Author Topic: Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2004, 05:06:10 PM »
I'd like to make a comment, with a disclaimer.

The disclaimer is that I don't currently fly the CT (no sub) but I did, for a while, and enjoyed it. So I may be out of touch with the times.

That being said, I'd like to say two things.

1) The reaction against Fork has been unnecessarily harsh. He did not invite this type of vehemence in his original post. I'm somewhat appalled at the insta-flame (TM) that resulted.

2) Fork, I think you have the wrong idea. You have good intentions, perhaps, but I think you confuse landing kills with being petty, and immature. What is the difference between landing 2 kills, landing no kills, and landing 10 kills? Simple: It's the message. Nothing more, nothing less. It does not mean anything related to rank mongering is happening (read all the responses, I agree. We land to land. We have our reasons. Rank is rarely one of them).

So despite the possible good intentions I would like to suggest you take no action of the like you have recommended.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2004, 05:42:40 PM »
how come a week of pto planesets always bring the strangest threads in CT? :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2004, 05:51:16 PM »
Too much salt water when people go in the drink.

Offline Jasta

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2004, 07:09:32 PM »
malaria

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2004, 07:37:53 PM »
worms?

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2004, 07:42:28 PM »
cause the axis are limited to one fighter while the allies have 2x as much.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline 1Duke1

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2004, 08:21:37 PM »
Originally posted by B17Skull12
cause the axis are limited to one fighter while the allies have 2x as much.
:rolleyes:
Duke

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2004, 08:34:28 PM »
I keep telling the CT staff to enable the "Claude" for early setups ... but nooooooooo.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2004, 10:34:33 PM »
Originally posted by 1Duke1
:rolleyes:
hell id would not care if the allies had lghey7's as long as we get the same number of fighters as they do.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2004, 09:34:26 AM »
hell id would not care if the allies had lghey7's as long as we get the same number of fighters as they do.

So if Allies had the '51D,Tiffie, and the Yak9U ,and Axis had the 202,A6M2, and the 109E. Would you think that fair?

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2004, 10:43:24 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
(makes rude gesture) (twice)

- oldman

Pretty bold words from a kill landing score potato like you. :)

For those who weren't there, Oldman landed 2 kills the other night (must have been an accident).

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
Re: Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2004, 10:44:59 AM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
What would you guys think about disabling ranking in the CT?  Maybe develop a code of ethics for flying into the CT just like in Fighter Ace (no shooting smoking/flaming aircraft).  Am I the only one who is aware of this?

I'm not a regular in the CT anymore, although for better than a year I was. When I first started playing in the CT there was a "code" of ethics, albeit unwritten, that was followed by just about all of the regular players. I left when most of the "newer" regular players completely disregarded that code of ethics and made the arena a much less pleasant place to play. The few times I've been back in the CT recently I've seen a resurgence of the kind of player interaction that first attracted me to the arena.
Having said that I think anyone trying to "legislate" a moral standard in the CT beyond a game-wide, HTC generated ROC is asking for trouble. The effort needed to enforce that standard will be considerable and the effort will be counter productive - the results won't be pretty.
Landing 2-kill flights a problem? I don't think so. Given HTC's scoring/ranking method I hardly think this can be considered "score-whoring". Anyone landing any kills is a cause for celebration, or should be. Penalizing someone for achieving multiple, consecutive flights of 2 kills isn't going to get you what you're looking for. As for not displaying player ranks, other than using that as a method for differentiating the CT from the MA I don't see any purpose in it. Those who care about ranks will be annoyed that they aren't displayed and those who don't care about ranks, won't care that ranks aren't displayed.
If you want to change the general attitude in the CT pull the heavy-hitters aside and talk to them and figure out a 'standard' set of behaviours to look down on, and then put that into effect during game-play in the arena. Peer pressure works better, faster and with less effort than anything else that I know of.

Cheers,
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2004, 11:12:28 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
For those who weren't there, Oldman landed 2 kills the other night (must have been an accident).

It was shock-and-awe night in the CT.

- oldman

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2004, 12:33:20 PM »
Originally posted by Slash27

So if Allies had the '51D,Tiffie, and the Yak9U ,and Axis had the 202,A6M2, and the 109E. Would you think that fair?
perfect overshoot machine.
II/JG3 DGS II

storch

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the CT becoming a mini-MA?
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2004, 02:17:08 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
Pretty bold words from a kill landing score potato like you. :)

I was one of those kills.  He nailed me fair and square in a beautiful chandelle that I simply could not dodge.  Good flying OM.  I'm glad it was you!