Author Topic: Pit bull apologists, wake up  (Read 2774 times)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
Pit bull apologists, wake up
« on: July 06, 2004, 12:14:10 PM »
Time to follow the lead of Dade County Florida.. These dogs are a menace. They are a gun that needs no triggerman to kill.

I was walking my dog the other day when a pit came THROUGH his fence to attack Bradley. Luckily Bradley is a big Lab, the Pit was a little on the small side, and I was there to give it about 4 good kicks to the ribs and belly. Eventually that dog was dragged by the owner by its hind legs into the back yard.

No damage was done to my dog, I had a long talk with the apologetic Pit owner who offered to pay for a vet check and any ensuing bills. Gawd I hate pit bulls!

Pits Suck!

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 12:20:06 PM »
Sorry to hear of the attack MT. Hope Bradley is OK?

I'm particularily fond of Labs...my sister and her husband had a black lab named Noiro. He died of old age but none of us have forgotten him. Now my sister and her husband have a blue-eyed husky named Shadow.:) She's another beautiful pooch too!

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 12:24:05 PM »
Chows can be dangerous...but any dog needs training.

My nephiew has raised several dogs over the years for coon and hog hunting.  One of the most memorable was a mountain cur named Gus.  Gus was very aggressive around other dogs, terribly devoted to my nephiew, and totally harmless around people.

One day a neighbor's chow wandered into his yard and began barking, growling, and making dashes at my nephiew.   He ran the chow off with a large stick, and returned to working on his truck.

The chow returned, even more aggressive than before.  During the entire episode Gus, who was chained up, was apoplectic with fury.  Finally, as the threat grew, Gus hit the end of the chain and broke it.  The ensuing fight was epic...and ended with Gus killing the other dog.

My nephiew quietly disposed of the body and never told his neighbor what had happened...because the neighbor had been warned on several occasions that his chow had been threatening his neighbors.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 12:25:15 PM »
Im a Rottie guy myself. Wonderful dogs.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 12:25:56 PM »
Pits are one of the reasons I carry a pistol with me when I take walks in the neighborhood.  I am not going to get into fistfight with a pitbull.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 12:26:28 PM »
Gus hit the end of the chain and broke it. The ensuing fight was epic...and ended with Gus killing the other dog.

Good on ya Gus:aok

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 01:01:28 PM »
some breeds of dogs are naturally more agressive than others.   large agressive dogs are about the most dangerous thing I can think of in most neighborhoods.

I agree that you should be able to shoot any attacking dog.   The owner of the dog should be charged with assault with intent to commit grave bodily harm.

lazs

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 01:03:27 PM »
Shoot the dog and then shoot the owner.

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 01:05:40 PM »
I don't think all Pits are bad.  My youngest sister has a pitbull that she got from a rescue shelter in Michigan.  The dog was very well trained (all commands in German).

The dog itself is a big pushover.   The first threatening move you make, she immediately submits and rolls over onto her back.  Dumb as a box of bricks tho.

Maybe this is the exception not the rule.   She plays great with my lab, a little mouthy sometime, but nothing my lab doesn't dish right back :D

I think owning a dog like this require additional responsibility with training/handling and keeping.  If the person isn't up to that challenge, then they shouldn't have a pit.

It all boils down to the owner, not the dog IMO

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 01:07:35 PM »
Pits were bred specifically for fighting.  They aren't "naturally" more agressive...it has been purposley bred into them.

The breed should be outlawed and gradually left to die off once the existing animals alive now die.

Modas...take that dog to a park where it can interact with unfamiliar dogs and you will notice a change in its behavior.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2004, 01:10:35 PM »
so modas... you don't believe that some dogs are more agressive and dangerous than others?

I believe that most owners of pits or rots or dobermans get the dog simply because it is dangerous and aggressive.  

They want control over something powerful and dangerous but that is not possible with flesh and blood.   Highly trained police dogs are still very dangerous... they will not obey once excited and they need to be locked up or watched constantly.

lazs

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2004, 01:33:16 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
so modas... you don't believe that some dogs are more agressive and dangerous than others?

_____________________________ ___________________

Nope, never said that.  I said my sisters dog does not exhibit any of these aggressive characteristics and in at least HER case, this pit is a very gentle dog.

Originally posted by lazs2
I believe that most owners of pits or rots or dobermans get the dog simply because it is dangerous and aggressive.

That herein lies the problem.  The OWNERS get the dog because of the reputation it has NOT because of the love of the breed.  It boils down to the responsibility of the owner to train, handle and ultimately control the dog.  If the owner cannot or is unwilling to invest the time in the dog (and a LOT of time is required) the dog will ultimately get out of control and will end up hurting someone.

My sister trains with her Pit EVERY day (or nearly so) using the commands that the rescue shelter trained the dog with.  And as a result, she has a dog that is very well under control.

With owning a dog like this comes enormous responsibility, and unfortunately most owners don't take this seriously.   And those that don't, if their dog does hurt someone, they need to have the book thrown at them, and unfortunately, the dog will need to be destroyed because at that point it will be to far gone to be "fixed"

Offline nuchpatrick

• Silver Member
      • http://www.361stvfg.com
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 01:54:46 PM »
I say I think Pit bulls get more play over attacks then any other breed of dog. It's not always the breed It's the owner's. Pit's being on the reciveing end of being a attack dog. Not all pit's are bad.

Just look here you will be surprised at some duities their good at.. http://www.pitbullpress.com/ARTICLES/ARTICLES.HOME.html

Not that I own one.. I've owned and been raised with Boxers and Collies.. I've actually seen/owned a very agressive Collie that would make a Pitt Bull look like a cat. She ended up being stuck down by a car before I could bear to put her to sleep.... But, I've never seen a Collie like that one ever.  Her sister on the other hand is very timid and well laid back.

Then on the Boxer's thats a breed that get's a bad rep as well...the 2 that we've had in the past have been great pets.

It's only a select few of abnormal animals that post the threat.

Just my 2 cents..

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 01:54:59 PM »
Pit Bulls may be vicious and evil, but New Yorkies are cute and fund!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 02:04:10 PM »
In Alaska dogs are everywhere and loose.  Put your trash out 2 hours before the truck come and dogs will tear it up and spread it about.  Every year it seemed a pit bull would attack a child, it really made me sick.  I contemplated sniping every pit I saw.  Owners are almost always A-holes who think that owning a pit makes them Rambo.

eskimo