Author Topic: How to start making a skin  (Read 670 times)

Offline Canaris

• Zinc Member
How to start making a skin
« on: August 01, 2004, 08:46:31 PM »
I want to start working on some skins but I dont know how to get started.

If someone could get me started it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Canaris

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 09:17:29 PM »
Well, open AH2. Go offline. Pick the plane you want to skin in the   hangar, right click on it and save the skin. Then exit and go to the AH2 skins\ folder. Look for the plane of that name. Inside are many files.

Just look for the skins you want to chance (usually the body file and the wings file) and **resize the bitmaps to 1024x1024** before beginning.

Then edit however you see fit. Note that increasing the size allows higher quality. Most of us are re-drawing the panel lines (etc) in higher resolution as we go.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2004, 09:19:03 PM »
Canaris first thing you need is some type of paint program.  Many use one the two most well known, Paint Shop Pro and Adobe Photoshop.  There is a list of other programs out there like Corel Photopaint which will also work just fine.

Secondly you need to "save" your skin.  Go into the game, click on the hangar. Select the plane you like then right click and hit save skin.  This will place your skin in the skins folder in the AH2 directory.  If you did a normal install and didn't change the location of your install this will be the file location. C:\Program Files\HTC\Aces High II\skins.

Go into your paint program and open a new file.  Search for the directory I stated above and find a fold inside of there that would say something like, "p51d".  As an example these are files you'll need to open from that folder,  P51DSID and P51DWNG.  These two files have your main fuselage and wing areas on it.

Now if you plane on completely redoing the skin you'll need to start with adding some basic layers; Metal, Rivets, Fasteners,Weathering,and Paint.  Not necessarily in that order though.  Typically you'd do metal, paint, rivets, fasteners, and weathering.  Just really depends on how you want the skin to look.  

Now this is something I do and maybe others do it too. I outline the major body selections.  I'll even outline the individual components that I may not even be changing.  Use your marquee tool or lasso and try to be as precise as possible and trace the area you want to save.  Once you've got it outlined with the marquee/lasso tool you want to save it to a alpha channel.  What this will allow you to do is quickly grab certain areas without affecting everything else around that particular layer.  I do this with every selection and name them accordingly so they are easy to reselect.

Now start with your basics.  First and foremost your panel lines and basic metal layer.  Select your panel layer and use the pencil or line tool to draw over the already existing panel lines that HT has done on their skin.  So long as your on your panel line layer you don't have to worry about altering the original picture.  Typically you'll want your panel lines 1 pixel wide.  If you have a pen tool it can do wonders for panel lines.  Now trace all your panel lines and your done with that for now.  

Keep doing the same thing for each layer until you've got a basic setup.  I myself prefer to do all the metal, rivets, panel lines, fasteners and sometimes the basic weathering first.  Then I move on to specific paint schemes, weathering, tint layers, ect... Hopefully this will get you started.  Be sure to check your picture size, it should be 1024x1024 in resolution.  You want to paint in RGB and then when your done change it to a indexed photo for implementation into the game.  I'd suggest though when you feel you've got a decent initial setup. Do a copy merged layers and paste it to a new file with 1024x1024 properties.  Then save it with the correct game file names.  Then when your done editing for the day you can save your original "template" as a PSP or PSD file so all your layers will still be there when you go to open it up again later.  Hope this helps some.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 11:58:57 AM »
Cobra412 and Krusty have gotten you started but you'll need to see the skin applied in-game.

You need to do four things to see your skin (off-line only).

1. You must create a new folder in the 'skins' folder with the proper skin name.  It must comply with the naming syntax that AH2 expects. (Explanation below)

2. You must copy only the files you want to modify into this folder.

3. You must add a text file describing the skin.  This text file will be displayed on the clipboard in the hanger when you enter the game 'Off-line'.

After you’ve done 1-3 above, test to see that everything is working before you bother with Step 4.  Be sure to make plenty of backup copies of your work as you go along and you can leave them inside your new skin folder.

4. You need to set your video settings to 1024 texture size so you can actually see all the detail you're applying in your paint program.  Remember the original setting so you can put it back to the correct setting to play the game or your frame rates will be in the tolet.

Good luck and happy skinning.

Syntax for number 1:
When you ‘Save Skin’ in the hanger and the new skin folder is deposited in your ‘skins’ folder, it will be named for the plane type you selected.  You need to attach a number to the end of the folders’ plane name.  Open the AH2/skins folder, use list view and arrange by name.  You should see your new folder at the top.  Scroll down the list and see if there are any ‘RES’ file names for the plane you’re working on.  If you are working on a p51d and the last p51d RES file in the list says p51d6 then you need to name your folder p51d7, that’s an increment of one to the number at the end of the file name.  If there are no RES files with your plane name, simple attach the number 1 to the end of your folder name.

Text file for number 3.
Open Notepad.  Type a one line plane description using about 32 characters.  Something like “File p51d7 my plane”.  Save the file inside your new skin folder and name it the same name used for the folder when AH2 save the skin.  In other words the plane name without the number you added to the folder name i.e. p51d.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 12:10:00 PM »
I see I forgot to explane the things you need to do with the folders.

When AH puts the 'saved skin folder' in your 'skins' folder, you don't want to rename this folder.  Instead, create an new folder and follow the naming syntax I described above.

Then COPY only the files you want to modify from the original folder to your new folder.  I move the folder AH made out of the skins folder and leave it somewhere I can find it if I need it later.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001