Author Topic: Destroyable Roads?  (Read 500 times)

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Destroyable Roads?
« on: July 26, 2004, 02:48:08 AM »
Is it pheasable for AH2 have a road damage system?  Ex you drop a bomb ona road and it stops the convoy for x amount of mins?  Was watching history channel today and saw that is what the USAAF used to stop the3 germans during the battle of the bulge.

II/JG3 DGS II

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004, 09:40:54 AM »
Not a good idea for game play. The hole point of the convoy is to have a moving target. With cutting roads, you have turned a moving target into a static target.

HiTech

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004, 10:23:59 AM »
A couple of suggestions, HT:

* I understand the need for moving targets such as convoys, and I must say strafing supply trucks is a real hoot in aircraft. But in a GV perspective, the 60mph travelling trucks are very hard targets to manage.

So, how about if a hostile GV blocks the road, the trucks stop moving when it meets the GV?

* How about roads giving an advantage to GVs? Something like 'vehicles will travel 3mph faster when on a road', or 'vehicles can land safely on a road, if no enemy presence nearby'?

The point of these suggestions is, the road system, coupled with the forests and terrain features make a really beautiful scenery.

Currently the GV battles are mostly "open-space battle", where GVs meet in a wide space, which is ofcourse very fun. But having an opportunity for different kinds of GV battles - road fighting, blockade busting, and forest ambush and etc etc.. would be very fun.

If there was some logic to compell GVs to use roads, or tempt the GV to blockade the road, then it'll provide great opportunities for GVs to fight at some critical points of the road.

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2004, 11:13:41 AM »
off the topic a little but whoever built there roads need to go back to enginering school, ever ride on them?

come on now a little levelness please, now i expect to travel on roads that incline and decline but these ones slant sideways really bad:p

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 11:14:35 AM »
off the topic a little but whoever built these roads need to go back to enginering school, ever ride on them?

come on now a little levelness please, now i expect to travel on roads that incline and decline but these ones slant sideways really bad:p

probably asking for too much detail here for this game to handle, but just something that would be nice to have for us gv guys

Offline alison

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 09:18:19 PM »
Obviousley you've never been to Virginia

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 03:36:18 PM »
Originally posted by alison
Obviousley you've never been to Virginia

actually just got back from virginia today, mostly on I95 did'nt see any ah roads there though:p

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 11:29:30 PM »
Originally posted by 68DevilM
actually just got back from virginia today, mostly on I95 did'nt see any ah roads there though:p

You should take a trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway...bet you think different then, or even some back country roads like up route 89 hehe  :)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 06:20:36 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa

Currently the GV battles are mostly "open-space battle", where GVs meet in a wide space, which is ofcourse very fun. But having an opportunity for different kinds of GV battles - road fighting, blockade busting, and forest ambush and etc etc.. would be very fun.

Couple a weeks ago I was in a GV battle in middle of forest. That was awesome! That was sure the best GV fight Ive ever done in AH. I had to move fast, find shooting positions between trees, need new position before someone sees you etc. It was really exiting. I got 10 kills before someone killed me. :aok
I am a spy!

Offline alison

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 09:09:28 PM »
Originally posted by 68DevilM

Try Va Beach, the roads tilt to the edge, they have really big holes in them, and the roads in AH that go straight up a hill are easier to drive on.
As for I95, its a interstate, ALL interstates in Va are in good condition, except the ones areound here (ie, 64-264-460) in the  Hampton roads area,  264 in Va Beach is more like a denolishion derby dureing rush hour ( all 4 hours of rush hour ) And forger Lynnhaven pkwy between 4pm and 6pm. its a parking lot.
so I'd rather drive on an AH road straight up a hill any day :)

Offline alison

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 09:10:02 PM »
Yes I rambled, so what :)

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2004, 09:32:40 AM »
Originally posted by alison
Try Va Beach, the roads tilt to the edge, they have really big holes in them, and the roads in AH that go straight up a hill are easier to drive on.
As for I95, its a interstate, ALL interstates in Va are in good condition, except the ones areound here (ie, 64-264-460) in the  Hampton roads area,  264 in Va Beach is more like a denolishion derby dureing rush hour ( all 4 hours of rush hour ) And forger Lynnhaven pkwy between 4pm and 6pm. its a parking lot.
so I'd rather drive on an AH road straight up a hill any day :)

hell why am i worried about va roads?;)  im from upstate ny.. you want to see some tore up roads, lots of mountains too.. but they dont slant to the side at a 45 degree angle unless your going around a turn, in ah take a good look at some of those roads, matter of fact im gonna take some snapshots of some of them, ive seen some where they go srait up a mountain at a 70-80 degree incline while slanted to the left at 45 degrees,, anyways just a game right, cant be perfect:rolleyes:

Offline tce2506

• Copper Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 11:16:21 AM »
On the same subject, why can't runways be taken out with bombs?

Offline Rasker

• Silver Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 11:56:03 AM »
actually with 3 forms of lancs, and a perfect drop, a runway can be taken down for 1 or 2 minutes, just like in real life.  :) Go offline, go into Arena settings, then object settings.

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
Destroyable Roads?
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 12:30:07 PM »
hmm really? didnt know they could be taken out?

cratered all to hell! yes!

heard refuel pads could be destroyed though