Author Topic: Is it true that Fox News is not allowed in Canada?  (Read 1798 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Is it true that Fox News is not allowed in Canada?
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2004, 02:22:02 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Of course another way to look at the polls is from the flip side.  How ****ed up is current American policy that 40% of Canada teens think the US is evil.

This isn't an issue about Canada though, polls taken from all over the world are showing this general trend.  The issue is current US policy.

Actually the issue I raised IS about government censorship in Canada. It appears to me that there are those that would block Fox News simply because of their pro-America stance. How does that appear to you Thrawn?
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2004, 02:34:02 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Quality control? I'm sure you're joking. The number one news channel in the US and you guys don't feel deprived? Oh well, at least you'll have Al Jazeera.

Well yeah, you got me... I was.

I'm not sure what the deal is with Fox in Canada, to be honest. I have always gotten it on my tv... so I had no idea it wasn't already up here. I'm a bit confused.

But "number one news channel"; Har, good one. It may be the number one something, but it's an entertainment show dressed up to look like news.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2004, 03:25:55 PM »
i dont think anyone even realized we didnt have fox news up here..there certainly wasn't anyone complaining

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2004, 03:56:48 PM »
Actually the issue I raised IS about government censorship in Canada. It appears to me that there are those that would block Fox News simply because of their pro-America stance. How does that appear to you Thrawn?

First of all I think the CRTC is a bunch of crap.  I have enough problems with elected officials telling me what I can and can not due, let along a bunch of damn bureaucrats.

That being said, the CRTC is supposed to promote Canadian content.  They probably looked at the crap load of US news media we have already on cable and said we won't allow another one.  They proably look at the amount of Arab news media (next to none?) and gave the go ahead to Al-Jazeera.

At the end of the day, **** em.  If I want to know what Fox news is saying I have other media I can use to get that info.  I think the CRTC's days are numbered.  Due to the huge advances in communications technologies.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2004, 06:06:16 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
cpx... I have listened to Orielly a few times... what is so wildly biased about his views?   And... if so... how could youstand to listen to him more than once or twice?

lazs

I'll listen to anyone's point of view more than once. You can always learn something. You, for example swayed my opinions on gun control. I could have dismissed your opinion, now while I don't completely agree with you. I got your point and realised you were right about some things.

As for wild bias, well O'Reilly is biased the way Michael Moore is biased, only on the opposite side. Both marshall facts and half truths, pull them together and spin them to suit their point of view. Everybody is biased in some way, some more than others. If you cannot see bias in someon'e arguments then it's because you completely agree with them.  Of course I'm biased too.

As for Canadian teenagers thinking America is evil. Actually only 40% do. Apparently the other 60% do not. Just how much credibility you can apply to anything teenagers say. Given the option to call anything evil in a poll and teenagers being teenagers will probably call the Pope, Nelson Mandela, Lassie and Britney Spears evil! Has anyone seen the poll. What was the original question.  Do this 40% think the current administration is evil or Americans or some Americans? What makes anyone think Canadian teenagers have more than the marginal grasp of current affairs any teenagers anywhere the world have?  Worse still is to extrapolate that poll and to declare that the whole world is anti American, when it clearly is not.

Is Fox banned in Canada, or in fact did someone decide not to bother to provide it  Deciding not to run it is not the same as banning it.   To right wing eyes it might be the same thing. There is a lot of paranoia it seems to me about anti Americanism. How much of that is real is a moot point. But If often have fun stirring it with the Indymedia crowd by posting on their forums. Talk about bias? Some of them are ridiculous. But one theme on the site I visited is that anti Americanism per se is not what they are about. People making comments like that are often corrected (politically corrected LOL) and it's pointed out their beef is with the current administration not the American people. Even boasting about the number of American tourists who the sign street petitions they set up.  

The way some people here talk you'd think you couldn't walk down a street without being attacked for being American. That's just paranoia fostered by people with an axe to grind.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2004, 11:53:13 PM »
Ah, well, ok then. You'll understand that when I say your anti-American government sucks that I mean your administration and not the Canadian people who are all actually fond of Americans. Right? ;)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2004, 01:12:50 AM »
The Americans seem to be the only ones who keep getting that confused, AKIron. :)

Offline Dogsta04

• Zinc Member
      • http://http://www.geocities.com/no800sqdn/index.html
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2004, 03:47:45 AM »
Before we begin reading this, know that I have many friends that are American, I care for them like brothers, like family.
just some facts and opions here from a Canuck.

Arthur Weinreb is an author, columnist and Associate Editor of Canada Free Press. His work as appeared on Newsmax.com, Men's News Daily, the Drudge Report, Foxnews.com and The Rant. He can be reached at cfp@canadafreepress.com

uhmm not to poke a hole in the boat so to speak but...
the author of that article about the 40% of Canadian Teens works for uhmm lets see? Fox NEWS? interesting eh?

so AKIron few questions for you about how many american news channels do I need to see in Canada?
serriously? I get most of the Washington state news channels (local and National affiliates) ei. KIRO (seattle)KOMO(also seattle)KCPQ(seattle FOX channel?)KVOS(Bellingham) as well as MSNBC, CNN, the ABC National one(cant remeber off hand) I also get BBCWORLD NEWS, as well as the AP feed on one of the real high channels.
now, HOW MANY CANADIAN NEWS CHANNELS are offered to you by you cable provider? its a matter of $$, if there was a "real"desire for the FOX news channel by a large Portion of the Canadian people then SHAW or ROGERS cable word probly aproach the CRTC( governing body of telecommunications in Canada) as for AlJazeera, in a post above someone pointed out that it is already offered in the US.DISH NETWORK
As for most canadians Hating the States, I would find you hard pressed to find that many "Hate" or Think of You Americans as EVIL, as for this WAR on Terrorism. Canadains went along with you to the Gulf everytime, Canada has sent troops to Afganastan in support of this. of course this is all forgotten though. but lets look back 60 or so years ago shall we. where was America during the years 1939 - 1941? Unless all our history books are flat out lies then it would seem that during a great crisis of a few "good" Friends and allies, and ahem..Nieghbors. the Americans felt content to remain Neutral in the European and Asian conflicts. until DEC 7 that is. and who the hell do you think helped you all get back ATTU and KISKA Islands?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2004, 10:35:59 AM »
Having never even been to Canada I'll trust you guys that this poll is bogus and that almost all Canadians are fond of Americans. Glad to hear that no one there believes us to be "evil" or even bad. Guess the very few Canadians that might happen to despise us or our policies just happen to all post here. I'm glad to be reassured that they are representative of the Candian people by and large in no way. I feel better now. Hey, if you guys aren't interested in what America watches it's no problem for me.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2004, 12:02:03 PM »
Having never even been to Canada I'll trust you guys that this poll is bogus and that almost all Canadians are fond of Americans. Glad to hear that no one there believes us to be "evil" or even bad. Guess the very few Canadians that might happen to despise us or our policies just happen to all post here. I'm glad to be reassured that they are representative of the Candian people by and large in no way. I feel better now. Hey, if you guys aren't interested in what America watches it's no problem for me.

And the 2004 Putz award goes to.......M'kay.:aok

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2004, 12:23:43 PM »
Originally posted by Torque
And the 2004 Putz award goes to.......M'kay.:aok

I take it you are one of the Canadian vocal minorities? We have those in the US too. Here though, we don't let them dictate our liberties, at least not yet. Controlling the media is a big step in that direction and certainly begins with influencing the youth. Is kinda why I was asking about these things. You guys have set my mind at ease. Oh, and thanks for the award. ;)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2004, 12:30:32 PM »
you ARE the vocal minority the moment you log off the AH BBS.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2004, 12:32:49 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
you ARE the vocal minority the moment you log off the AH BBS.

Not sure what you mean. I'm not all that vocal and my views tend to coincide with mainstream America.

Offline Dogsta04

• Zinc Member
      • http://http://www.geocities.com/no800sqdn/index.html
« Reply #103 on: July 18, 2004, 02:19:53 PM »
Always remeber that this being the anonymous play ground that it is, and that many folks like to see strife and conflict and general mayhem. many more will likely engage in an agument just to get ones perverbial goat.

as for censorship of our media, it is no more and no less then what you get in the states.we may or may not get one or two channels, but that is more of an economic thing. like i said, if there was more interest in it we would have it, and if I really want it i can go out and get hooked up with a "dish"network and get what 4 - 600 channels? hell i got digital cable right now and have nearly 200 channels of wich i watch 7 (history,TLC,Discovery,Space,MTV(rarely)MUCHMUSIC(also rare)SPEED,SPIKE(old TNN)and a few shows on the lower channels)
I occasionaly stop on MSNBC and CNN if I want entertainment news headlines, then i'll head over the BBC world news and see if anything is "really" happening.

as for Michael Moore, He is a definatly genious movie director,thats right I said genious,and I also said MOVIE as in ENTERTAINMENT do I believe that everything he has shown or said is the TRUTH Absolutely not. He Spins the Truths to say what it is he wishes to say. as for unbiased objective Documentarian, well I'd say he fall's short but what do I know? I would also hazard a guess that if you were to ask every american about wheather or not they 100% believe what Mike Moore says is true, that at the least the number that said yes would equal if not exceed the population of canada, think about that a second, the United States at this moment has what 293 Million persons? vs 32 Million Canadian. only 11% of your population needs to think that Bush is an Idiot and that Micheal Moore is a saint. not a big number eh. anyways big long diatribe, bleh back to whining about not being able to fly.