Author Topic: Six calls, SA, Voice chans, and Profanity.  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Six calls, SA, Voice chans, and Profanity.
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2004, 10:39:56 AM »
Mars01
I know My kidds are going to exposer to some stuff and I try not to over shelter them. But this one took me completely by suprise. it came unexpectedly from a game I never expected it from. this is the first time this has ever happened to me. now put your kids into the mix and all in the first 3 minutes of the game. I didn't get the guys handle tried to remember it and even tried pulling it out of the text buffer but no go to much traffic his handled I think started with a b and ended with numbers. I aked around but no one replayed as to who it was. No big deal I really didn't have any intentions of going that far. If I'm lucky he will read the post realise how overboard he went. no big deal I'de just like a tool to keep it from happening again. I think the point here is I couldn't filter it out. I can tune out of any other voice com I can even set the chan so I can see text and no voice. But I can't tune out local com to my knowledge and I know I can't kill local comms and keep room chat. If we had a took it would solve a few problems for alot of people. it would stop some one from getting in range and using perty 4 letter words. it would clear up traffic for squad comms and it would probably help people with bandwith and resource problems.

As far giving the guy a check six I couldn't no mic and no check six key. It wouldn't have matter any way I didn't even have time to point and grunt at the screen. I basically heard the ack puffs and looked back and there was a 38. I kicked my rudder rolled and did a wicked split S by the time I got my bearings it was over with I was also in a birdcage f4u If I heard the ack puffs and was smart enough to look back and actually see the 38 I don't see why this guy couldn't have done the same. I think the part here that upsets me the most is people get this Idea the have constitution right to a six call, and they get pissed when they don't get it even even if ti would have been at your expense. I can see if this was real but it's nto it's only a game. Ide expect this from some point mongering 13 year old with an ego trip but this guy sounded like a 30 year old. Guru had better manors and less expectations from people around him. Heck Guru is a saint compaired to current standards.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2004, 10:44:10 AM »
range vox mute please!!!

I'm tired of being forced to listen to 7 guys race to call off EVERY con they see. No more air traffic controllers!

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2004, 10:56:40 AM »
rgr Mayhem,

I agree the Swearing is not appropriate and unecessary and I can understand your frustration and concern but I don't think HT is responsible for it.  

Some real world issues are going to creep in no matter what and I'd rather HT increase the playability and immersion of AHII and TOD rather than worry about some policeing  codeing.

My comments on the check six were not directed at you.  You mentioned that the timing did not allow you to quickly get off a check six, I can understand that, been there myself.  

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2004, 10:57:05 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
not that i disagree about the apparent need for a more comprehensive squelch vox system, but... the point about movie ratings, well even PG includes the occasional "dam" and "hell"

If those were the only 2 words to be uttered by the inconsiderates i wouldn't worry. I heard a litany of SOB's Gd's and FU"s from several people last night. Mostly wooried that they didn't get a "six check". Judging by the voices I doubt these are 13-16 year olds but adults (I should put that in quotes). On some nights I would need a note pad and pencil to keep track of people I need to squelch. If we don't self police our mouths someone willdo it for us. Just think before you talk. It will make it a nicer envirnment for everyone regardless of age.
peace
Pillur

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2004, 11:00:26 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
It's advice not an order, it's without judgement.  

It's not besides the point.  He mentioned his kid hearing bad language while watching him play an adult game.

While I can understand where he is comming from and I agree there is no excuse for the language, it is like watching an R rated movie and getting mad because it's not a G rated movie.

This is an adult dominated game, this is not Mario Brothers.  Some adults use bad language as if they don't know it is wrong.  We are unfortunately bound to have some AHole cursing bottom line.

This is NOT an adult game. People usually know when they've crossed the line. They do it because thy can. Making excuses for those that can't stop from pushing the talk button before cursing (swearing whatever) is pathetic. Andthikjing it's ok is equally pathetic.
Peace
Pillur

Offline Ohio330

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2004, 11:13:07 AM »
Sad part about the keyboard check six calls is, from my
recollection, is that they seem to turn out to be false most
of the time anyways.
   Secondly, and I think this has been addressed in the past..
I understand cockpit mirrors were not stock items in planes, but
many pilots added their own.   This game touts realism,  but
it can still be on a realism theme if they make it the pilot's choice
to add a mirror to his  (ok, or her's ) ride.  I think this would help reduce the whines when they can clearly see they got jumped even though they were stupid enough to get jumped in the first place.
   Yes, and have an option to kill range channel.  Squad ops are extremely chatty and range just makes things worse.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2004, 11:15:56 AM »
This is NOT an adult game. People usually know when they've crossed the line. They do it because thy can. Making excuses for those that can't stop from pushing the talk button before cursing (swearing whatever) is pathetic. Andthikjing it's ok is equally pathetic.
Step down off the Soap box pillur and read a little more carefully.

Since you quoted me I will respond as if this whole post is to me.

This game is dominated by adults, this is an adult game.

Who is making excuses?  Not me, Read my post this time... "I agree there is no excuse for the language"

Offline LtPillur

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2004, 11:37:05 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
Step down off the Soap box pillur and read a little more carefully.

Since you quoted me I will respond as if this whole post is to me.

This game is dominated by adults, this is an adult game.

Who is making excuses?  Not me, Read my post this time... "I agree there is no excuse for the language"

it really wasn't aimed at you though I see how you could feel that way. I apologize for the insinuation that you felt  making excuses for language is Ok.
I think there is a difference between adult dominated games and adult games. I still don't feel this is an adult game , though it might well be adult dominated. I hear kids (one I know is someones son and is 12) all the time.  Even as an adult, having lived a very UNsheltered life and even prone to occasional usage of such words it still bugs me when people berate another with such anger and language. I can say one thing for sure...it IS a game. Nobody really dies. We all go to bed with or without six checks. And in the end how you handle all this is the thing that is important. BTW last night I was told "Don't give me an f'in check 6 OK?" OK, and I'll be sure not to fly with the individual as well.
Peace
Pillur

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2004, 11:48:28 AM »
Let me first say that I don't believe that there is any excuse that could justify some of the garbage that is spewed out on vox.

Now ...

it came unexpectedly from a game I never expected it from. this is the first time this has ever happened to me.

Now trying to downplay your plight Mayhem, but I find this a little hard to swallow. I don't really know how long you have been around, but let me guess ... for awhile.

With that, how could you not expect this type of behaviour from some of the trash/potty mouths that poplulate this world and find their way in AH.

It may have been the first time that you got caught unaware and had your speaker system turned on, but it can't be the first time that you have heard such trash over vox (pre-apology if it really was).

Again .. there is no excuse for what happened !!!

I always fly with headphones.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Nwbie

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2004, 11:52:36 AM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
Oh and to the WM squad specifically.
You guys have your vox all figured out perfectly.
No offence intended but
You you all be so kind as to turn your Mikes down JUST a little bit.
You guys have the best and clearest sounding vox in the game I've ever heard.
Only problem is your a bit LOUD.
And I mean near burst your eardrums loud

Dred,

I will assume that you mean WMSpin, he lately has been having problems with his vox setup, he needs a new mic setup or something because he either is so low you can't hear him, or so loud it is dang annoying, just throw a note to him if he is range voxing close to you that he is loud again and he will adjust it, or do like the rest of his squadies and squelch him :)

He is getting way better at his SA cuz his squadies laff about him not getting check 6 calls :)

He is a good guy and knows he has vox problems, so he won't get upset if ya tell him to lower it

NwBie
Skuzzy-- "Facts are slowly becoming irrelevant in favor of the nutjob."

Offline YUCCA

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2004, 11:54:23 AM »
HE shouldn't of done that to you, but regaurdless you shouldnt come into an highly compettive sim expecting just buttercups n' rainbows.  I'd say do this game like rated R movie.  Just dont let your kid be aroudn when you're doing it.  Just a thought :)

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2004, 11:55:13 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
I agree completely. Your 6 is YOUR SIX. Nobody else's responsibility. If I get jumped from behind, its my own fault. Period.

Check 6 calls are gifts, not rights.

Sorry i can't answer your main Q about the room vox -- dont know.  Just wanted to vent on a peeve of mine too.

exactly

but on the same note if i have time ill give check six's whenever i can, even to morph and i dont even like him:aok

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2004, 12:08:50 PM »
Rgr Pillur,

Sorry for taking it that way.  

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2004, 12:18:00 PM »
Hehe, my favorite is when I get a check six call when I'm 2 minutes into a dogfight.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline tactic

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2004, 12:22:58 PM »
yup.. Range channel voicing over the squad channel does cause problems.  I have seen my people die, because john doe was BS'n about his weekend in the sand box on range channel, meanwhile I'm on the vox squad channel tring to tell a squadie he's about to be in pieces, and all they hear is about john doe's sandy crack.  ya  thats not a good thing.

then john doe is the first one to be cussing you out about no ck6 call , because he thinks you should be his arse while hes telling his story!

with all the channels to bad we cant have range channel 300, like open channel is 200 now. you may tune or you may not.  

And cussing  on what ever channel beside your own squad channel is a disrespect problem, its like using someone's toilet and not flushing, gezzz man  no one want to hear or see your crap.  I cuss and i cuss Alot!  I'm talking tons of foul words, but I dont here on AH (excuding squad channel, we bad) time and place for all that. RESPECT thats all.