Author Topic: anyone have good P-51 template?  (Read 607 times)

Offline coyo

• Zinc Member
anyone have good P-51 template?
« on: August 10, 2004, 10:58:04 AM »
looking for a Photoshop file with just natural metal p-51D (or B), no markings, squad colors.

OR any tips on recreating the panel lines / metal skin textures  in photoshop?

I tried and got worn out... LOL

Offline AaronM2

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2004, 03:22:27 PM »
i have one that cobra412 made and he sent to me but for some reson it has pink on it on a small place but ill send it to u if ud like whats your email address o yea ita a 51d

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 08:15:37 PM »
lol Aaron. Those "pink" areas are alpha masks.  Basically I chose a color that wouldn't be used in the skin and made it so it is completely transparent when the file is used in AH.  This way I don't have to goof around with areas that I don't plan on adjusting.

When I do want to adjust them I can do minor adjustments without having to align rivet and panel lines for a particular area.  There are 2 areas where you have to actually align panel lines and rivet lines.  

On the right side of the tail your image will get mirrored backwards.  So to do a cover up HT has placed another section that you can paint so that the reversed information is basically painted over to an extent.  It's actually only a mask that your placing over the top.  So what happens is if your paint or numbers on the left side extend to far forward or aft and even up in some areas they will partially show even if you have placed the mask over the top.  If your doing a plan jane tail with no numbers or markings then you just fill in that area with an alpha channel color of your choice.  

This is the same for the forward fuselage lettering underneath the exhaust stacks.  When your painting it on it looks like it's going to get painted on the left side of the fuselage.  Well it gets painted there but it if you do your name the normal way it will be wrong.  Reason I say this is because what your seeing is actually gonna be placed on the right hand side of the fuselage.  So for the main forward fuselage you have to do your name and then flip it horizontally so it will read correctly on the right side of the fuselage.  

Then at the upper left hand area of your .bmp file you'll see an area where there is a small portion of the forward fuselage area for the name.  This actually gets placed on the left side of the fuselage.  You don't need to flip your text on this particular area.  What you do need to do is find the correct area inwhich your name will be displayed.  That whole panel isn't actually placed on the skin.  Only a small part of it.  If you look very close you can see a small outline in some folks name on the left side.  Unfortunately mine has it too but I'm working on how to get rid of it.

Coyo if you'd like the template I have I can send it.  It's not the greatest by any means but you can adjust it to make it suit your needs.  It was my first try at skinning ever so it's still fairly weak.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 08:18:45 PM »
Oh and Coyo as far as making panel lines and rivet lines.  I'd just suggest you trace over HTs lines.  Reason I say this is I've tried to make a completely new panel line set from a scaled line drawing of the Pony and the lines don't match up that well.  If you use HTs you'll have them lined up properly.  As far as rivet lines go just use your pencil tool.  Then go to your brushes tab and space out your rivets under there.  I usually use about a 3 pixel rivet.  with some glow and drop shadow effects.