Author Topic: P-38 vs. Spitfire  (Read 3849 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2004, 11:50:08 AM »
I've done some stall fighting in a Spit 9 against a P-38.  With some manuevers, the P-38 has the edge (for example looping like that)... with some others the Spitfire has the edge.  

Easiest way for the Spitfire to win is to go vertical, period.  The Spit 9 can climb, and be steady, at 70-80 mph.  It is tough to get behind a plane doing 70-80 mph.  Every time the P-38 looked like he was going to get a shot on me, I'd break into him and climb, and start scissoring (like a flat scissors, except I kept climbing steeper than he could) if he tried to follow me.  If he didn't, I'd just continue my turn and come down behind him.

The P-38 actually comes pretty close to being as good as a Spit 9 in a stall fight, but it isn't as good by any means.  Plus one other gigantic disadvantage is the P-38s size, it is considerably easier to hit a P-38 with a snapshot than a Spitfire.

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2004, 12:13:41 PM »
Originally posted by senna
And I'll add something that most who play ah for a while would know. If your in a stall fight and your in front and you go up, chances are the guy chasing with shoot you.

:lol

Thats 100% true...

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2004, 03:29:36 PM »
I have seen ack-ack do some moves when slower than 200. Pull a loop and end up on a bogies tail. Hes even done it to me. Its a nice move but I dont know how  to pull it.

Offline LSJ

• Zinc Member
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2004, 09:42:26 PM »
I was interested to note that you use flaps when going vertical to begin the loop AKAK. I always found i could get more vert out of the 38 by always having them up when climbing, then dropping to 3/4 at the peak of the loop. My throttle managment seems to be pretty well the same however.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
P-38 vs. Spitfire
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2004, 12:24:08 AM »
Originally posted by LSJ
I was interested to note that you use flaps when going vertical to begin the loop AKAK. I always found i could get more vert out of the 38 by always having them up when climbing, then dropping to 3/4 at the peak of the loop. My throttle managment seems to be pretty well the same however.

Look at the speed that I'm at when I start my loop.  I am at stall speed or very close to it and I use the flaps to bring my nose over the top of the loop.  I only do this when I'm doing stall loops.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song