Author Topic: Neighbors new boat  (Read 3585 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2004, 08:19:30 AM »
small girl make boat look bigger than they appear.

<= back to work ... need badly some day off...:)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2004, 08:22:06 AM »
Originally posted by Maniac
How did they let trash like you into that upperclass neihbourhood Rip?

Maybe you should do some self-analysis on that question Maniac?

It is this feature that intellectuals--especially in Europe--find embittering. They know they must genuflect to democracy as a system. They cannot openly admit that an entire people--especially one comprising nearly 300 million, who enjoy all the freedoms--can be mistaken. But in their hearts these intellectuals do not accept the principle of one person, one vote. They scornfully, if privately, reject the notion that a farmer in Kansas, a miner in Pennsylvania or an auto assembler in Michigan can carry as much social and moral weight as they do. In fact, they have a special derogatory word for anyone who acts on this assumption: "populist." A populist is someone who accepts the people's verdict, even--and especially--when it runs counter to the intellectual consensus (as with capital punishment, for example). In the jargon of intellectual persiflage, populism is almost as bad as fascism--indeed, it's a step toward it.

Source:http://www.forbes.com/global/2003/0721/017_print.html (Thanks Badger)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2004, 08:22:22 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
This from "Matt"

I think he said he ended up paying $80k for it.

Quite reasonable price; couple 300hp Volvo Turbodiesels with DP-driveunits costs about the same. Nice boat anyways; I'd love to get my hands on it even if I've been a bit unlucky with boats lately :D

(Good overview to engine costs here in Finland; guess they're about the same all over the globe. Link.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 08:26:50 AM by Staga »

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2004, 08:40:14 AM »
It is this feature that intellectuals--especially in Europe--find embittering. They know they must genuflect to democracy as a system. They cannot openly admit that an entire people--especially one comprising nearly 300 million, who enjoy all the freedoms--can be mistaken. But in their hearts these intellectuals do not accept the principle of one person, one vote. They scornfully, if privately, reject the notion that a farmer in Kansas, a miner in Pennsylvania or an auto assembler in Michigan can carry as much social and moral weight as they do. In fact, they have a special derogatory word for anyone who acts on this assumption: "populist." A populist is someone who accepts the people's verdict, even--and especially--when it runs counter to the intellectual consensus (as with capital punishment, for example). In the jargon of intellectual persiflage, populism is almost as bad as fascism--indeed, it's a step toward it.

I thing he is abusing a false cognate ,populism in France (and perhaps Europe) is not the same as in his example if the word is similar the definition is different.

A populist  use a anti-elite rhetoric and just pretend to be the leader of the people for the own good of the people (he is wise because having popular support ...).

A populist negate of the minority and use the vox populi for is own objectives not for the citizen that elected him.

Populism is just another attack on democratie.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2004, 08:44:41 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
Quite reasonable price; couple 300hp Volvo Turbodiesels with DP-driveunits costs about the same. Nice boat anyways; I'd love to get my hands on it even if I've been a bit unlucky with boats lately :D

(Good overview to engine costs here in Finland; guess they're about the same all over the globe. Link.

Staga, of the 3 boats I've owned in my lifetime, the BEST outdrive was the Volvo Penta Dual-prop. That freaking outdrive was a beast!  No cavitation, quick acceleration, I'll buy another when I return to a bigger boat someday, and it will have a diesel engine too.  This VP outdrive was teamed with a Chevy 4.3 liter V-6, however it still managed 48 mph.

I like going slow enough to catch fish so HP is of no concern, but I do like to have spare ponies if I need them.

Oh, and diesel boat engines cost damn near twice the money than gas engines. :(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 08:47:57 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2004, 08:48:16 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
You know the person is mostly concerned about image when the trailer has sport wheels and decals.
J_A_B

Only 2 reasons to buy a boat like that.
Overdeveloped ego or underdeveloped man bits.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2004, 09:00:13 AM »
I spoke at great length with Matt about his purchase, I'm always curious as why someone needs that much flash...he's always loved big fast boats, something he said he's wanted his whole life and he and his wife head up to the San Juan Islands at least a couple times a year.  They can do it in about 1 hour now with this boat.  They have daughters, so he doesn't really want a fishing boat as none in his family are really interested in fishing. They just like cruising around.

In defense of Matt, he's got no atrocious ego, he's happily married with two kids, and he claims it was his wifes idea to make this purchase since its really his "dream boat"  (Ya ya, blame it on the wife! :lol )

Different boats for different folks.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2004, 10:09:11 AM »
Well if you want to enjoy the speed you really have to do it in either air or over water and boats are still cheaper than aircrafts. Of course there's exceptions to this rule...
Personally I like to spend hours in the sea and also make longer trips even in rough weather (it hurts your kidneys and back but it's just so fun...) so boat like Rip's neighbour has wouldn't be the best option for me.

Each his own; Some like mother and some like the daughter.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2004, 10:16:11 AM »
For some reason ive always found Mercruiser engines more reliable then Volvo Pentas. maybe ive just been unlucky with them.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2004, 10:22:18 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
For some reason ive always found Mercruiser engines more reliable then Volvo Pentas. maybe ive just been unlucky with them.

Both have come along way in quality over the years. The Volvo Penta duel prop is quite a bit more expensive than its Mercruiser counter part, but that may be because its not made in the US.

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2004, 10:43:39 AM »
Originally posted by Lizking
Drug boat.  Good for going fast in heavy seas, which somewhat defeats the purpose of a pleasure boat.    That is a nice specimen of the genre, though, and makes Sea Rays look like the posers they are.

I'm a 35 year boater and my present boat, a 1997 19 foot Sea Ray, has a better finish, more storage and thicker Glass than just about any boat out there.

In fact Sea Rays were honored as being among the ten best products manufactured in America. We put a wakeboard tower on ours, fat sacks to add 1500 pounds af ballast  and the Chevy 350 still has enough torque to pull my fat butt out of the water.

We're out every weekend and two or three evenings a week (live five miles from the launch ramp) and, for what we use our boat for, I wouldn't trade it for anything but another Sea Ray.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2004, 10:46:17 AM »
Originally posted by Airhead
I'm a 35 year boater and my present boat, a 1997 19 foot Sea Ray, has a better finish, more storage and thicker Glass than just about any boat out there.

In fact Sea Rays were honored as being among the ten best products manufactured in America. We put a wakeboard tower on ours, fat sacks to add 1500 pounds af ballast  and the Chevy 350 still has enough torque to pull my fat butt out of the water.

We're out every weekend and two or three evenings a week (live five miles from the launch ramp) and, for what we use our boat for, I wouldn't trade it for anything but another Sea Ray.

What are "Fat sacks" ?  I need alittle ballast in my bow, and have a nice hidden compartment up in the cuddy (storage compartment) where I could add some weight, but I've yet to decide what to add up there for weight, I need something relatively small but heavy.

Are fat sacks like shot peen sewn into bags?

Edit: Found this on the web
http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61&products_id=414&osCsid=dd327972e18e776b3d636af1b1201eb2
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 10:49:51 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2004, 10:46:59 AM »
Originally posted by AKWeav
notice the interior has alot of "Oh CHIT!" handles

Arn't those called "chicken bars"?

Or Jesus handles.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2004, 10:57:28 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
What are "Fat sacks" ?  I need alittle ballast in my bow, and have a nice hidden compartment up in the cuddy (storage compartment) where I could add some weight, but I've yet to decide what to add up there for weight, I need something relatively small but heavy.

Are fat sacks like shot peen sewn into bags?

Edit: Found this on the web
http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61&products_id=414&osCsid=dd327972e18e776b3d636af1b1201eb2

You could get the kind of lead that divers use alround their waste. takes up minimal space but heavy and easy to move aorund to find a good balance. If you need alot then i think it would be to expencive th.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2004, 10:59:31 AM »
I need about 150 lbs. of ballast in the front to make it just right. I have a trimmable outboard, but it takes full trim down for the hole shot, or the passengers to move forward in the boat to prevent alot of bow rise for an extended length.

I ordered a Sting Ray in leiu of going big bucks for alternative..trim tabs ($49 vs $500) so I'll see how well the Stingray does. This may or may not help my severe bow rise problem.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 11:01:47 AM by Ripsnort »