Author Topic: so, you helped huh? (Warsaw Uprising)  (Read 5881 times)

Offline ramzey

• Gold Member
so, you helped huh? (Warsaw Uprising)
« Reply #225 on: August 06, 2004, 12:51:26 PM »
Originally posted by Boroda
Sorry, I didn't mean that Poles were "worse". I only try to show you what politics of some countries aimed at immediate success was unwise when we see all the consequences. What if Poland opposed Munich agreements and offered assistance to Czechoslovakia instead of ripping it apart together with Hitler with the assistance of "superpowers" like UK and France? What if it agreed to let Soviet air force use Polish airfields? (I intentionally don't speak about letting Red Army ground troops operate from Polish territory).

It wasn't very wise IMHO to rely on "allies" who sold out Czechoslovakia just to "calm down" Hitler.

Unfortunately, Poland was a victim of the same policy to make Germans and Russians fight each other while gentlemen in the West could sit looking at it and get profits from selling arms to both sides...

well, we both know for post ww2 europe worse enemy was comunistic russia then weimar republic germany . Thats why we focus on defence our eastern border.
Its come from "capitalistic" point of view, people who bevere loose of they property..............

But insane is suspect Poles, as enemy of russia will let them bring their troops to poland after 124 years occupacy and after 20 years of independence.
Its like ask russiians now to let US planes use land bases for striking Iraq or afganistan, Is Puting let americans use their airspace? no, som small countries did who feel independent from russia.

i dont like this weel of big politics and hate between natios , cuz i not see a reason to fight with other nations only beucose they are speak diferent language or small diferent ;)

So better lets have peace on the world and let read kids such a history from books about ancient history:aok

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #226 on: August 06, 2004, 12:56:15 PM »
Amen to that !
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #227 on: August 06, 2004, 03:04:23 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Romanina cavalry on the Southern Flank of Stalingrad.

I don't know the exact strength of the Germans in N Africa, but based on the troops they lost there my estimate above could be quite true.

Tell me again if you think the USSR had won Stalingrad if the entire Axis African army had been there...

Angus stop now.

The number of Germans surrendering at Tunisia in 1943 was at the lowest near 125,000, of them 90.000 Heer members. The rest of the approx. 250,000 surrendering troops were Italians.

We can take a highest probable number from the following reports

30 March 1943: which gives 5.Pz.-Armee strength as 60,150 Heer, 35,000 Luftwaffe, 5,500 Marine, 400 Italians and 1,950 Wehrmacht Gefolge

31 March 1943: which gives German strength in Afrika as 109,178 Heer, 54,264 Luftwaffe and 5,540 Marine (that figure includes both 5.Pz.-Arme and the Germans in 1.It.-Armee)

10 February 1943: which gives Italian strength at that time as 192,000 army troops (including natives) and 21,000 air force navy and civilian workers, a total of 213,000 (unfortunately I have been unable to locate complete Italian reports for later dates)

So a figure of about 169,000 Germans and 200,000 Italians by 1 March does not seem unreasonable, and makes Allied reports of 250,000 Axis PW perfectly plausible but they are not all Germans and would have no difference in Stalingrad.

Why are you purposely distorting the importance of Tunisia? I can guess that’s because the last battle the English had a major contribution.

Romanians were not on the "Southern" flank". The Germans didn’t loose Stalingrad because of "lack of troops". Even if the Germans won in Tunisia they still would have been occupied and unable to help in Stalingrad.

You are posting nonsense that is beyond ignorant at this point.

Here's the best web source in English about Stalingrad

http://users.pandora.be/stalingrad/

I doubt you can read this map anyway but look to the North, Do you see the River Don.

As the Germans pushed toward Stalin grad they hadn’t taken the time to clear several large Russian Bridgeheads. This gave the Soviets "jump off point" for the North portion Operation Uranus. Now read which Axis troops were defending that area. The Romanian 3rd Army was the main Axis protagonist at the decisive place on arguably the most decisive day of the entire world war: 19 November 1942 on the River Don.  Had Hitler reinforced the Romanians with Manstein's 5 divisions form the Crimea instead of transferring them North and had actually looked at the map and made and effort to eliminate those bridgeheads the Soviets would not have broken through as quickly.

Hitler made another fatal mistake following Operation Blue

Again Hitler changed plans, he transferred Manstein's five divisions from the Crimea to the Leningrad front instead of the Caucasus, assuming that the Russian were almost beaten.

Once his forces had reached Rostov, Hitler decided to split his troops so that they could both invade the rest of the Caucasus and take the important industrial city of Stalingrad on the Volga River, 220 miles northeast of Rostov. Army Group South was divided in two parts. Army Groups A and B. In the north,  Army Group B, (Stalingrad) commanded by von Weichs. In the south, List commanded Army Group A
(Caucasus). Hitler's generals are stunned.

This decision was to have fatal consequences for the Germans, since they lacked the resources to successfully take and hold both of these objectives.

Hitler failed to reinforce his drive toward the city but more importantly he split his forces sending Army Group A south into the Caucasus in hopes of securing the oil fields. That never happened. Maikop was blown by retreating Russians. By the time the Soviets launched Uranus there was huge gap in South between Group A and 6th army in Stalingrad. I doubt you can comprehend any of this but Tunisia would have made little difference. Those troops could not have redeployed to Stalingrad anyway.

The decision to hold 6th army in Stalingrad was a mistake based on false assumptions and false promises made by Goring to Hitler. Stalingrad wasn't  the "tragedy" as you seem imply either. Army Group South recovered somewhat and were able to rebuild a defensive line. Its importance was that the Germans would never  again be able to get that close to the oil fields in the Caucasus. That was the whole goal to begin with.

Also you  forget (or are unaware) at the time of Operation Uranus the Soviet launched Operation Mars against Army Group Center. Mars was a complete failure and  Zhukov's worst defeat of the war. Had the Soviets achieved their goals with Mars we Satlingrad would hardly be mentioned.

http://fmso.leavenworth.army.mil/fmsopubs/issues/countrpt/countrpt.htm

Operation Mars cost the Red Army nearly half a million men killed, wounded, or captured. Individual Soviet combat units were decimated in the operation. The Soviet 20th Army lost 58,524 men out of its original strength of over 114,000 men.72  General Solomatin's 1st Mechanized Corps lost 8,100 of its 12,000 men and all of its 220 tanks, and the accompanying 6th Stalin Rifle Corps lost over 20,000 of its 30,000 men.73  At lower levels the cost was even higher. The 8th Guards Rifle Corp's 26th Guards Rifle Division emerged from combat with 500 of its over 7,000 combat infantrymen intact, while the 4,500 man 148th and 150th Rifle Brigades had only 27 and 110 "fighters," respectively, available at the end of the operation.74

Soviet tank losses, correctly estimated by the Germans as around 1,700, were equally staggering, in as much as they exceeded the total number of tanks the Soviets initially committed in Operation Uranus at Stalingrad.75  In Western armies losses such as these would have prompted the removal of senior commanders, if not worse. In the Red Army it did not, for when all was said and done, Zhukov fought, and the Red Army needed fighters.

Of all the thing that were taking place during this period Tunisia was at the bottom of the list.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #228 on: August 06, 2004, 03:55:28 PM »
Stop? Me? Not really.
I'll contribute a little fact into the pool.

Oh, and bear in mind that I am not saying that the Tunisian campaign, or indeed any other engagements in the desert war are bigger than Stalingrad.
However, what my point is, that had the Allies given away N-Africa, the Axis would have won at Stalingrad.
Note, captured at the fall of Tunisia, 250.000 AXIS troops.
Troops in the Stalingrad fight were also from Romania (greenhorns) and Hungary.
There were Italians on the eastern front as well.

The Germans were at their best parts only 1 Km from getting the whole bank of the river. The whole city. So sure of victory that Hitler declared that Stalingrad was in their hands.
But a few things happened to turn this around.
Firstly and most importantly,the Russians kept fighting, and at horrible costs, sending in more troops.
Then the western allies sudfdenly went mad in N-Africa. At this exact turning point, Hitler sent the bulk (70%+) of his vital air transport, and 400 fighters to N-Africa. None of these were to return. BTW, I think Rommel lost roughly 500 tanks at El-Alamein. That was done on November the 3rd.
Anyway, they failed to get to the River, and therefore could not stop the Russians pumping in more troops.

What on a large scale crippled the Germans in the long fight that followed was exactly lack of supplies, and Hitler taking over the command, denying von Paulus of the only sensible move, which was to break out of the forming pocket.
It was actually lack of fuel eventually that nailed the armoured divisions down, - fuel for 50 Km's was not enough.
So SLAM. the tables turned and Germans that had been butchering the Soviets, were routed instead.

Now to N-Africa.

Stalingrad happens at the time of Tunisia, AND El Alamein, AND the landings of operation Torch.
Counting the Axis tied down in N-Africa really means ALL the axis in N-Africa, as well as the Axis that got killed in the process.

Do you think those forces would have been sufficient to capture the last 1 Km strip to the river?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 03:58:57 PM by Angus »
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #229 on: August 06, 2004, 03:59:09 PM »
aungus stop being an idiot.  Russian's had 2 million around stalingrad.  300000 axis troops wouldn't have made a different.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #230 on: August 06, 2004, 04:12:57 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Stop? Me? Not really.
I'll contribute a little fact into the pool.

Oh, and bear in mind that I am not saying that the Tunisian campaign, or indeed any other engagements in the desert war are bigger than Stalingrad.
However, what my point is, that had the Allies given away N-Africa, the Axis would have won at Stalingrad.
Note, captured at the fall of Tunisia, 250.000 AXIS troops.
Troops in the Stalingrad fight were also from Romania (greenhorns) and Hungary.
There were Italians on the eastern front as well.

The Germans were at their best parts only 1 Km from getting the whole bank of the river. The whole city. So sure of victory that Hitler declared that Stalingrad was in their hands.
But a few things happened to turn this around.
Firstly and most importantly,the Russians kept fighting, and at horrible costs, sending in more troops.
Then the western allies sudfdenly went mad in N-Africa. At this exact turning point, Hitler sent the bulk (70%+) of his vital air transport, and 400 fighters to N-Africa. None of these were to return. BTW, I think Rommel lost roughly 500 tanks at El-Alamein. That was done on November the 3rd.
Anyway, they failed to get to the River, and therefore could not stop the Russians pumping in more troops.

What on a large scale crippled the Germans in the long fight that followed was exactly lack of supplies, and Hitler taking over the command, denying von Paulus of the only sensible move, which was to break out of the forming pocket.
It was actually lack of fuel eventually that nailed the armoured divisions down, - fuel for 50 Km's was not enough.
So SLAM. the tables turned and Germans that had been butchering the Soviets, were routed instead.

Now to N-Africa.

Stalingrad happens at the time of Tunisia, AND El Alamein, AND the landings of operation Torch.
Counting the Axis tied down in N-Africa really means ALL the axis in N-Africa, as well as the Axis that got killed in the process.

Do you think those forces would have been sufficient to capture the last 1 Km strip to the river?

The city is irrelevant, that is not where the Germans lost.  There were no 300000 troops in Tunisia. There were at best 150000 or so Germans were lost. They would not have made a bit of difference. They could not have been withdrawn from NA. The Italians could not have withdrawn and even if they were they would have been withdrawn to defend Italy not sent to Stalingrad.

Your phantom 300000 troops in Tunisia being sent going to Stalingrad to save the day is just fantasy bullshyt.

You haven’t added facts; you have contributed inaccurate incorrect information that is wrong on so many levels. "Romanians on the Southern Front".

Operation Uranus wasn’t about fighting in Stalingrad but in trapping 6th army there. The situation in the city didn’t become dire until it was encircled. 300000 more troops in the city would have meant another 300000 trapped. Once encircled they could not have gotten in.  You have no clue as to the size of the front, the conditions that lead to 6th army being encircled and yet you feel qualified to offer an opinion on how the Germans could have won.

It’s complete nonsense. Had Germany had 300000 spare troops they wouldn’t have went to Stalingrad. The North needed reinforcement; Army Group Center was fighting for its life against Mars etc...

So yeah you should stop and head to the library.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2004, 04:21:50 PM »
What I am saying and you do not understand is this:

1. No N-African campaign from the allied side (lost or discarded) = a lot stronger German armed forces on the eastern front.

2. A good proportion of the axis air strength at Stalingrad was shipped away at a most crucial moment.
(I guess the Germans thought they already had it )

I did not say there were 300.000 Axis troops in Tunisia, however that must be close to correct, for after months of fighting, 250.000 AXIS troops were captured. Fact.

Damnit, you're as stubborn as myself

:D

Oh, and this
"aungus stop being an idiot. Russian's had 2 million around stalingrad. 300000 axis troops wouldn't have made a different."

I disagree. 300.000 troops, 500-1000 aircraft and 500-1000 tanks vs a 1 km strip along the river would have :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 04:23:57 PM by Angus »

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2004, 05:36:51 PM »
Originally posted by anonymous
yes huge mistakes were apparently made. and everyone responsible for them is now in the grave. so move on with your damn life dude. are you saying that because uk and france were slow to act against nazis SIXTY years ago that they will always be this way if poland needs help? the civilized world is at war as you type this nonsense and youre busy trying to pin a guilt trip on a bunch of people that had nothing to do with the wrongs commited. grow up and move on. youre weeping over innocent people killed long ago by a lack of character on the part of a couple of national leaders. it isnt pretty but in the grand scheme of things its the nine hundreth time its happened in the history of the world. if it bothers you this much sixty years later enlist in polands military or become a politician and make sure it dont happen again. and while youre asking your rhetorical damning questions about the uk and the french well a bunch of the guys you are damning did way more and paid a way higher price to stop the nazis than you have ever done show some respect.

So.. .little funny guy, first of all... if you ever did more then did... i believe you are typing from your warm home, same as i do... so... take your cup of cofee and enjoy your lazy day.

Other then that...
In canse you missed, as far as i know currently our forces are supporting USA in IRAQ (not to mention many peace keeping ones in the other regions of the world). Please point me to the words i said that Poland need your help nowdays? We are doing fine by ourselves and we learned our lesson. Differently to our Allies (from WW2), we are not cowards or traitors.
Is that clear enought for you?

Face the facts dude... and before replaying this post, please once again, show me the post with me asking for help :D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 07:27:20 PM by bikekil »

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #233 on: August 06, 2004, 06:13:56 PM »
ANGUS....you finally said it ,been waiting for someone to ,you won the prize.

You hit the nail on the head, although all points are important ,the most important is your statement that hitler was in charge and or took charge. hitler lost that war ,and the german people followed him. I came to the conclusion years ago that really no one won the war....hitler lost it.

and the only reason  America would have survived was because of location and time to prepare.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #234 on: August 06, 2004, 06:22:22 PM »
American still got attack a fought battle on us soil in north america, Demaw.  We were vurnable.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2004, 08:36:12 PM »
let me rephrase bikekil. warsaw resistance fighters are dead and gone. the fact that they rose up is what matters. it does no good to be upset about it today. if you are upset in principle today then fight for today. be un politician or be soldier for poland or un and stop what happens today. you are wrong to call fighting men of france or uk or us cowards because poland fell. warriors are not usually in position to guide course of nations this can be very bad sometimes and very good other times. and i never meant you are asking for help and like i said before i have great respect for polish soldiers i have worked with them in afhganistan and in iraq. what i was saying is mistakes made in early second world war would be learned from if situation repeated today.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2004, 09:01:56 PM by anonymous »

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #236 on: August 07, 2004, 03:04:21 AM »
Angus let me try a different approach:

The Germans had the troops to take Stalingrad but what they didn’t have is troops to secure the flanks. This was the result of:

1. During the push to the City itself the Wehrmacht failed to ensure the Northern Flank by eliminating the large Soviet bridgeheads.  But more importantly this flank was defended by the weakest elements of Army Group South. These were the Italians, Hungarians and Romanians.

2. Hitler order Army Group South split in two dividing his forces sending Army Group A south and away from Army Group B. To the South of 6th army in Stalingrad was the second of the 2 Romanian armies.

Look at the map below:

Look to the North west of Stalingrad following the Don west you will see the Soviet bridgeheads on the South western bank of the Don.

South off Stalingrad locate the Kalmyk Steppe. Then locate the direction of the advance of Army Group A. They are sent south and away leaving a huge gap between Army group B and themselves and exposing Army Group B's southern flank again covered by the weak Romanians.

The Soviets could see this as obviously as we can. This how the Soviets attacked and were able to encircle 6th army.

6th was engaged in Street by street fighting in Stalingrad itself.

The reason I am walking through this is to then ask you how the 125 – 150k Germans lost in Tunisia would have made a difference.

Forget the Italians and Native troops. The Italians only had 2 armies it could field. One in the east and the other was in North Africa. The Italian troops in NA would have never been sent in to Stalingrad regardless of whether or not Operation Torch took place. They were needed contain Monty.

The answer is sending those 150k German troops to Stalingrad instead of Tunisia would have made no difference.

Victory in "Stalingrad" was untenable regardless of whether 6th army held the city itself. There were too many holes in the flanks due bad general'ing by Hitler. There was nothing to “win” at Stalingrad.

There's no reason to believe the 150k German NA troops would have been sent to Stalingrad anyway. Hitler sent Manstein's 5 divisions from the Crimea to Leningrad rather then reinforce Army Group South..

During this time Army Group Center (Operation Mars) was fighting for its life. It’s more plausible the North African troops would have been sent their. .

Army Group A was fighting to gain control of the oil fields etc...

So my point is with or without Torch 150000 troops would not have made any difference, Stalingrad was lost. Hitler screwed up and the Soviets took advantage.

The importance of Stalingrad to the Axis wasn’t that 6th army was lost. The Wehrmacht recovered. 6th army was Germany's biggest army, but only lost about 10% of its divisions at Stalingrad.

I hope I was able to better articulate my point in a way that can be understood better. I will refer to this website

http://users.pandora.be/stalingrad/

Offline bikekil

• Gold Member
« Reply #237 on: August 07, 2004, 03:50:38 AM »
Originally posted by anonymous
let me rephrase bikekil. warsaw resistance fighters are dead and gone. the fact that they rose up is what matters.

well... that's the whole point, those brave people are not dead and gone. They are living in Poland and in other countries, where they was forced to escape after the war, because Soviets were hunting them down and killing as a criminals (uprising was against Soviets). After long years of silence (caused by the fact we were pushed in Soviet hands so the rest of the world could enjoy it's freedom) ended lately and after long years then can be called a heroes and we can celebrate another anniversaries of the uprising.
As i said in a first post starting this thread - i don't care about the apology and i don't really need it. My good memory of what that Alliance meant for Poland is enought, but the soldiers from the uprising are still there, and maybe it'd be a nice thing for them to hear "sorry we failed you".
They really do realise that many voleunteres were flying and dying so they could get some supplies, but they also realise that others, left them there.

it does no good to be upset about it today. if you are upset in principle today then fight for today. be un politician or be soldier for poland or un and stop what happens today.

Good or not good, i am upset. You said 60 years passed... and as i see it's still not long enought. I still see a great Allies who helped Poland. When i about that help... i mean what they did to help, other then let Poles fight in their armies i see no replay, but the Allies were still the heroes of that war.

you are wrong to call fighting men of france or uk or us cowards because poland fell. warriors are not usually in position to guide course of nations this can be very bad sometimes and very good other times. and i never meant you are asking for help and like i said before i have great respect for polish soldiers i have worked with them in afhganistan and in iraq.

So you got me wrong also... i've also said it somewhere before in this thread, i never said the soldiers or ANY nation are cowards. That Applies to British, French, American, Canadian but also German or Russian and many others who fought in that war.
Every single one believed in something and had it's own opinion, but been forced or voleutered to fight. Excepr the murderers who were killing civilians (bit that's the war) they were all brave men.
Cowards are people who faild us as an Allies, that would be the goverments on France and GB. My judgement is poined on them and them only, not the people or soldiers of France or GB... just the guys who were in charge.. who folled us with the promises and then when the time comes, did nothing that was promised. My appologies toi anyone that got me wrond and felt offended.[/QUOTE]

what i was saying is mistakes made in early second world war would be learned from if situation repeated today.

But our Allies never said that they left us... so in their opinion then made no mistake... so the situation would be the same... we would been left alone again. That is why i say Poland need a good memory, not appologies.