Author Topic: "Unporkable CT maps?"  (Read 447 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« on: August 03, 2004, 10:14:21 AM »
Theory.

Since resets pork CT maps ....

... why not design the maps with the third country all bunched in a corner? 25 bases side by side way out away from the main battle area? And as a second measure, to assure neither of the remaining 2 sides are totally eliminated, we can put one base from each smack dab in the middle of the clump?

Wouldn't this:

1: Set up a small section on the map that is essentially unflyable/undriveable due to massive Framerate hits?

2: Set up an area that has tons of overlapping ack and aaa that doesn't creat a problem with ack and aaa being to tough on the rest of the map?

3: Even if someone tries to up from one of the active fields in the clump, they won't be able to get off the runway intact? Maybe even Tiger tanks won't get far?

The only possible problem I see is having one side or the other knocked down to just the field in the clump. Which really isn't anymore of a problem than we already have with map porking other than no reset involved.

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2004, 11:46:59 AM »
Not a bad theory. Usually CT maps are leftovers from the MA or a scenario, so it would take quite a bit of retrofitting if not specifically designed for CT-only from the outset. And then that map might not be good for anything else.

But I think this may be a case of over-engineering the solution to a misunderstood problem. What exactly happened the other night to pork the arena so badly? Anyone know?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2004, 12:32:35 PM »
On a side note about making a map unfit for MA. Wouldn't renaming the map actually make it a seperate map altogether and not render the original unfit?

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2004, 12:36:03 PM »
Originally posted by Dux
What exactly happened the other night to pork the arena so badly? Anyone know?

Assumption is that an unknown group or individual milked one of the sides to a reset which forced a side rotation which porks CT setups. It's not an unreasonable assumption since it's happened before and the net result is what was experienced yesterday.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2004, 12:39:31 PM »
Or Skuzzy could have reset for some reason, or somebody could have taken one of the third country bases down in the SW corner.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004, 12:43:37 PM »
Any time a new map is loaded into the arenas, or end-of-month stats reset occurs, the CT arena is reset, as in our case yesterday. :(
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2004, 02:41:54 PM »
Arlo: yes, renaming the map would make it a completely different map. I would never go messing with the original of a terrain.  :)

So whatever the cause was, the effect was that the arena as a whole reset, right? Fork (forgive my ignorance of setup), is there a "default" table that the map would revert to in that case, or does it revert to whatever the map was built as? If it is a default table, any way to lock or write-protect it?
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 03:28:39 PM »
I reset the arena yesterday and reloaded the tables that were in it, but did not know about the country settings.  Ooops.

The problem with the countries changing fields is corrected.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
"Unporkable CT maps?"
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 03:37:26 PM »
I don't think that would be a good idea, because whichever bozos are milking would milk all BUT that field, then peeps would join, be stuck in that horrible field, and leave in disgust. No, there must be another way.

I put a request in for a 2-sided map, a way of having a map where you are not FORCED to have 3 sides, to HTC a while back. Not sure how hard that is to code, nor am I sure if they'll ever do it, but it might ease the problem a little.

[EDIT] Is there a way to make a base "un capturable"? Meaning say you've got a map with 30 axis fields, right? Make the 2 rearmost fields "fallback" fields, that can never be captured, can never be porked... Or hell, maybe just make the rear most bases up the wazoo with flak so that NO enemy EVER will be able to take them. That way the one side being porked will ALWAYS have some place to launch from to re-take their fields.

I think that is a better idea than the original one (surrounding 1 with 3rd team bases)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 03:39:31 PM by Krusty »