Author Topic: HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!  (Read 6832 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
HTC - Bring Back Big Maps!
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2004, 07:38:32 PM »
Originally posted by kevykev56
MetaTron, You say the gamplay is stale, that seems more to me the problem here than even the hordes. Yes the small maps stink for some, others like them. There plain and simple needs to be variety....this map is so stale I have been fighting to capture the same base for the last week. Yes we have captured it, but it gets taken back...then we take it...    you get the picture.

It is rediculous that it goes on like this. It is so easy to stop an assult unless it is a horde to completely overwhelm the field. If you bring 5 or 6 guys to take a field and there is anyone who knows what they are doing, they will stop you.

Bring on the big maps...they are needed. Even if they are buggy, the bugs must be worked out.....OZKANSAS!!!

RHIN0

So you feel like you have to be capturing bases to "get anything accomplished"?

Why are the big maps needed?  So there is so much space and so many bases that there is no way the defenders can defend all the bases?

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2004, 08:02:19 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
So you feel like you have to be capturing bases to "get anything accomplished"?

Why are the big maps needed?  So there is so much space and so many bases that there is no way the defenders can defend all the bases?

That's exactly what they want Urchin. They want a map that guarentees at any time their little cadre can attack a base on the periphery with little or no resistance assured that there will not be more defenders than they can vulch. Having to fight large, unpredictable forces over a finite area has proven too difficult compared to the EZ mode they have enjoyed to this point.

The one thing that sets AH apart from other games of this genre is the very ability and player base for large scale engagements. That is why AH is more successfull than those other games. Why the hell would we want to take that very quality away by dispersing the player base over a disproportionately large area? If the majority wanted small scale engagements they'd be playing IL2, where numbers are restricted.People play in the MA precisely because it affords the opportunity to participate in large scale engagements. The large furballs are what make AH better than those other games, it sure as hell ain't the milkrunning, spawn camping point potatos.

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 02:25:52 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2004, 09:17:03 PM »
ive been thinking about this for the last couple of days and i can go off and write paragraph's about issues i like and dislike, but on the subject ill say this! better frame rates for me in the bigger
arena's less horde and the best of all????

more options! ;)

KILL THE SMALL MAP!!!!

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2004, 09:23:29 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Ummm, we know better Metatron, Hornets are all about score whoring, you know it, everyone knows it, pretending otherwise for the sake of argument is transparent and quite lame . The simple truth is, small maps with concentrated forces isn't as conducive to your style of score whoring as you would like so you're whining about it. As I am sure you are aware, your name itself has become universally synonymous with 'gaming the game', you are the quintessential score/rank potato, willing to devote vast amounts of time and effort doing everything and anything necessary to give the appearance of "greatness".

First time I've agreed with Zazen on anything I think. ;)

PS... Would like to see the 2 Fester maps back up.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2004, 10:23:58 PM »
Originally posted by 68DevilM
ive been thinking about this for the last couple of days and i can go off and write paragraph's about issues i like and dislike, but on the subject ill say this! better frame rates for me in the bigger
arena's less horde and the best of all????

more options! ;)

KILL THE SMALL MAP!!!!

Pushing for huge maps because of a deficiency in your personal computer rig is just sad. If your computer can't handle furballs that's not our fault, upgrade your system, don't make us fly for 2 hour looking for reluctant enemy cons because you have inadequate hardware for the high end entertainment we call Aces High.

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2004, 11:59:42 PM »
Zazwn, again your imagination is getting the better of you. Hornets don't fight like you have imagined. Obviously, you don't know squat on the subject.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2004, 12:04:41 AM »
Originally posted by MetaTron
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Since when has this been your mantra? Heh.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2004, 12:08:35 AM »

This brought to you by the same guy that wrote the handbook. :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2004, 12:40:15 AM »
Apparently the folks asking for the big maps don't bother to read threads about the big maps....

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120873

If you want to cut to the chase....my last post fairly well explains it. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2004, 01:44:58 AM »
Zazwn, again your imagination is getting the better of you. Hornets don't fight like you have imagined. Obviously, you don't know squat on the subject.

Metatron, we all know exactly what you are about. Anyone who has played this game 6 months or more knows. Worst of all you know we all know...So get over it already. We all kind of figured it out the 6 millionth time you or one of your squaddies spawn camped for 8 hours straight to pad your score and prove how wonderfully talented you are....Duh.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 01:49:03 AM by Zazen13 »

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2004, 01:58:58 AM »
With every word Zazen, you prove yourself a bigger fool.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2004, 02:21:17 AM »
With every word Zazen, you prove yourself a bigger fool.

You've devolved from substantive debate to insulting one-liners have you Metapotato? Why am I not suprised?

Have a nice day :cool:

Zazen
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 02:40:38 AM by Zazen13 »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2004, 03:01:08 AM »
I don't agree that large maps like Pizza mean no fights. All you have to do is to look at the map. There are about five warnings systems: Bardar, flashing map, base under attack, radar, siren...

The difference is that the engagements will have about 6 people on each side instead of 50. The small maps with the limited front line precipitate huge furballs, which is OK if you like that sort of thing. But what I have seen that turn into is a lemming conveyor belt of heavy P51s etc. diving into the field to pork vulch & auger, only to re-up and be back to repeat about 3 minutes later. You can't defend against that, and this is probably why fuel porkability has been restricted to 75% in AH2.

On the larger maps where the flying distance between bases is greater, that 3 minutes turns into more like 6 minutes. The fight is more often between the bases instead of at the bases, which means all kills are air-to-air and not vulches. The conveyor belt lemmings are nowhere to be seen because their attention span won't stretch to the 6 minutes it takes to get there. It will be a fair fight between two bases, without interference from a third base by LA7 opportunists.

Two of the best sessions I have had in recent months were on the Pizza. One of those was against Taki's guys in just such a scenario- story here.

I think a lot of what is being discussed here depends on the time of day. USPT is from about 2am to 5am here, so I rarely see it, and rarely see the sort of thing that's being talked about here.

Urchin, you know I respect you, and you've helped me a lot with my 109 suckage problem, but "Sure it is "mindless furballing" with "no purpose".. " - OK, if that's what you want. And it can be kind of fun if it happens along the way to a greater goal ;) but just upping to find that sort of thing does not hold my interest. As I've said before - the Chess board with no Kings.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2004, 03:07:09 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I don't agree that large maps like Pizza mean no fights. All you have to do is to look at the map. There are about five warnings systems: Bardar, flashing map, base under attack, radar, siren...

The difference is that the engagements will have about 6 people on each side instead of 50. The small maps with the limited front line precipitate huge furballs, which is OK if you like that sort of thing. But what I have seen that turn into is a lemming conveyor belt of heavy P51s etc. diving into the field to pork vulch & auger, only to re-up and be back to repeat about 3 minutes later. You can't defend against that, and this is probably why fuel porkability has been restricted to 75% in AH2.

On the larger maps where the flying distance between bases is greater, that 3 minutes turns into more like 6 minutes. The fight is more often between the bases instead of at the bases, which means all kills are air-to-air and not vulches. The conveyor belt lemmings are nowhere to be seen because their attention span won't stretch to the 6 minutes it takes to get there. It will be a fair fight between two bases, without interference from a third base by LA7 opportunists.

Two of the best sessions I have had in recent months were on the Pizza. One of those was against Taki's guys in just such a scenario- story here.

I think a lot of what is being discussed here depends on the time of day. USPT is from about 2am to 5am here, so I rarely see it, and rarely see the sort of thing that's being talked about here.

Urchin, you know I respect you, and you've helped me a lot with my 109 suckage problem, but "Sure it is "mindless furballing" with "no purpose".. " - OK, if that's what you want. And it can be kind of fun if it happens along the way to a greater goal ;) but just upping to find that sort of thing does not hold my interest. As I've said before - the Chess board with no Kings.

Beetle, what you are looking for is what the Combat Theater offers. If you want exclusively 5 on 5's an arena full of 500 people isn't where you're likely to find it. In any event, during prime-time US time, when the vast majority of us fly, large maps don't even have the 5 vs 5's you so highly seek, it's 50 vs 5 on one side, and 5 vs 50 on another. On small maps it's 25 on 25 on every side, which most find preferable to the 50 vs 5 situations huge maps tend to offer.

As far as your base spacing argument goes, it doesn't fly logically. One base vs. one base offers a much greater chance of one being porked and vulched than 1 base with at least 1 other proximate base supporting it. Mutually supporting fields allow fighters from a support field to establish or re-establish cap if it is temporarily lost and the primary field is porked. If it's just 1 field vs. another there is no opportunity to regain CAP once one of the fields is porked, therefore vulching commences and the domino effect milkrun session begins sequentially, one base after another.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 03:38:49 AM by Zazen13 »

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2004, 03:22:44 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Beetle, what you are looking for is what the Combat Theater offers. If you want exclusively 5 on 5's an arena full of 500 people isn't where you're likely to find it. In any event, during prime-time US time, when the vast majority of us fly, large maps don't even have the 5 vs 5's you so highly seek, it's 50 vs 5 on one side, and 5 vs 50 on another. On small maps it's 25 on 25 on every side, which most find preferable to the 50 vs 5 situations huge maps tend to offer.
Well, I take your point. But did you read that Taki story I linked? Note the time - 1400 UTC. That's 1500 local here, 1600 Central European - 10am Eastern, 7am Pacific. I have NEVER seen a 50v5 on the pizza map. But I see huge numerical disparity on the small maps any time I log on.