch5 is not the same as the test patch. I chose not to intall the test patch, as the game was working well for me. Is it possible patch5 has dependencies on the test patch?

And from another post,

>>TB: Just to check the obvious.

1. Reboot system
2. Make sure your in Shift F1 or SHift F2 view range.
3. Delete your cach folder.
4. Double check 512 max texture size or lower.
5. For a test if you are running any fire wall software , shut it down, do not just disable it,make sure it has been shut down.
6. Make sure all your video card settings are defaults in the windows configuration.

HiTech

<<
Done all the above. No luck so far. Is it possible the stuttering could be sound related? I'm using an alternate sound pack and wondering if rolling back to the default sounds might help.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 01:38:42 PM by TweetyBird »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2004, 01:57:07 PM »
Sound checks:

1. Try with our default sounds.
2. Check your sound acceleration slider, set it 1 knotch from full.

3. Additional check is to rename your settings folder in AH, this lets you start from a default configuration. If no change, just deletel the new 1 created and rename the old one back.

4. Also check to make sure your squads folder is empty.

HiTech

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2004, 02:07:02 PM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Hope the puffiness and irritability goes away today, ma'am. :D

Nope...apparently its still here. Go away puffiness and irritability.
known as "Mr Arlo Hole" ;) A-Hole for short :p
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 02:09:12 PM by Mugzeee »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Tell me it aint so HTC
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2004, 02:09:32 PM »
FWIW, I noticed a couple of days ago, patch 4, that there was one plane, an F6F (don't know who it was) that when it was close and in view my frame rate slowed to a crawl. Sounds like a squad art problem?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.