Author Topic: Question regarding looters in Charley's aftermath  (Read 4561 times)

storch

Question regarding looters in Charley's aftermath
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2004, 07:27:03 AM »
Originally posted by Saurdaukar
Ok - how about CCW's?  Could a 'Floridian' (as you spell it... still think its wrong) obtain a carry permit with a reasonable amount of effort or would he have to jump through hoops?

-Looking at a job in the West Palm area.  I want to live there, so I can make fun all I like... Yankee or not.  ;)

Just what we need, another yankee that will require driving lessons.  These are some basic rules which may be helpful.

Rule #1.  Remove all mirrors from your car they are useless. No one bothers with them here.  If you want to make a turn do not I repeat DO NOT use your turn indicator.  You will be stuck in that same lane until you hit Savanah Ga. or U.S.1 in Coconut Grove.  If you end up in the Grove all bets are off, may God have mercy on your soul.

Rule#2.  Those signs you see that say 55 are a suggestion.  We like the Red and Blue ones that say 95 better.  If you get a citation just explain that you weren't going to be on the road for an hour only a 1/2 hour eg. the speed is rightly 110.

Rule#3.  A sure way to get rear ended and subsequently your arse kicked is to stop at stop signs. RRRRRRRoll your stops signs.

Rule#4.  Pedestrians are fair game.  If they venture into your turf clip em.  You will earn extra points if you can prove they are NY Yankees fans.

Rule#5  Learn non verbal communications.  This skill is a must. ..!..

Oh er drive safely.  Wear your seat belts.  Buckle up.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 07:32:06 AM by storch »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2004, 07:29:44 AM »
Looting is a disgusting practice.  Be tough for me to shoot anyone though.  I think standing or sitting in front of my house with my trusty 9-iron would be sufficient to discourage anyone looting my house.  Fortunately it is unlikely in the extreme that any looters would be armed with guns.

If I lived in Florida though I'd be armed to the teeth to defend my property simply because it is LIKEY in the extreme that those same looters would indeed be armed too.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

storch

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2004, 07:30:06 AM »
Originally posted by Sparks
X2Lee - for me you make the typical criminal excuse "it's only possesions and therefore less valuable than my human life if I'm taking them"

Well some peoples possesions mean a lot more to some people than your life - for instance you try to steal my uncle's war medals and you are worth less to me than a sewer rat.  You may get a few quid in a second hand shop for them to feed your sorry bellybutton but to me they are irreplaceable.  If my life is scattered over my yard then I think I have the right to defend it - worthless pictures and cheap jewelry to you but priceless memories of family and friends to me.

I have a particularly "right wing" view on theft having been burgaled myself and having had my seen the effect on my widowed grandmother having her wedding ring and other gifts from my grandfather stolen by a teenager wanting easy cash.  If you take someones possesions from their property - whether it be the house or the remains of a house - knowing it's not yours to take then  you accept the risk of that action and if you get shot in the process - oh well the risk didn't pay off.

No X2Lee - people who lead a good life are undervalued in todays society - THAT is where our downfall lies.  In a society where there is no law life has no value.  The laws we create to live in the society we create give people lives some protection however the scumbag lowlifes who neither want to work nor respect their fellow citizens now bask in the protection that they have a "right" to live like that. It's bull ............

Respect me and my life and I'll respect you and yours.

Very well said Sir!  Would you give a warning?

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2004, 07:33:54 AM »
Is the looter a Democrat or a Republican?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2004, 07:44:43 AM »
Originally posted by Westy

you want percentages??? LOL

shoot them right btwn the eyes - no wasted medical or court costs...

after about the third publized shooting - looting would stop

slap their wrists and they'll return with their buddies

saw a sign that stated it well painted on the side of a damaged home:

"U Loot - U Die"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2004, 07:51:16 AM »
Originally posted by Westy

Obviously democrat if they stealing from you (taxes) :D

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2004, 08:01:09 AM »
Originally posted by DJ111

LOL wallpaper for computer desktop material , love it ;)

Offline Krusher

• Gold Member
Re: Question regarding looters in Charley's aftermath
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2004, 11:08:33 AM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Do you think that shooting a looter is using excessive force?

I dont know If I could use lethal force, but I wouldn't have any problem beating them with whatever is handy.

After a Hurricane has destroyed your home, could you even find your guns?

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2004, 11:14:26 AM »
I'm pretty sure that if my house was leveled/damaged by a hurricane,entering it with the intention of removing valuables would NOT be a wise decision.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2004, 12:37:48 PM »
Originally posted by storch
Just what we need, another yankee that will require driving lessons.  These are some basic rules which may be helpful.

Rule #1.  Remove all mirrors from your car they are useless. No one bothers with them here.  If you want to make a turn do not I repeat DO NOT use your turn indicator.  You will be stuck in that same lane until you hit Savanah Ga. or U.S.1 in Coconut Grove.  If you end up in the Grove all bets are off, may God have mercy on your soul.

Rule#2.  Those signs you see that say 55 are a suggestion.  We like the Red and Blue ones that say 95 better.  If you get a citation just explain that you weren't going to be on the road for an hour only a 1/2 hour eg. the speed is rightly 110.

Rule#3.  A sure way to get rear ended and subsequently your arse kicked is to stop at stop signs. RRRRRRRoll your stops signs.

Rule#4.  Pedestrians are fair game.  If they venture into your turf clip em.  You will earn extra points if you can prove they are NY Yankees fans.

Rule#5  Learn non verbal communications.  This skill is a must. ..!..

Oh er drive safely.  Wear your seat belts.  Buckle up.

Oh hell... if you can drive in Philadelphia, you can drive anywhere.  Worst drivers and the worst roads in the country.

Aint all that different from Florida - youve got the highest number of grey hairs and PA's got the second highest so Im used to being stuck behind a maroon Grand Marquis going 45MPH in the passing lane.  You lucky bastards just have palm trees and thongs.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2004, 12:53:17 PM »
After Frederick hit Mobile in '79, the National Guard was called out and a curfew was in effect.  The city was under martial law for a short while.  The National Guard had orders to shoot to kill looters.

The damage in Florida looks worse than what Frederick did, but both Charley and Frederick were Cat 4 hurricanes.  Mobile has barrier islands which slowed Fred down a bit (115 MPH sustained winds with 160 top wind recorded.)  It was like a million tornados, not any rain, just wind.  It looked like an A bomb had gone off here.

I know some shop owners who went downtown and protected their business with shotguns.  They ran some looters off but didn't shoot them.

Some of the biggest looters were "carpetbaggers" bringing in ice and selling it for $10 a bag, 'til the National Guard confiscated their trucks and gave the ice away.

Les

Offline Orig

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2004, 03:16:23 PM »
"murder"...  That's defined as killing someone who you shouldn't have killed, according to a set of laws.

In some cases, it's ok to kill someone.  Those situations have legal definitions and juries are explicitly allowed to authorize a "justified killing" at their discretion even when the law doesn't specifically allow it in that situation.  All they have to do is return a "not guilty" verdict, and it's based on the "reasonable person" principle.

FWIW, $.01 is enough in my book.  Looters are parasites no matter how you cut it, and parasites need killing, period.  Even "varmints" have a position in ecological cycles, but human parasites do nothing but drag everyone else down.  I'm unable to feel sorry for the parasite any more than I'm able to feel sorry for killing a mosquito that's sucking blood out of my arm.

And NEVER just try to wound someone if you have to shoot them.  That just gives them a chance to sue you.  If you kill them, their family can sue for wrongful death but not for other intangibles like pain and suffering.  If you're gonna shoot them, you sure as hell better kill them or your life is going to be hell fighting the endless lawsuits.  A crippled criminal gets far more sympathy from a jury than the family of a criminal who is trying to get paid because their scumbag relative got shot stealing.  Any gun owner in California should know this rule cold because juries in california are screwy that way.  Someone falls through your skylight at midnight?  If they live to walk out the door, you're liable for them busting their bellybutton falling through your ceiling.  But if you shoot them dead, it's a justifiable shooting in self defense and there won't be a lawsuit.

Sure, flame away, but it's the cold hard truth.  Sorry if you don't like it.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2004, 03:38:20 PM »
I would shoot to wound...Pinky finger, big toe, appendix.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2004, 03:59:50 PM »
LMFAO..i didnt read all theses posts..the first one was good enough..

"tell them i had a flash back"..lololol

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2004, 04:10:20 PM »
I'd take the lawsuit rather than killing someone if I didn't have to.

Interesting point though.  No one really knows what they would do, and I speak for myself when I say I wouldn't be thinking about lawsuits if I had to do something.

Thing is, dedicated looters might come back if you don't keep a constant vigil.  Maybe at night time when it's hard to see.  That's why the disaster area in Florida will have military units patrolling the streets after curfew.

Les