Author Topic: P-51d Skin Im working on  (Read 692 times)

Offline AaronM2

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
P-51d Skin Im working on
« on: July 17, 2004, 04:45:40 AM »
Well i havent finished it yet but this is what i got so far tell me what u think kinda fuzzy sorry dam JPGs

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
P-51d Skin Im working on
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2004, 06:39:07 AM »
Is the nose checker supposed to be screwed up?
NEXX

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
P-51d Skin Im working on
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 01:44:03 PM »
Nexx unfortunately with this type of setup you can't avoid the wrapping errors on the top of the skin.  The forward portion and extreme aft portions will come out somewhat okay.  The middle area comes out extremely aweful.  No offense to Aaron.  It's the skin layout not the skinners themselves.

I tried a similiar skin which had almost the same results.  Not sure which bird Aaron is trying but if it's "Contrary Mary" or "Big Beautiful Doll" there is some major areas that will cause this skin to be way off from historical.  I'm not trying to discourage Aaron either.  It would have been nice if someone told me about the major faults this skin would have prior to me starting it.

For either one of the two skins I talked about here is some of the major errors that will occur.  Obviously as we've already seen the checkerboard will come out odd.  This becomes extremely noticeable when you go to the bottom of the skin and put in your lower checker boards near the gear area. It will come out striped and then checkered towards the aft portion of the airframe.  

Secondly the names for the birds, "Contrary Mary" or "Big Beautiful Doll" will look great on one side but be reversed on the opposite side.  Due to where the names set above the wing root area you don't have the ability to do an alpha mask like you do below the exhaust stacks.  So in the end you'll have one the right way and one that is written backwards.  I'm gonna assume he's doing "Big Beautiful Doll" though due to how the checker board is laid out.  On "Contrary Mary" the checker board comes all the way aft to the wing screen opposed to having the green glare paint.

Aaron I wish you the best of luck with this skin.  I'm in no way shape or form trying to discourage you from doing it.  I just wanted to give you insight on what problems you'll run into later on.  I'd hate to see you put alot of time into it like I did to only find out it's just not gonna work.  If you need some data though on this skin let me know and I'll dig up my research stuff for mine and pass it on.  

I can also show you exactly where the spinner assembly is for this bird.  Currently you can see that the forward rails of your canopy are painted green.  I can show you where you need to delete to get a proper natural metal frame in that area.  Also I've got the exact positions for the black and white spinner, plus the red tail cap for the spinner area.  On the skin the spinner paint area is actually backwards.  The front portion of it will actually paint the rear of the spinner and the aft portion of it will paint the front area of the spinner.  Also it's not a perfect squared area.  It's not even perfectly rectangular either.  It actually has an area at the bottom right which needs to be cut out to get rid of painting your canopy rails in the front.  Also some portions on the top and bottom of that area will bleed over color to where it's not supposed to be.  There is one area that you cannot fix no matter what.  There is a little cresent moon area right in front of your wind screen.  That area actually gets painted by the middle portion of your spinner paint.  So if you mask it or change it's color it will do the same to the spinner area.

Offline AaronM2

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
P-51d Skin Im working on
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 05:15:52 PM »
Im not going to put a name on it ive seen what happens 1side comes our right the other doesent so im not going to i just put a lady on it well if the top kept pincing it would look good well il-2 skins work right LMAO ive noticed that most fo Ah skin r off hopefully they will get that fixed mabe i can get that pincing to keep on to give it a nice effect what do yall think only on the tops thou