Author Topic: Autopilot fubared  (Read 445 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Autopilot fubared
« on: August 02, 2004, 08:12:50 PM »
Was in a Ju87 today, took off, entered a speed, (120) and hit auto climb. Well there was an orbiting n1k2 that came down, so I hopped into the rear gun and twisted my stick to turn the plane a bit. The entire Ju87 literally turned past 90 degrees and nosed over. I had to jump into the cockpit again to right it, but the dweeb hovering over the field in the n1k2 blew me out of the sky.

This never happened before patch 7. I could twist all I wanted and it would max out at about 45 degees (maybe 50?). Even in auto climb. This is just plain odd. Have not experimented much, but was in a typh a couple months back, took off, put in a speed (probably 140-160) and hit auto climb. While climbing I rolled 30 degrees and turned in a circle. I kept rolling to the point where I was afraid of inverting, so I turned off auto pilot. Mind you I was still climbing up at the right speed, but my roll was messed up as well.

Yes, HTC knows about the autopilot bugs, but the Ju87 example made me want to share the specifics, then it sparked the memory of the typh example. Perhaps this information can help in tracking down the problem (roll trim not functioning properly??)

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 07:57:15 AM »
You might know this already, but for some odd reason, you have to recalibrate your joystick in-game from time to time.  I had
the same problem.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 12:37:59 PM »
But WHILE autopilot is engaged, your stick is NOT controlling the direction it flies. So I don't think that would cause this problem.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 05:00:43 PM »
your right about the stick control while in auto pilot, but if your stick has slipped out of calibration a bit the "twist" might be enough to wiggle the stick and turn off the auto pilot.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 05:56:54 PM »
No, because in the Temp I checked and the light was still on, and in the Ju87 I was in the rear seat, twisting is only supposed to turn the plane (not disengage autopilot).

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 07:17:11 PM »
I understand what your saying , but every "twisty" stick I've ever come in contact with you can't twist for rudders WITHOUT moving the stick in the x and y axis's a little bit ( main reason I'll never buy one :) ). So if your calibration is off, or your dead bands too tight, that small movement may have been enough to knock it off auto-pilot.... you said you were trying to get a bead on a NIK at the time, it could just take a small spike.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 07:42:38 PM »
I know what you're saying, but I must point out:

1) The spikes are VERY minimal, and a slight adjustment of deadband eases them out.

2) If the twist made ANY spikes up down left or right, they would only have moved my turret aim, not affected the plane flight in any way.

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 06:35:37 AM »
Well, like I said..I had the same prob as you.  Plane would
vear right even when auto pilot was on.  I have a twist stick
and a quick recal solved the prob.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 08:49:42 AM »
Krusty: When in a gun position rudder is used to turn the plane.

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 02:03:59 PM »
Hitech, yes I know, but I was pointing out that it rolled my plane inverted and put me into an auto-pilot induced dive.

Ohio: I will try periodical recalibrations, see if that helps any

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 02:56:52 PM »
At 120 speed: I belive a full bank turn would induce a stall and posible snap roll.

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Autopilot fubared
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 03:05:35 PM »
Heh, never has before! :P

Been doing it for ages, in lancs, b17s, b26s, 110s, a few times in an SBD, done it in TBMs, A20s, and ju87s, and yes, in autoclimb at 120-ish speeds. Never had problems until recently. Go figure, eh?