Author Topic: ENY disablements  (Read 10219 times)

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2004, 03:51:55 PM »
perking the top rides over numbers will only work if you reset everbodys perks

:)
known as Arctic in the main

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
ENY disablements
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2004, 03:59:16 PM »
Dok...

Unfortunately, HT is convinced that altering the perk system is fruitless (at least that it has been thus far). Something I was thinking of that might address a few of the concerns I have seen expressed would be to tie the current balancer to the number of fields each country has.

Hyrax81st...

Sorry that you seem so ego challenged that you can't accept critisim unless it is couched in friendly terms. The clue is there for anyone prepared to dismount their vitural high horse :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2004, 04:00:15 PM »
Originally posted by simshell

OK... let's give everybody in the arena (any newly starting player and current) 100 perks to start.

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
ENY disablements
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2004, 04:00:43 PM »

FWIW, I think perks should be like vacation days. You can carry a certain number from campaign to campaign but the rest you lose.

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Hyrax81st...

Sorry that you seem so ego challenged that you can't accept critisim unless it is couched in friendly terms. The clue is there for anyone prepared to dismount their vitural high horse :).

OOPS !

You still failed the "content" test and resorted to slamming right out of the gate.

Please play again...

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2004, 04:07:59 PM »
Dok...

Unfortunately, HT is convinced that altering the perk system is fruitless (at least that it has been thus far). Something I was thinking of that might address a few of the concerns I have seen expressed would be to tie the current balancer to the number of fields each country has.

Hey NB ... good to see another old fart on here.

I don't know HT's politics on these things, we haven't spoken about this stuff. Any time I see people talking about "strike" I'm reminded of the old AW boycots.

Just seemed like it was time to get people talking about solutions instead of calling each other "princess."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: heh
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2004, 04:42:34 PM »
Originally posted by dragoon

would love to see it changed back or something else fingered out.

Hehehe ...

Ahem ... but .... actually .... I've not seen you post ANYTHING akin to what Karnak just posted .... even remotely.

You and several players seem to be suffering some sort of shock over something that doesn't have quite the drastic effect you perceive. Something that worked amazingly well and accomplished what it was designed to from the first day it was implemented. Consider this:

1: As many others have stated. You can fly whatever you want, you just have to be willing to do it from the underdog's side.

2: The % of imbalance has already dropped by a huge margin.

3: HT/Pyro stated in the patch details that the setting is adjustable and will be adjusted to suit the needs of the community. OFF and ON aren't the only two options here.

4: It's NOT the only time a mmog has imposed restrictions on the "better" equipment. It probably should have been a part of the game from the beginning. Then it's intrinsic value would have overshadowed it's current shock value and nobody would have even considered it a liability.

5: Squads don't HAVE to be all dedicated to flying the La-7, 24/7 or take their ball and leave. I don't think all that many are. I do think the few that are are screaming the loudest, though.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2004, 04:44:12 PM »

If you think the signal to noise ratio is bad now ......

:D

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2004, 06:19:53 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
Hey NB ... good to see another old fart on here.

I don't know HT's politics on these things, we haven't spoken about this stuff. Any time I see people talking about "strike" I'm reminded of the old AW boycots.

Just seemed like it was time to get people talking about solutions instead of calling each other "princess."

Backatcha Dok :). Saw your new site. Hope the new scenerio works out....looks like fun.

I did talk to HT this afternoon and he is currently reserving judgement on how well the balancing code works until after the weekend. Thus far, he seems satisfied that it is doing what he intended. I did run my idea of tying it to the number of fields each country has as a way of placating the folks worried about one country being ganged by the other two. While he wasn't excited by the idea, he was willing to take it under advisement. I would hope that most of the folks complaining here can be sensible enough to give it a week or two and see what happens.

Hyrax81st...

Nevermind...you have obviously made your choice :).

BTW...HT did say that he was thinking that he might need to raise the 'threshold' on the balancing code. That would mean the odds would have to be higher for it to kick in.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 06:22:01 PM by NoBaddy »
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2004, 07:23:27 PM »
BTW...HT did say that he was thinking that he might need to raise the 'threshold' on the balancing code. That would mean the odds would have to be higher for it to kick in.

Cool.

Having the odds shift to and fro is part of the game and always has been, it would kind of suck to see that go away. But there does come a point when one side has just so many players that it ruins it for everyone else. If the new threshold prevents that kind of dynamic, then great. But if you're going to attack that, you also need to do be careful that it doesn't induce Truce Warrior to happen more than it already does.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2004, 07:39:51 PM »
Originally posted by DoKGonZo
Cool.

Having the odds shift to and fro is part of the game and always has been, it would kind of suck to see that go away. But there does come a point when one side has just so many players that it ruins it for everyone else. If the new threshold prevents that kind of dynamic, then great. But if you're going to attack that, you also need to do be careful that it doesn't induce Truce Warrior to happen more than it already does.

Agreed. From talking to him about it, it isn't HT's intent to prevent resets or force even odds all the time. He has, obviously, seen evidence of a serious arena odds imbalance in the past that has not balanced out and chose to try and do something to adress the issue. Frankly, I do find it strange that the odds didn't balance themselves, in the years that I have been playing this kind of game, they always did...eventually. The more I think about it, the more I think the 'reward' for a reset can be partially blamed for this. Without the perk bonus, many folks might have been more interested in the fight...instead of the reset.
NoBaddy (NB)

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2004, 07:46:01 PM »
Originally posted by 4510
Curly,

First where are the squads that changed and rescued the Rooks?  If they were the squads of character you mention, why don't they just move back?  Leopards changed their spots?

Dunno.  The AKs switched to Rooks for a week or two until it became evident the numbers problem had been solved.

Second why doesn't the 3 country model work to offset overwhelming numbers?  I'm not talking about Sunday evening.  Can't turn the arena on its ear because of one large singular event.  On the other evenings and times do the Rooks significantly outnumber the COMBINED strength of the Bish and Knits?  I flew all last week, every night, 4-6 hours each night, and I don't recall seeing the Rooks with such an advantage.  Perhaps more flyers than the Bish... or the Knits... when compared country to country but if the Bish and Knits numbers were combined not even close

Dunno about the 3 vs 2 vs 4 country model.  It's a HTC decision and they've made it clear they aren't changing.  

Didn't notice your country of origin.  If you fly prime time USA, then the rooks had numbers every night prior to the latest patch.  

The whole reason you have 3 countries is for play balance issues.  So are we saying that this model (which worked in another online flight sim that preceeded AH) suddenly no longer works?  Or is the real issue that the smaller two countries don't like the idea that 1 v 1 they don't generate the same numbers as the Rooks?  That they don't want to have to adjust their effort to fight primarily Rooks?

If we have to start forcing even numbers distribution then we don't need three countries.  Need only two and a forced numbers distribution to keep the sides even.  If we want to emphasis equal distribution of numbers with constant leveling (and how do you do that with the current requirement to stay in a country for 12 hours) then we need to do away with the 12 hour requirement, with country based land grab and arena resets.  They no longer matter because having equal sides is the priority and building of numbers to grab land to accomplish a reset is now not only frowned upon, but is legislated against.

We are talking changing the major fabric of AH's design.  Oh it isn't quite there yet because everyone can argue that these measures aren't that bad.  But what happens if they don't work?  What is next?

I think this whole idea is ill conceived and poorly executed.

Dunno about any of the above.  I'm just concerned with approximately even numbers.  So far, the latest patch is working fine.

curly

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2004, 07:48:57 PM »
Originally posted by gofaster
If I recall, the same situation existed in Bishopland when Rooks were the whipping boys.  I seem to recall an AK came on this message board and suggested some squads switch to Rooks to balance things out.  What country have you been flying for since 2001? ;)

I don't understand.  I suggested some squads switch to rook.  They did.  The AKs did.  When the numbers evened out (approximately), we switched back to Bishop.  

curly

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2004, 07:54:07 PM »
it seems to be working great right now

cant wait till sunday night:D
known as Arctic in the main

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
ENY disablements
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2004, 12:06:35 AM »
Originally posted by Hyrax81st
Maybe...

I do use a shallower approach when using rockets. I prefer greater dive angle with bombs to insure accuracy. What is your angle and top speed (in the Mossy) when you decend from 10K ?

Typically less then a 45 degree angle.
Honestly Couldnt tell ya my speed. Damn brits forgot to havbe those screwey  speedo's. LOL
Really I do it more by feel.
Just a hair before compression When the plane starts shaking I reduce throttle till it stops then throttle up again just before I drop and hit full wep as soon as I drop and am going level.

You can bomb fairly accurately in a shallow dive though.
Just like with the steeper dives it takes a bit of practice to get it down. but once you do it becomes second nature.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty