Author Topic: $155 plus labor my ***  (Read 1184 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 02:42:47 AM »
There is nothing on God's green earth that can not be fixed with bailing wire and duct tape.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 03:06:11 AM »
Originally posted by rpm371
There is nothing on God's green earth that can not be fixed with bailing wire and duct tape.

and that includes a date :D

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 08:34:50 AM »
RPM,
How many people does Johnson Controls employ in the US?  Are they a US company?  One that has paid dividends every year since 1887.

A company that has gone out of its way to conduct business with minority and woman owned firms.  And was named Coporation of the Year in 2003 by National Minority Supplier Development Council.  You know, good DNC values.

A company that is HQ'd in Milwaukee.

Looks different when you take off those one dimensional blinders.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 08:36:17 AM »
Originally posted by rpm371

Good god man are you an aprentice or something?????

You forgot the bubble gum

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2004, 10:35:53 AM »
About the only way a drier can catch fire is if it is filled with lint which somehow comes in contact with the heating element. Very unlikely.

I would have to disagree with the "very unlikely" as during my days as a volunteer firefighter, I went out on a fair number of dryer fire calls, and almost all were due to the lint catching on fire.  Most every case, the lint burned off, caused a little smoke and stink, and the fire was out before we got there.

On one memorable dryer call thought, the dryer was smoking and emitting a nasty smell.  Since it was in a very nice house, next to the garage door, we just unplugged it, carried it outside and onto the driveway.  As smoke was still coming out of it, we took the back off of it, discovered it full of cat food that some mouse had been stockpiling.  Once the pile got high enough, it came into contact with a hot surface, and started smoldering.  

I thought that was humourosly ironic, the cat had not only failed to get the mouse, the mouse was stealing the cats food.  Worthy of a good cartoon.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2004, 10:47:22 AM »
Dago was a fireman? Wow! :eek::cool:

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2004, 11:21:12 AM »
Originally posted by Dago
I would have to disagree with the "very unlikely" as during my days as a volunteer firefighter, I went out on a fair number of dryer fire calls, and almost all were due to the lint catching on fire.  Most every case, the lint burned off, caused a little smoke and stink, and the fire was out before we got there.

On one memorable dryer call thought, the dryer was smoking and emitting a nasty smell.  Since it was in a very nice house, next to the garage door, we just unplugged it, carried it outside and onto the driveway.  As smoke was still coming out of it, we took the back off of it, discovered it full of cat food that some mouse had been stockpiling.  Once the pile got high enough, it came into contact with a hot surface, and started smoldering.  

I thought that was humourosly ironic, the cat had not only failed to get the mouse, the mouse was stealing the cats food.  Worthy of a good cartoon.

dago

lol :D

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2004, 11:43:21 AM »
Originally posted by Stringer
RPM,
How many people does Johnson Controls employ in the US?  Are they a US company?  One that has paid dividends every year since 1887.

A company that has gone out of its way to conduct business with minority and woman owned firms.  And was named Coporation of the Year in 2003 by National Minority Supplier Development Council.  You know, good DNC values.

A company that is HQ'd in Milwaukee.

I'll play along Stringer. This should really set you off (you can thank me later).

I seem to recall Johnson Controls being featured in Michael Moore's film "The Big One". They were closing a factory in Milwaukee and moving it to Mexico where labor was 80 cents per hour. The firing of the Americans saved Johnson so much money the stock went up, the CEO got a big bonus and 800 Americans lost their job. You know, good RNC values.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2004, 01:07:50 PM »
So basically, you're happy that you cheated a US repair technician out of a chance to earn his wage.

**Edit, and using MM as a source to bulster a position might not be the most balanced source to use.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 01:11:48 PM by Stringer »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2004, 01:30:10 PM »
Just so we are clear.
Fixing your own appliance is now anti american?

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2004, 01:35:38 PM »
Stringer, have you gone insane, or are you just trying to be a pain in the ass?  I changed my own oil last week...does that mean I'm anti-american too?!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2004, 01:43:10 PM »
LOL,
SOB has got it.

And no Pongo, I'm not trying to imply that at all.

And I never said anyone was Anti-American.   I just showed that the debate about screwing an evil corporation out of something isn't that simple.

The company does support it's local community plus takes extra steps to use suppliers that are minority owned.

Maybe it would be better if Johnson Controls just went out of business, period.  Then there wouldn't be any jobs or help to local communities and suppliers at all.

And the appliance store is locally owned.  Why not buy the part to support your local economy?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 01:48:56 PM by Stringer »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2004, 01:49:45 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
Stringer, have you gone insane, or are you just trying to be a pain in the ass?

Do we get to vote? :cool:

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2004, 01:57:03 PM »
Only if it's for the latter.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
$155 plus labor my ***
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2004, 02:00:11 PM »
Originally posted by Stringer
Only if it's for the latter.