Author Topic: AH2 Running on my PII 450mhz  (Read 1898 times)

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
AH2 Running on my PII 450mhz
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2004, 04:00:01 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
lol, you wouldn't.  You would lock up as your guns fired.  I have no probs off line either.  Its not the same.  I always have to fly out over the water and pick up a fight there.  I can maintain 30 to 40 outhere.  Over a field under attack I can do 12 to 0.

Would you like to place a bet on that?

Anim

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2004, 04:05:33 PM »
Originally posted by slimm50
So with my PIII 866 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 32 Meg NVidia TNT2 AGP I should be able to fly AHII if I only replace the NVidia with a cheap ($80, or so) video card?

WooooHooo!:D

yup ;-)

Anim

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2004, 04:16:04 PM »
My Point is incourage some of those that are in despair over AH2 and upgrades.

Iv seen alot of posts of people talking 3ghz machines with $400 video cards.   I also see a lot of people thinking that you need at least 100fps to play.   The truth is you dont nessescarily need to have a cutting edge machine.

Im not telling anyone to go out,  buy a used 450mhz machine and expect to play.   AH does work on machines less than the recommended Minimum, so perhaps if someone is having troubles they can get it to play on a clean mid-range machine.

I will go ahead and go online with it and see how it preforms and post some results.

Offline Grimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2004, 05:04:10 PM »
Online test done..   Not too bad

I didnt enter combat, but flew around a swarm of Friendlies.  I also fired some test shots with tracers on. (even thru the smoke from porkage)

I was pretty solid in most situations 15-30 fps.   No freeze ups or lockups.

Its not as pretty, and not as smooth as I would consider Ideal, but I could fly without any problems.

If your not getting useable frame rates, consider going first to less texture size,  then maybe to a lower resolution (in the game) and see how it goes.

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2004, 08:07:49 PM »
I started playing AH2 on my celeron 500Mhz with the radeon 9600 pro, 128 mbs ram and my frames were anywhere between 16 to 60 but usually around mid 20's to high 30's so i couldn't complain.
  I have upgraded with a new mother board, 2.2Ghz processor, 512 megs of ram, and a case for $327 (just swaped out vid card, cd drive, hard and floppy drive).
 My frames rarley drop below 30 but are usually 40 or above they get better as the new patches  are released.
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2004, 08:34:29 PM »
Here's the something to keep in mind...

I posted this before and some half baked moron told me I didn't know what I was talking about. He said I was too technical. That technicality happens to come into logical play.

The human eye only see\thinks so fast. It can not and will not detect FPS above 40, in fact it may be lower, but it has limits.

You can't tell 100 fps from 40 fps, unless you have a metering device to tell you so. Had AH never shown you FPS, you would never know how slow you are until you actually drop below 25 fps.  The picture then starts to degrade.

The moron told me TV, VCR and games are different. BS, frame rate is frame rate and a VCR is like 25-30 FPS, I can't remember which.

I'm going to go back to research this again to get exact numbers, but these are in the ball park. ;-)

Anim

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2004, 08:46:51 PM »
i not used a PII for nearly 5 years.......

it IS 2004 isnt it?:confused: ;)
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2004, 08:50:32 PM »
Originally posted by FT_Animal
Here's the something to keep in mind...

I posted this before and some half baked moron told me I didn't know what I was talking about. He said I was too technical. That technicality happens to come into logical play.

The human eye only see\thinks so fast. It can not and will not detect FPS above 40, in fact it may be lower, but it has limits.

You can't tell 100 fps from 40 fps, unless you have a metering device to tell you so. Had AH never shown you FPS, you would never know how slow you are until you actually drop below 25 fps.  The picture then starts to degrade.

The moron told me TV, VCR and games are different. BS, frame rate is frame rate and a VCR is like 25-30 FPS, I can't remember which.

I'm going to go back to research this again to get exact numbers, but these are in the ball park. ;-)

Anim

oh god, not this stupid arguement again

you are wrong, VERY wrong ok?
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2004, 08:55:30 PM »
Originally posted by Grimm
Online test done..   Not too bad

I didnt enter combat, but flew around a swarm of Friendlies.  I also fired some test shots with tracers on. (even thru the smoke from porkage)

I was pretty solid in most situations 15-30 fps.   No freeze ups or lockups.

Its not as pretty, and not as smooth as I would consider Ideal, but I could fly without any problems.

If your not getting useable frame rates, consider going first to less texture size,  then maybe to a lower resolution (in the game) and see how it goes.

Thats how AH1 worked on my PC (see below specs), around 15-30FPS in flight, low 20s in furballs. I did it at 800x600 resolution, and dropping down to 600x400(or whatever it was) didnt improve FRs at all.

Animal, that site you gave me was more than helpful.  I was thinking of testing things out, but then got word that my new system is in the mail, so i figured I'd just let it ride for a week or so.  Thanks anyways though! If the new one is anything like that site was, it'll be great!

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2004, 11:02:27 PM »
Anton, put your sound card in another pci slot and check it again.
Also look if you have on a onboard soundcard,if yes, go to bios and disable it.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2004, 11:11:24 PM »
anyone got a pci 64mb video card they aint using ???
the old monster card in my 500mhz 486/k6 doesnt quite cut it .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2004, 11:12:39 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
oh god, not this stupid arguement again

you are wrong, VERY wrong ok?

Hold on guys, excuse me while I drop a few levels to communicate with this one.

No not ok. You're a moron. If I am wrong explain to me EXACTLY where I am wrong..... OK?

I have zero tolerance for people like you. All you say is

"you are wrong, VERY wrong ok?"

what do you know that I don't that backs this up? Can you explain to me where I am wrong or is it just an imaginary technical assumption in your own head. I'm not sure, all you say is I am wrong and offer no explination. If I am wrong please straighten me\us out. What is this the 3rd post where you say I am wrong yet offer nothing?

Explain away.

I will go so far as to say this, if you prove me wrong I'll eat crow , if you don't,.. then STFU. OK?

Don't bite my ankles and I won't gouge your eyes out. I'm not a punk, don't treat me like one.

Ok, now what were we talking about,.... oh ya,....

Anim

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2004, 11:18:15 PM »
Animal, human eye see with 24 fps.
Now if i make you see something with 70 fps i can use the other
36 fps to make you learn greeks, or vote whom ever i like without
you understand nothing, or to make you drink pepsi instead of coke ;)
I also can make you s..k in AH :)
Its the Power of The Subconcius.

our life run @ 24 fps. Everything more is under investigation:cool:

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2004, 11:18:21 PM »
Originally posted by Hades55
Anton, put your sound card in another pci slot and check it again.
Also look if you have on a onboard soundcard,if yes, go to bios and disable it.

He's not having a soundcard problem its a proble with his video card loading the grafics. I used to get this exact dame message as Anton thats why I explained how to fix it. Hitech and i did several troubleshooting steps on this as well. For windows XP users IIRC the problem was finally attributed to having to set the compatability in XP to NOT run in 256 color mode
« Last Edit: July 07, 2004, 11:21:06 PM by WilldCrd »
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2004, 11:28:54 PM »
CC :)