Author Topic: Anyone coming from Warbirds 2.77r3 ?  (Read 803 times)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Anyone coming from Warbirds 2.77r3 ?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2004, 12:11:24 PM »
what was your WB game ID?

Voss ;)
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline F16_Steinhoff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 11:51:20 AM »
Thanks for the input and offering. I´m already in a FB squad http://www.flygflottilj16.se/ and cant say if I´ll find time to fly with another.

Anyway I tried AH out, but not enough I admit. Nice interface, lightyears from that clumsy FB :) . Looks good, and I dont mind the cockpit of the Mustang being more for userfriendlieness than 100% historical (cant say the same for the fw190 though) .The sound of the P51 is just great.

I just shot at some drones flying around the field, funny thing was they continued flying as normal with all their wings shot off.

I guess the flightmodel of WB 2.77 felt more challenging.

Would like to try some carrierlandings but couldnt find out how to set up such a game last time. Will give it some more time. Seems to be alot to learn just about the game itself.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 12:16:49 PM »
Think of IL2/FB/AEP and WB cockpits as 2.5D then. The artwork IS 3D, but the position (not direction) of the pilots head is set in stone. In AH the pilot's head can be moved around inside the pit, making the environment not just the artwork 3D.

I understand that there was some "clash" with the developers and that some of them went on to create AH. I´ve tried WB3/2004 and to me it was a shock! The cockpits look like hell, the terrain is uninspiring and the "realistic" flightmodels feels like a railride.

Hitech (Dale) and Pyro (Doug) WERE the original developers of Warbirds. They took it well into the 2.x area (cannot remember what rev) before they sold it to a bunch of suits at IEN who effectively alienated much of the long-term community members and emasculated what was an excellent MMOL sim. Warbirds never improved after IEN bought them, it just sank further and further into oblivion. I took a look at Air Warrior but was unimpressed, even tried WW2OL when it was beta, ditto. About that time AH went beta, have been here since and don't plan on going anywhere. IL2 is a really nice boxed sim, but thats all it is, and probably all it ever will be.