Author Topic: OK! I was being a dweeb, I admit it...  (Read 491 times)

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
OK! I was being a dweeb, I admit it...
« on: March 14, 2000, 10:27:00 AM »
Here's the story.  Last night, we were attempting to take Field14 back from the enemy.  After taking a B26 from 10 and taking out the ACKS, I drop down to do some vulching with the B26's main guns.  On a pass, a respawner is able to pullup to take a snapshot and takes out both engines of my B26.  I figure I've got to ditch anyway, so I drop flaps and gear loop around and am able to line up on the respawn point and successfully land.  (I actually roll past the spawn point and have to do some hard ruddering/wheel braking to line up again.)  Now, I am being a SUPERDWEEB at this point, but I'm of the opinion that I have had this done to me umpteen times before, I will return the favor.  Several friendly fighters have started buzzing the field and start whining that I'm a dweeb.  I agree with them, but I figure I earned the dweebishness from my landing.  As I watch the friendlies buzzing around, I notice a friendly c205 rolling in next to me, but to my disfavor, he pulls in front of me, directly between me and the spawn point then stops.  He then states something like "Killshooter mean anything to ya...?"  Well, of course, from there the buffer conversation goes downhill.  Mostly just whining and squeaking from 3 individuals (me being one of them).  I am fully aware of my dweebishness, but I was just trying to hasten the capture of the base.  All the c205 accomplished was to possibly extend the amount of time it took to capture the base and to force tempers to flare.  Soon after that the base was captured without a shot fired, so the whole conversation/squeaking was  for nothing anyway.  

Actually, this whole post is really for nothing, I just wanted to admit being a dweeb.  

After sleeping on it, no hard feelings.  I just thought it was kind of a waste to have a perfectly good aircraft take itself out of a fight to stop someone from being a dweeb.

The SUPERDWEEB himself...
Aaron "Terror" Edwards

PS.  Names have been changed/excluded to protect the innocent.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2000, 10:32:00 AM »
(something about glass houses and throwing stones just came to mind, so I edited my reply out)

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-14-2000).]

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2000, 10:43:00 AM »
Well, I  was  giving CaveJ a bad time for  doing  the same thing awhile  back, then I  realize it's not your fault, as  long as the loop hole exists, people will expose it.  Hopefully, this loop will be closed soon.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2000, 11:07:00 AM »
Parking guns in front of the enemy spawn point is strictly poor form. Dweebis-Maximus!

However, I suspect most everyone trys it at some point.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 03-14-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2000, 11:24:00 AM »

Originally posted by Yeager:
Parking guns in front of the enemy spawn point is strictly poor form. Dweebis-Maximus!

However, I suspect most everyone trys it at some point.
B]

Please count me out of the suspects - then, now and forever.  Since my opinion on this would be perceived as a flame and possibly start a flamefest, I'll leave my opinion out.  {edited opinion used to be here}

Fury

[This message has been edited by Fury (edited 03-14-2000).]

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2000, 12:01:00 PM »
Strange how the story changes.  I guess the fact that there were only two people there to dispute you has no relevance.

A) If you're going to be a dweeb fine, learn to live with the consequences.

B) Usually, smoke precedes engines being taken out.  I was there.  You might want to modify the "No engines" part.  Oh.. wait.. weren't you saying you'd ran out of fuel before?

C) The pilot that landed and parked in front of you did not say anything until after we captured the base.  I was the one that said "ever hear of killshooter?"

D) Complaining that the pilot was taking himself out of a fight is like the monkey complaining that he got recaptured because the apple was too damn big.  The truth of the matter is the monkey just couldn't let go of the apple.

E) When your teamates are pointing out their displeasure with the situation, its a bad time to continue with the argument.  A simple "my bad" and ".ef" would have sufficed.

So, for those that were there, this apology carries little weight.  You still make it sound like it was everyone else that had the problem.  You also forget to mention that you still sat there for 10 minutes complaining while the fight moved elsewhere.

So, with that rebutle... my input into this subject is complete.

[This message has been edited by AKDejaVu (edited 03-14-2000).]

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
>A) If you're going to be a dweeb fine, learn to live with the consequences.

What consequences?  I never spoke of any consequences.  Someone wasting their time stopping me from being a dweeb is consequences?  ouch! What punishment.  Hell, he had just as bad a punishment as me.  Again..A waste.

>B) Usually, smoke precedes engines being taken out. I was there. You might want to modify the "No engines" part. Oh.. wait.. weren't you saying you'd ran out of fuel before?

Never once did I say I was out of fuel.  I had no engines.  They were shot and just stopped running.  Almost immediately after getting shot.  No smoke, no nuthin, just stopped and I could not restart.  If they would have restarted I would have moved around the plane that stopped in front of me.

>C) The pilot that landed and parked in front of you did not say anything until after we captured the base. I was the one that said "ever hear of killshooter?"

OK.  So I got the person that said that wrong.  I apologize to him for misquoting.  I just remember reading it and assumed it was the pilot that parked in front of me.

>D) Complaining that the pilot was taking himself out of a fight is like the monkey complaining that he got recaptured because the apple was too damn big. The truth of the matter is the monkey just couldn't let go of the apple.

Uhh.  Don't get you here.  I just thought it was a waste.  I thought I made a decent landing and worked to get my unpowered plane lined up.  He was probably more pissed cause he would not get to vulch due to my presence.

>E) When your teamates are pointing out their displeasure with the situation, its a bad time to continue with the argument. A simple "my bad" and ".ef" would have sufficed.

Why didn't he ".ef" when I pointed out my displeasure with his positioning?  He could have just let me be a dweeb and went somewhere else.  No?  It's just that it his/your opinion that this is wrong.  Well in my opinion it's not.  It's currently a tactic that defeats the "respawn respawn respawn" defense tactic.  So what, that it is a tactic that takes little to no skill and is considered dweebish.  Why should you get to force your opinion on everyone else?

>So, for those that were there, this apology carries little weight. You still make it sound like it was everyone else that had the problem. You also forget to mention that you still sat there for 10 minutes complaining while the fight moved elsewhere.

There was no apology.  Just an admission of being a dweeb, no sorrow or guilt.  And if I am ever in the same situation (ie. No power to keep up the vulch), I will probably do the exact same thing...(If I can pull of that lucky landing again.)  All I said was no hard feelings, we are still on the same team and as such still need to work as a team.

Oh well, since your "rebuttal" wasn't much of one, I'll sign off now.

Aaron "Terror" Edwards

BTW, This would be termed a "Spawn Camper" in the Quake Community and is considered "llama"  there too.   So I could be called a "llama-dweeb".

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2000, 03:37:00 PM »
.squelch

Ahhh that feels better.

Fury

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2000, 03:38:00 PM »
Just for the record I was the (lone) defender of that base. I had captured it myself by a cunning sneak attack and pure luck as I happend to be intercepted, but unloaded all the sheeps 500m from base and by some miracle noone stopped them.

I was told by my fellow countrymen that I was on my own defending it and this was fine by me. I took up from it and was able to climb to about 18K before I spotted 2 cons inbound (judging from sector radar I would say about 8 knights had mobilized for the recapture). It was a high fighter (I've forgot the type) and a lower B26. I dove to take out the b26 and I disabled its engines and it ditched. I engaged the fighter and by some luck I brought it down and just after that had a fight with a spit where I also shot him down, but he commented I should relog due to warp.
I agreed on this, but as I was just about to exit I saw a c47 closing in on field. I called out on: "Sorry relog gonna have to wait", and I took off just as he was dropping. I got only about 2 or 3 but it was enough. I was destroyed and relogged.
when I got back I looked out of tower window and saw a b26 (apparently the b26 from earlier, but I didn't know that at the time) and a c205 parked down at the respawn point. I didn't look closer at their heading but presumed that they both was waiting to shoot me when I took off. Both was parked some distance away actually, so I don't even think a bomb could have stopped them.

I therefore took off from 23 in a 190 but only made it about halfway until the base was captured. When I got there I saw the b26 still standing at the runway, and I tried to shoot it down, but I had completely forgot that ack would fire at me now. I barely avoided being toasted by it, but soon after was overwhelmed by a handful fighters.

I didn't say anything the whole time whatsoever about (what I thought was) the 2 planes guarding the respawn point, but obviously I don't like it. Not so drastic that I would block if some from my own side tried to do it, but I can't wait for vehicles to come out and this will not happen anymore.

------------------
Ltn. Snefens
RO, Lentolaivue 34
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2000, 05:48:00 AM »
Ahh... That kind of "bravery"... Looks nice in Scores....

I'm not gonna never do it that way. Still have a little self respect myself...