Author Topic: Panzerkampfwagen IV  (Read 219 times)

Offline Beaz

• Zinc Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« on: March 15, 2000, 02:28:00 AM »
Panzerkampfwagen IV

Introduction

Colonel-General Heinz Guderian is generally considered by most to be the architect of the modern day German Panzertruppen. The Panzer IV, could be said to be Heinz Guderian's "brain child" of the mid 1930's for it incorporated and balanced fairly well the three main qualities needed for a tank to be successful on a modern 1930's/40's battlefield. Defined as mobility, protection and firepower, Guderian had laid down these three basic qualities as early as 1933. However, Guderian added a fourth component which a lot of other armed services simply dismissed at the time, that of communications. Radio communications was essential for fluid armoured fighting vehicle operations. A five-man crew was also considered optimum. A three-man turret crew allowed the commander to actually command the vehicle, the gunner to concentrate on destroying targets directed to by his commander and the loader to increase the rate of fire of the main weapon. The driver was allowed to do what he was obviously good at, and the radio operator relayed messages and manned the bow machine gun. The crew acted as one and this is what gave the German Panzertruppe the edge over their Allied counterparts and allowed the early successes in Poland, France, the Balkans, Russia and North Africa to be achieved. The Panzer IV certainly wasn't the best AFV to see service in its class during WWII, the Russian made T-34 would enjoy that accolade, but in the hands of an experienced crew it was certainly a deadly weapon, one which Allied crews learned to ignore at their peril. The Panzer IV was to become the most numerous of German World War II tanks. In all some 8500+ examples of all variants were produced.

The Panzer IV was borne from a requirement arising in 1934/35 which was instigated by the Heereswaffenamt. Guderian, of course, had a heavy input in the specification. It called for the design of a medium support tank for Panzer III units and infantry, to have an overall weight of some 18 tons, a top speed of 35km/h and a 75mm KwK 37 L/24 gun as main armament.

The companies involved in the initial design were Krupp, Rheinmetall-Borsig and Maschinenfabrik-Augsburg-Neurnberg AG, hereto and forever more known as MAN. Krupp concentrated mostly on turret development and MAN on the running gear and suspension but all three company's produced prototypes which, when tested under various conditions at Kummersdorf and Ulm in 1935/36, exhibited varying but similar qualities and characteristics. After much deliberation Krupp's design was selected for full-scale production.

Sd. Kfz. 161 - Ausf. A-F Development & Production

After receiving an initial contract in 1936, Krupp then set about improving the design of the PzKpfw IV by incorporating the best features then found in existing tank designs throughout the world. Therefore, it wasn't until October of 1937, after extensive testing of various prototypes that the very first PzKpfw IV Ausf A rolled off of Krupp's production line at Gruson. 35 were eventually produced in this initial production run, 5 were used for further testing by Krupp while the other 30 were issued to combat units.

Between April and September of 1938 Krupp produced no fewer than 42 PzKpfw IV Ausf B's at its Gruson plant. The only real difference of any significance between the Ausf B and the previous example was the installation of a slightly different, but same horse power, Maybach HL 120 TR, 12 cylinder engine.

Further developments resulted in 134 PzKpfw IV Ausf C's built between October 1938 and August 1939 along with 229 of the PzKpfw IV Ausf D variant being manufactured between October 1939 and May of 1941. The Pzkpfw IV Ausf D was considered to be the first 'true' production model of the Panzer IV series, the Ausf A/B & C variants were considered as development models, most of which, nonetheless ended up with front line combat units. They were to see extensive use, albeit in limited numbers, during the Polish campaign of 1939. The Ausf D was available in limited numbers for the French campaign during the summer of 1940.

Overlapping the production of the Pzkpfw IV Ausf D was the production of the Ausf E variant of which some 233 models were produced between September 1940 and April 1941. 487 examples were produced of the Ausf F1 (F) version between April 1941 and March 1942. The Ausf F1 variant was the last version of the Panzer IV series to use the 'short' chassis and to be armed with the short stubby 75mm KwK 37 L/24  cannon.

Sd. Kfz. 161/1 - Ausf. F2-G Development & Production

From March of 1942 onwards 200 of the next variant, Ausf F2 or "Mark IV Special", as the British called them in North Africa were produced along with 1275 Ausf G's. The Ausf F2 and G were superior to any British or American tank design at the time and were generally treated with a great deal of respect on the battlefield. The Ausf F2 was an identical tank to the Ausf F1(F) in every conceivable way except for the main armament. All later variants, Ausf F2 onwards, were based on the 'longer' version PzKpfw IV chassis and were armed with a newer gun. This was to be either a 75mm KwK 40 L/43 or an 75mm KwK 40 L/48. The Panzer IV in this configuration, was for the first time, able to compete with the Soviet made T-34 armed with a 76.2mm cannon on a somewhat equal footing, although 'other' tanks were developed to deal with the T-34 'menace' more effectively, namely the Panther.

Sd. Kfz. 161/2 - Ausf. G-J Development & Production

From March of 1943 onwards an additional 412 PzKpfw IV Ausf G's were produced. These were fitted with the much newer and improved 75mm KwK 40 L/48 gun and re-designated as Sd. Kfz. 161/2's. Some late model Ausf G's were then fitted with steel armour skirts or 'Shurzen' which made them look very much like Ausf H variants.

In April of 1943, the PxKpfw IV Ausf H was introduced. No fewer than 3774 examples were produced between April of 1943 and July of 1944. This became the largest set of production figures for any Panzer IV variant. It was armed exclusively with the 75mm KwK 40 L/48 cannon and were fitted with steel armour skirts or 'Schurzen' for added protection against hollow charged projectiles. A large proportion of these vehicles were to see action during the allied invasion of Normandy and subsequent defence of Germany.

Panzer IV Ausf H Specification

Type: Medium Tank
Other Designations: PzKpfw IV Ausf H, Sd. Kfz. 161/2
Originating Nation: Germany
Manufacturers: Krupp

TOTAL CREW      5
TURRET CREW      3
WEIGHT         25000 kg
GROUND PRESSURE      0.89 kg/cm2

OVERALL LENGTH      7.02 m
OVERALL WIDTH      2.88 m
OVERALL HEIGHT      2.68 m

GROUND CLEARANCE   0.40 m
VERTICAL OBSTACLE   0.60 m
FORDING DEPTH      1.20 m
TRENCH CROSSING      2.30 m
TURNING RADIUS      5.92 m
MAX CLIMB GRADIENT   30 deg

GASOLINE CAPACITY   470 litres (3 tanks)
ROAD SPEED      38 km/h
ROAD RANGE      188 km
CROSS COUNTRY SPEED   8 km/h
CROSS COUNTRY RANGE   134 km
REVERSE SPEED      4 km/h

ENGINE: Maybach HL 120 TRM / 12-cylinder / 300hp

ARMAMENT         MOUNTED on/at   TRAVERSE   ELEVATION   AMMUNITION
7.5cm KwK 37 L/24   turret      360 deg @   -8 to 20 deg   52 Ap + 35 He
               10 deg/sec

1 x 7.92 mm MG 34 and 1 x 7.92  mm MG 42, one mounted coaxial with the main gun, the other hull mounted. Total ammunition for both machine guns totalled 2700 rounds.

ARMOUR mm/angle)

FRONT      SIDES      REAR      TOP / BOTTOM
Hull:      80@14 deg   30@0 deg   20@8 deg   10@90 deg
Superstructure:   80@10 deg   30@0 deg   20@11 deg   12@85-90 deg
Turret:      50@10 deg   30@26 deg   30@15 deg   15@84-90 deg
Gun Mantlet:   50@0-30 deg

From June 1944 until the end of hostilities in Europe, 1758 PzKpfw IV Ausf J's were produced by Nibelungenwerke. This variant was similar to Ausf H but was simplified to aid production, the one main difference being that the turret was traversed manually by hand whereas in all earlier versions it had been driven by an electric motor. This was seen as a retrograde but understandable step given the shortages experienced by the German armaments industry at that late stage of the war.

Regards

Daren

------------------
Beaz aka ==bz==
249 Squadron RAF "Gold Coast"

"With Fists and Heels"
Part of the Tangmere Wing

Hans

Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2000, 04:07:00 AM »
What I am curious about is....

• Will the tank bounce as it moves cross country?  It should.
  • Will the road wheels undulate as it moves across terrain?
  • Why isn't the Panzer painted grey?  (minor quible, but I like them grey)
  • Will the tank's gunsight be fancy or simple?
  • Will the schurtzen skirt armor acutally protect the tank from shaped charge warheads (like the Typhoon's rockets).
  • Will the Typhoon's rocket graphics be used to replace the generic "Red rockets" seen up till now?

Guess I will have to wait till V1.02 comes out to find out.

Hans.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2000, 05:10:00 AM »
Will the Typhoon have AP and/or HE rocket projectiles?  

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2000, 05:19:00 AM »
Beaz,,

When ya post something like that,, you should mention where ya got it....(source credits)  

and obviously,, you seem more tuned to tanks than flying...  

Cool post..

------------------
GreyBeard
Flight Commander, Aces High
"Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]

Offline Beaz

• Zinc Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2000, 06:26:00 AM »
Greybeard... the material comes from at least 6 historical sources but the piece was written by myself. The specification is gleened from several sources and 'other' historical information although you will have to tab out the armor values as the UBB seems to take all that sort of info out when you post. It is not cribbed from anywhere. It is my own work.

And no I'm more skilled at flying aircraft than I am at driving tanks around. I am after all a Warbirds trainer. Its just that I live only 45 minutes away from the Worlds largest tank repository of data and historical information on armoured fighting vehicles  

Regards

Daren

------------------
Beaz aka ==bz==

"With Fists and Heels"

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2000, 11:15:00 AM »
LOL  

All I want to know is what it takes to kill one?

100, 250 or 500lbm bombs?  Rockets how many?  20mm 37mm?

HeHe!  

------------------
Mino
The Wrecking Crew

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2000, 11:54:00 AM »
Yes.  

Will it burn or just 'pop' ???

-Westy

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2000, 04:46:00 PM »
Can I have these two ?  Please...    

[This message has been edited by Staga (edited 03-15-2000).]

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2000, 04:55:00 PM »
Maybe you could paint my p-38 like this ?

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2000, 05:06:00 PM »
Yep... We use swastika from 1918...

What I really would like to see is this symbol of Swedish Count Von Rosen painted on Finnish Air Force's F-18c's wings...

Feels bad that some Corporal took it, painted it black and covers Europe with blood...    

Plane is replica of FAF:s first Morane-Thulin Parasol aeroplane. A Gift from Count...    
uh... Forget the pic.... here !

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2000, 11:39:00 PM »
Thanks for kool pics...I have one picture of a Spit V(?) reengined with a db605. I would love other pics of this if some one had them... I would not have thought Gigant could carry a marder..(10 tones or so)

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline NATEDOG

• Silver Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2000, 10:13:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Beaz! nice to hear from you!

------------------
Nathan "NATEDOG" Mathieu
Art Director
HiTech Creations
-=HELLFIRE SQUAD=-

Offline Beaz

• Zinc Member
Panzerkampfwagen IV
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2000, 12:34:00 PM »
No problem Natedog. Have you talked Pyro and HT into letting you have a Hurricane yet   <grin>

You want any more info on any other AFV's that you want to model in the future just give us a yell  

Oh... Ramjet checked out AH last week but he still doesn't like the gunnery   I'll check it out when the next version comes out.

Regards

Daren

------------------
Beaz aka ==bz==

"With Fists and Heels"