Author Topic: Neighbors new boat  (Read 3589 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2004, 11:49:19 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
Yeah i guess thats the same here to Ripsnort i just havent broken them down before

We basicly have these groups

Big boats that people spend their weekends and holidays on. usually Sailboats or cabincruisers from 33 feet and up to whatever your wallet can handle

Hobby fishing. From small dingys up to fairly large open boats with twin outboards

But by far the biggest group is those that has a boat mored at their summerhouse by the sea or in a marina close by. Those people (me included) use them for anything from waterskiing, shopping, fishing and for going to visit nearby summerhouses/cabins to meet freinds. etc etc. The most popular boats look like those that i posted earlyer in this thread. The dont have carpets and  usually has very deep V bottom hulls to handle well in rough/choppy seas without "jumping" on waves to much and they have teak "decks".

There are 3 brands of american boats that are successful here. Its the 18-22 foot Bayliners and Sea Rays with the open bow solution that are popular on inland lakes (not in the ocean) and Boston Whalers for the use i mentioned above.

Bayliners are a dime a dozen here...fairly cheap boat, but the quality is about avg.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2004, 11:50:10 AM »
Originally posted by rpm371
Only 2 reasons to buy a boat like that.
Overdeveloped ego or underdeveloped man bits.

Or making those late-night smuggling runs.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2004, 11:52:31 AM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
yea but the real question is:

How many cup holders does it have.

You can never have too many of them.....they are the basis for what is good and what is crap.

First thing I always look for. :D
  I have a 21 ft. pontoon boat. It has a table up front that has 4 cup holders. There are 2 cup holders, one on each side of the console and 2 in the rear, one on each side of the bench seat.  ;)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2004, 11:54:43 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Bayliners are a dime a dozen here...fairly cheap boat, but the quality is about avg.

They are cheap'ish here to. The reason they are popular on lakes is the same reason that they are unpopular on by the ocean. They tend to have fairly flat bottoms and that makes them faster with a moderate powerplant but not as good on choppy seas. Carpets are also a bad idea when they lie unatended for long periods on the ocean with all the weather (and seagulls) we _can_ get here. Carpets are however not a problem for those that use them on the lakes cause they often have them on trailers and only take them out on good days for waterskiing etc.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2004, 11:57:06 AM »
They are cheap'ish here to. The reason they are popular on lakes is the same reason that they are unpopular on by the ocean. They tend to have fairly flat bottoms and that makes them faster with a moderate powerplant but not as good on choppy seas. Carpets are also a bad idea when they lie unatended for long periods on the ocean with all the weather (and seagulls) we _can_ get here. Carpets are however not a problem for those that use them on the lakes cause they often have them on trailers and only take them out on good days for waterskiing etc.

Agreed, over 21 ft are used for the oceans here though usually.... Nowadays most boat manufacturers like Bayliner make snap-in carpet. You can take it out if you go on the ocean.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2004, 11:58:13 AM »
Originally posted by X2Lee
one sq. ft. of water wieghs 64 pounds. Its the best ballast imo
you can empty it at the lake and not trailor it home.

My boat has 800 lbs of ballast already but if I desired more it would be water weight...

Makes sense to me. Looks like I may go this route if the Sting Ray hydrofoil doesn't help.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2004, 12:02:35 PM »
The Sting Ray will help a lot. It will also eliminate any porpoising you might have.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2004, 12:09:29 PM »
Sting ray? Is that those "foils" you mount on  the drive at about the height of the prop?

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2004, 12:16:48 PM »
Sting ray? Is that those "foils" you mount on  the drive at about the height of the prop?

Yep.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2004, 12:23:43 PM »

They mount on the cavitation plate, right above the prop.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2004, 12:23:47 PM »

They mount on the cavitation plate, right above the prop.

I don't expect much improvement, but it was worth $50 to find out.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 12:27:00 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline snapperhead

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2004, 12:24:09 PM »
Rip could you email please

skjunkmail@gmail.com

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2004, 12:28:20 PM »
Done, snapper.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2004, 12:45:24 PM »
Yup ripsnort.....we get those here to. havent tried them tho.

Ever think about getting hydraulic trimplanes or wont that fit?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Neighbors new boat
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2004, 01:00:18 PM »
Yup ripsnort.....we get those here to. havent tried them tho.

Ever think about getting hydraulic trimplanes or wont that fit?

I've got space for 9" X 12" hydrolics on both sides, but that route is expensive ($500+, more for Bennett tabs..) and there is other equipment I really need first before I have that luxury item for my boat.  Its on my "Want" list, but not currently on my "Need" list.