Author Topic: very bad month for Warbirds....  (Read 330 times)

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
very bad month for Warbirds....
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2001, 02:56:00 PM »
Hazed,

The same day the Vampire crashed, a DH Venom had to make a wheels up landing at the same airshow making it a really jinxed airshow along with the loss of the P63.

Also, a few weeks before, a Spitfire XVI (?) made a wheels up landing too... the silver/red one from Duxford.

Regards

Nexx
NEXX

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2001, 03:08:00 PM »
thats spooky nexx.

Offline Goob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2001, 08:17:00 PM »
Here are some links to stories on BBC concerning the crashes. VIdeo of the Belcobra crash as well.

BBC Story/Video

BBC Story 2

Offline WolfSkin1

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.amigabeats.dk
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2001, 01:24:00 PM »
I vividly remember one day I was walking home from school. I was about 11 years old and all of a sudden I heard this wild, wild ROAR of engines. Overhead came two warbirds, at very low altitude. I remember them both to be Spitfires, I could be wrong.

Anyway, they were so low that I could see one pilot wave back at me while I was jumping, waving and screaming at them, it was truly an awesome sight (not awesome in the Californaian way, but truly awesome).

I ran home and told my grand parents. unfortonatley we never got to see them again, altough we were on the lookout.

I was struck with plane-o-mania from then on.

I totally agree that the remainder should be flown, though with great care (I can't imagine that theyre pushed to any limits at all). It will inspire more to get into aviation and the history behind too. The more people know of the war and get to think about it, the less they will be eligable to take part in another.

Later, my grandmother told me how it was when the British Lancasters came over to bomb Germany. It started at night by a low hum, which would grow into a regular noise which would last a very long time. then silence and a few hours later, the same vibrancy of the houndreds of engines over head. Off course there was no way of greeting the British pilots but the sound itself was a great boost of morale to our people (Danish).

<S> To all restoring warbirds and those building replicas!

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2001, 02:05:00 PM »
My father tells the story that one night a newly arrived American was entertaining in a theatre. There came the noise of bombers and the whole theatre went quiet apart - initially - from the entertainer. Most of the audience were from near a nearby airbase and were counting the bombers back.

This, he said, was a common occurrence.

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
a friend of mine saw footage of the bell cobra going down and hes a pilot.His comment which struck home was 'I watched his elevators as he went down and they were fully up.He was pulling on the stick trying to regain it all the way'

what a brave man he was to be trying to save it rather than throw his arms up in fear like im sure most would.If we stop flying these aircraft it would be an immense loss.The people who fly them and restore them are THE cream of the crop of pilots and engineers.I trust our history in their hands and i think THEY should be the ones to decide when its time to stop flying them.

they all have my utmost respect.