Author Topic: Your router may be compromised  (Read 209 times)

Offline Stegahorse

• Copper Member
Your router may be compromised
« on: July 26, 2004, 04:12:15 PM »
A vulnerability has been identified for routers involving the DCHP.
Goto your router manufacturor's support site for more Information .

For those unused to upgrading the router software, it ain't hard!

You will download a file, either an upgrade utility or a .bin file or a zipped version of the .bin file. In any case, this .bin file will need to be unzipped. The upgrade utility will do this for you. The point being, you need to know where the new .bin file is. Make a note of where it is for use in a couple of steps from now.

When you start the upgrade, a dialog box will appear.
First it will ask for your pouter's IP address. The default is 192.186.1.1 unless you changed it (not likely for this reader).
Enter the IP address for the router.

Next it promps for the password to your router. Hopefully you have changed it since the default password for most routers is "admin". If not, you can change after you have upgraded.
Enter your password.

Now it promps for the upgrade file. There should be a browse button to locate the new .bin file you uploaded. Browse to it , click to open. You should be back to the upgrade dialog box now. Click upgrade button.
A progress bar should show up and when it finishes, your done!
BTW, I noticed a faster performance when I browsed after the upgrade!

If you have not changed your router password, NOW is the time. From your internet browser, IE for example, Type in the address bar,     192.168.1.1. A dialog pops up asking for your username ans password. Check the Documentaion for your router for the default information. Usually these are both  admin.
Enter the info and click ok.
A web page will appear. This is your Router's "web page". Amoung the tabs you see should be one for the password. Click on that Tab and follow the prompts to enter a new password. Click save changes ( of the eqivalent) and remember the password you entered.
Now you should be a little safer from those mean ol' nasty hackers!!:cool:
I thought I was important until I got Cancer and had to go to a cancer clinic.