Author Topic: Can't shoot worth poop!!  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
Can't shoot worth poop!!
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 05:22:46 AM »
I found shooting easier when flying with combat trim.

Its easier when you are on the dead six of your enemy or get him real slow and have the whole plane from upside or downside to shoot at.

Dont worry about leviathan. I usually use 100 canon rounds per plane to shoot down, glad if i can land 2 victories anyway.

Bombers take a lot of beating, since you mention drones. Most important on bombers is that you pulverize one part.
It is easy possible to put all you amo into a bomber and its still flying, when you distribute it equally. Key is to hit one part only.

ciao schutt

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
Can't shoot worth poop!!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 07:30:55 AM »
Originally posted by LtPillur
THANK YOU ALL! :. I've also fallen in like with the yak. But it runs out of ammo in about 10 seconds and Then I'm truly dead. I will try the P-51. I could use the extra thousand rounds of ammo. :)
Peace
Pillur

Until you get better at hit percentage, I think ppl suggest flying the NIKI..alot of ammo, and an all around decent plane.
Also, If stick scaling doesnt seem to help, you may want to
get a new joystick.  That was another prob i had.   I could
tell the "dead band" was very wide on my old stick (the center
area of my stick would jiggle very easily..hard to explain.. but
was not a tight fit on center, and the slightest touch to
the stick would cause my plane to shimmy sideways and up
and down.  Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 07:36:38 AM by Ohio330 »

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
Can't shoot worth poop!!
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2004, 08:28:17 AM »
I think about the best thing to do is probably the most frustrating thing to do.....

Use one of the "Aces" stick setting and then learn to fly like that.

AK-AK has his stick setting file posted on these boards as do a number of others. DL and set up one of them ( do a search for stick settings) I used Akak's because I was trying to learn the P38 and thats all akak flys. My stick settings were MORE aggressive than akak's and I thought I'd never get used to his. But what it did was ease the fine tuning manuvers to get a good shot.

The tuff part is not to mess with the setting once you put them in! It's much like turning off the tracers. It WILL take a while to get use to it, but once you do you'll see why the "Ace's" stick settings are like that.

SO you don't want your stick so sensitive that it "wiggles" when you look at, nor do you want it so "soft" that you can't keep up with an enemies manuvers. Use a setting thats already tried and true.

....as for shooting buffs, just clip their wing tips off!  With the right settings, and some practice, its a piece of cake to make a 400 knot pass and hit  the wing tips.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Can't shoot worth poop!!
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2004, 05:51:32 PM »
A basic sight in on the plane you want to fly is a good idea. Just like with a new pistol or rifle, the first thing you do is go to the range and check your sights against a target, not go out in the woods and go hunting.

In AHII you do that with the .target command. It creates a target at various ranges for you to practice shooting at. The format is .target xxx , where the xxx is the range you want to shoot at. For example a target at 500 would be .target 500. The target is always due North. Don't forget the space between target and the xxx.

You can shoot until the target fills up with holes at which point it will refresh itself, or you can use .target 0 to get rid of it, then .target 750 to put up a fresh target.

The target is useful:

1) For setting convergences.

2) For checking where you print between cannons and machine guns.

3) and my secret of the day, where your weapons hit at different altitudes. It is little discussed, but your weapons have different range and drop depending on the altitude you are at. AH models air density. The air at Sea Level is thick, therefore your total range is shorter, and the rounds drop quicker. At 30K the air is very thin, your total effective range is much farther and your rounds fire much flatter. To really see this take up a 109 with the 30 mm spud cannon. At sea level the rounds drop out on the ground in front of you . (OK, an exaggeration). At 30K the spud gun has an effective range of 1K+ if you practice. However this works two ways, a B-17 tailgunner's 50 cals have a tremendous effective range at 30K too, close to 2K. (if they know it).

I discovered the altitude difference after chasing a P-51 at 19k. He was flying perfectly level trying to out run my D-9. Range 700. I had practiced a ton at 1K altitude on the target and knew exactly where to set my sights to hit with my machine guns at 700. I blasted away, missing with every shot.

So I logged off to offline mode, flew up to 19K, set the target to 700 and blasted away using the "correct" elevation adjustment. I discovered that I was shooting WAY over the target center. My rounds were flying much flatter at 19K, therefore needed less elevation adjustment.

Be sure to get rid of it before you log in the main, or you will find a target floating around due North of you.

Offline bcee

• Copper Member
Can't shoot worth poop!!
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2004, 04:58:27 AM »
good info Mosq...Ive seen those targets while digging around but never knew how to activate them....thankx