Author Topic: Question regarding looters in Charley's aftermath  (Read 4562 times)

storch

Question regarding looters in Charley's aftermath
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2004, 09:37:56 PM »
During the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew there was so much looting going on in certain communities that they had to mobilize the National Guard to prevent bloodshed.  I live in Northwest Dade County so the effects of that storm were negligible here.  The Town of Florida City which was hardest hit is a poverty level Hispanic and Black area.  Lootings were rampant and so were the subsequent shootings.  If the damage had occured in my neighborhood I doubt we would have suffered any looting.  I would however be hanging out in my driveway with a shotgun and a case of rifled slugs.  I doubt anyone would loot in my presence.  Most of my neighbors would be doing the same I'm sure.  I don't recall any prosecutions resulting from the many shootings in that area during that time.

Would I shoot to protect property?  Probably not.  I would shoot if I felt endangered.  I would not flee in the presence of thugs though.  Tough call, good question Ripsnort.

storch

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2004, 09:41:58 PM »
Originally posted by Hawklore
I wouldn't shoot to kill, but I'd shoot them so they won't forget it..

Kneecap, Leg, Arm, etc.

I doubt that you could place a round into a person at 25 meters while under pressure.  I bet you couldn't do it at 10 meters either.  You are watching way too many Vin Diesel movies.  I would think a hit in the arm is more of an accident than a well placed shot.

Offline demaw1

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2004, 09:50:27 PM »
GEES any thing else??

If you were picking up things on the beach in a parking lot whatever that is called salvage and is legal.

If a looter went in to a store or house to steal something, then yes you could and maybe should shoot the perp. depending on a coulple of things.

But never never shoot to wound,I you succeed you will in this country be sued and be paying for a long time along with losing everything you own...Like I said a country that loses it moral compass will always care more for the crimanial than the victim.

Dont believe me ,try it.

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2004, 10:35:57 PM »
If you shoot them and leave their bodies in the street it provides 'negative reinforcement' for those that will follow.  

Provided of course that the ones that follow have IQ's  larger than there belt size.  

As you can see, this approach wouldn't have worked in Los Angles or any other major US city.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2004, 10:47:34 PM »
What are the gun laws like in Floriduh?

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2004, 11:02:11 PM »
They gotta get by the wife first !!!!!!
 if they do that they can have everything :D

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2004, 11:15:59 PM »
Kill em all!

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2004, 11:17:21 PM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
What are the gun laws like in Floriduh?

Whats with the spelling of FLORIDA?

You have a problem with Floridians?

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2004, 11:19:11 PM »
Originally posted by Coolridr
Whats with the spelling of FLORIDA?

You have a problem with Floridians?

Stop joking... everyone knows that its spelled Floriduh.

Now do you have an answer to my question or not?

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2004, 11:21:47 PM »
The gun laws are like most other states..the perpetrator must be inside your house.....but if your house is blown all over the yard....could someone be considered to be in it?

If your attack on the intelligence of my home state has anything to do with the stupid people that couldn't operate the voting machines in 2000...just remember most of 'em were retired yankees residing in south Florida, and not true Floridians.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 11:24:07 PM by Coolridr »

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2004, 12:15:37 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.  If the person knows he's doing something wrong, he wouldn't be there.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2004, 01:01:45 AM »
>>Do you think that shooting a looter is using excessive force? <<

I do, and I wouldn't. But you'll never convince the people who would, not to. Individuals value life differently.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2004, 01:31:23 AM »
Originally posted by Coolridr
The gun laws are like most other states..the perpetrator must be inside your house.....but if your house is blown all over the yard....could someone be considered to be in it?

If your attack on the intelligence of my home state has anything to do with the stupid people that couldn't operate the voting machines in 2000...just remember most of 'em were retired yankees residing in south Florida, and not true Floridians.

Ok - how about CCW's?  Could a 'Floridian' (as you spell it... still think its wrong) obtain a carry permit with a reasonable amount of effort or would he have to jump through hoops?

-Looking at a job in the West Palm area.  I want to live there, so I can make fun all I like... Yankee or not.  ;)

Offline X2Lee

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2004, 05:52:02 AM »
Originally posted by demaw1
GEES any thing else??

If you were picking up things on the beach in a parking lot whatever that is called salvage and is legal.

If a looter went in to a store or house to steal something, then yes you could and maybe should shoot the perp. depending on a coulple of things.

You may well be right, but my point remains the same
Taking someones life for taking a possesion.possesions
Makes you worse tham a thief it makes yoiu a murderer

Life is way undervalued in todays society and that where
our downfall lies.

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2004, 06:48:52 AM »
X2Lee - for me you make the typical criminal excuse "it's only possesions and therefore less valuable than my human life if I'm taking them"

Well some peoples possesions mean a lot more to some people than your life - for instance you try to steal my uncle's war medals and you are worth less to me than a sewer rat.  You may get a few quid in a second hand shop for them to feed your sorry bellybutton but to me they are irreplaceable.  If my life is scattered over my yard then I think I have the right to defend it - worthless pictures and cheap jewelry to you but priceless memories of family and friends to me.

I have a particularly "right wing" view on theft having been burgaled myself and having had my seen the effect on my widowed grandmother having her wedding ring and other gifts from my grandfather stolen by a teenager wanting easy cash.  If you take someones possesions from their property - whether it be the house or the remains of a house - knowing it's not yours to take then  you accept the risk of that action and if you get shot in the process - oh well the risk didn't pay off.

Life is way undervalued in todays society and that where
our downfall lies.

No X2Lee - people who lead a good life are undervalued in todays society - THAT is where our downfall lies.  In a society where there is no law life has no value.  The laws we create to live in the society we create give people lives some protection however the scumbag lowlifes who neither want to work nor respect their fellow citizens now bask in the protection that they have a "right" to live like that. It's bull ............

Respect me and my life and I'll respect you and yours.