Author Topic: A question for real life pilots  (Read 392 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
A question for real life pilots
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
I have to add something.

It is not HT's fault that we have this trim disparity. Sticks in real airplanes do not move automatically to center (nothing I've met with a prop does). You move the stick and then move the trim until the pressure eases, or no more input is required. Some aircarft cannot be trimmed and require constant offset. That's hard to simulate, but I think both HT's method and MSFS's method are about equally wrong. In MSFS you recenter the stick and trim until you get the VSI reading you want (for instance). You know the drill here. Neither is the best answer, but how can you simulate this realistically? :confused:

Sorry, I don't have an answer. I think I would prefer the MSFS method, but I can live with what HT came up with. :rolleyes:

Too, this is the general case rather than an overall truth.  There really is no perfect solution. :(

You got one, Toad?  :cool:

Offline Thorns

• Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/computerpilot/
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2001, 10:11:00 PM »
Take a real airplane and push it to manuvering speed and pull it up into a whip stall with full power on, let it hang until a full stall, and WOW.....it flips on its back and starts spinning towards the earth, and will recover about the 2nd spin.
It can't be reproduced online with a computer.....Geesh, my head was spinning, and sweat got in my eyes........it was a gas!
Computers are great, they have saved my life!

Thorns

[ 06-11-2001: Message edited by: Thorns ]

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2001, 10:37:00 PM »
Well, I hope this helps. I am a professional pilot in RL with something over 20,000 hours and I find the flight modelling in AH to be very very good.
I have not flown any warbirds in my career but I have flown a lot of high performance equipment. All wing will always stall at the same angle of attack (not at the same indicated airspeed). A wing that stalls at 100mph at zero G loading might stall at 300mph indicated airspeed at 6 G's. The G loading affects the boundary layer air control of the wing. And a stall that is induced at high indicated airspeeds due to excess G loading will often prove to be far more violent in result, than an unaccelerated stall.
The comments on loops are interesting. Any aircraft can be looped provided entry speed allows the aircraft to complete the top of the loop with sufficient speed to avoid a stall. A loop is not a violent high G-load manoever.
I might only suggest that air combat manoevers be learned avoiding violent control inputs that induce high G load stalls. One can fly any of the AH aircraft very close to the stall without losing control.
Good Hunting <S>
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.