Author Topic: 109E-4 overlap -- why does this skin hate me?  (Read 622 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
109E-4 overlap -- why does this skin hate me?
« on: July 24, 2004, 04:01:50 PM »

As you can see, the 109E stretches the dorsal skin slightly at a skewed angle to achieve what looks more like a "splinter pattern" than just having the camo wrap straight over and down.

However, it ONLY wraps from the default  camo level. If you are doing a skin (like myself) that has a canopy-level pattern (as opposed to a high dorsal pattern) then you WILL get this problem. It stretches/skews, but STOPS where the old camo stops.

I need suggestions, folks. How do I get around this?

You see where the "top" part stops and the "side" part begins, that is where the stretch stops, so that it leaves a step. I cannot just shift that one side, as there is only 1 side, and this will happen no matter how far fore/aft you shift it.

I wanted to make this skin accurate. Not to mention it looks better with the lower camo line. However I'm at a loss here. I'll work on the wings for a while, wait for some feedback :(

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 04:13:09 PM »
Krusty unfortunately with skins like this there is little you can do to fix this problem.  The Pony D is the same way.  It only has one side and mirrors it across.  So in some areas where you need a high back or nose area paint it just wraps it and looks goofy.  The pony is the same way.  Trying to do good checkerboards is a pain.  From the side angle it looks fine but go to a high or low side angle and you can see the errors.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 04:37:58 PM »
Sigh... I wish they'd redone ALL the skins before releasing AH2. It's a very important issue. We can't skin on most of these. They just are NOT skinner-friendly.

I guess I'm stuck making it a high-dorsal camo pattern (which, personally, I don't prefer)

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 05:14:13 AM »
alot  of the planes  have the same problem   and  it  is  frustrating
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin