Author Topic: How about now?  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How about now?
« on: July 31, 2004, 01:29:37 AM »
Before feedback:

After feedback:

Better? I'm still learning about how to do the motle on the sides, but I think this looks better. I used the original (scaled up) as a sort of template/inspiration this time. Note the wing view shows the re-done panel lines

Edit: As shown on the "after" pic, ditching is now enabled in patch 7 WOOHOO!!!! (About time lol!)

Offline AaronM2

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
How about now?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2004, 01:43:15 AM »
Looks good so far G/J :aok

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
How about now?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2004, 07:51:36 AM »
Krusty it does look good. I"m curious though as to what size pixel your using for your lines?  Also are you making them partially transparent.  

If your using rather large line try using an inner glow or drop shadow effects.  It's my own personal preference but I use a drop shadow that goes typically in one direction and and only affects one side of the lines.  Yours seems to glow on all sides.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How about now?
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 01:01:19 PM »
The panel lines are 1 pixel thick (non anti-aliased).

The drop shadow is a 100% opacity grey set to "Normal" with distance=1 blur=1 intensity=14 and the overall layer it is applied to (the panel lines) set to 40% opacity.

I tried some with a "crisp" highlight exactly 1 pixel offset, but I don' t know if I liked them that way. It looked odd.

Offline Polaris

• Zinc Member
How about now?
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2004, 01:56:30 PM »
My god..  And people think computer networking language is Greek.  LOL

BTW, Krusty, everyone in I./ZG26 is sincerely appreciative of all your work so far.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 02:00:38 PM by Polaris »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How about now?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2004, 05:36:06 PM »
Heh, I didn't know any were paying attention!

Polaris: How does the skin get used in the SEA? Is it the usual "HTC approves a skin" type of thing, or is it each squad CO can submit only for the SEA a skin, etc?

If so I don't know if the skin will be accepted in time for the first frame. Once I nail down the panel lines I'll submit it (barring any other relevant feedback), but I've still not received word from my 109E skin a while back (HTC is backlogged and busy). Just FYI.

Offline Polaris

• Zinc Member
How about now?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2004, 08:07:28 PM »
They've been aware since the very first thread I made requesting the skin.  ;)

As far as the proceedure...  I thought it was along the lines of a general skin submission as outlined on the http://www.ah-skins.com page.  Being as they're backlogged, you're probably right in saying we won't see it in time for the first frame.  That's okay.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
How about now?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 08:51:59 PM »
Krusty they look fine.  My only concern is how they'd look from the pit by the person flying it.  At a distance no one would know the difference at all.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How about now?
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2004, 09:11:49 PM »
Well, the same could be said for 90% of all skins out there :(

I guess it's up to the people flying close or those that know what skin they have.

Ah well, I've submitted it, and have cleaned up some .psd files and made a template like I promised to do. The template is up at http://www.ah-skins.com

[EDIT] Hold off on that ah-skins thing.. I can't upload it for some reason...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 09:14:47 PM by Krusty »

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
How about now?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2004, 09:28:02 PM »
Krusty true..It's a very hard thing to do when making your panel lines look realistic.  Sometimes when going from one color to the next they look odd and sometimes they don't.  Drives me nuts trying to get what I think is the right look when transitioning like that.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How about now?
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2004, 09:34:34 PM »
I hear ya... It drove me batty on my 109E. I ended up using a screen overlay opacity (rather than normal) or some-such trick. On the 110 I didn't monkey around too much. I just found something that looked good and then made it lighter with opacity (to make it subtle). For the 110 the panel lines are subtle from the outside, but you can see them as rather pixelated from inside when looking at the wings (annoying, but nothing I can do about it)

Offline Polaris

• Zinc Member
How about now?
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 09:54:42 AM »
Sir!

The skin looks GREAT and has been approved!  I've sent the link on to the I./ZG26 CO and have asked him to distribute the news to the rest of the gruppe.  

Thanks again!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How about now?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 11:03:37 AM »
It has? That's news to me! I've not heard word 1 from HTC yet!

Offline Polaris

• Zinc Member
How about now?
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 11:50:26 AM »
Yessir.  It's up there and available for download.  Thanks again!

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
How about now?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 01:17:13 PM »
Well Hrm... Can anybody tell me if my 109E (9./JG 54 w/ tiger stripe camo) made it in? I never got word on that either. I would just go into the MA and check, but I don't have a subscription.