Author Topic: Free to Travel  (Read 424 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Free to Travel
« on: August 17, 2004, 10:31:38 AM »
I've been reading about Gilmore's lawsuit... it's an interesting perspective.

http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,64599,00.html

http://freetotravel.org/

We've seen quite a few threads here that address freedom of religion, freedom of speech, the right to bear arms, etc...

What do you guys think?
sand

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Free to Travel
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 10:36:42 AM »
This guy's panties are in a bunch because they want him to show a photo-id before boarding a plane?  He should get a life.  And a driver's license.  

They search your shoes nowadays, fer chrissake.

ra

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Free to Travel
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 10:39:19 AM »
I think he needs to travel by car. Oh wait, he doesn't have a license. I guess he needs to learn to walk then. :rolleyes:

His arguement about identity not being a part of security is specious. Just because there are no weapons in his (or anyones) carry on luggage does not preclude the presence of pre planted weaponry on board. Keeping track of potential terror suspects and tracking them is an issue relevant to secure travel.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Free to Travel
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 10:44:30 AM »
Wait till he gets carded for buying a 6 pak.

I understand his point, but anyone that made millions and flys a cattle car ala SWA deserves to spend $150,000 making a noodle out of himself.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Free to Travel
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 10:45:22 AM »
He sounds like an ass.  Tell him to walk.

"Gilmore Ejected from British Airways Flight For Wearing a 'Suspected Terrorist'".

What does he expect?!?  I hate people like this.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Free to Travel
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 10:49:13 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo
Wait till he gets carded for buying a 6 pak.

:D   I would pay money to see some 18 year-old ask him for ID when buying beer and watch Gilmore implode.

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
Free to Travel
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 11:18:05 AM »
Anyone want to giive this sweetheart bag a call?

Contacts:

John Gilmore - plaintiff
+1 415 221 6524

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Free to Travel
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 12:17:49 PM »
I think this would fall under a reasonable request by the airlines to protect life and property. He is free to travel, but the airline is free to deny service. Just like "no shirt, no shoes, no service", it is a public health and safety issue.

I understand his privacy concerns, but he has alternate means available for travel that do not require ID. He should be directing his privacy concerns in more productive areas like Social Security numbers. That is the worst kept secret info in the world.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Free to Travel
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 03:39:44 PM »
I think the guy's nuts.  That's what I think.

But you never know with some judges.  It's a 50/50 chance Gilmore will win his lawsuit.  Anything can and does happen in court.

If I had to bet though, I would bet against Gilmore winning.  The way I see it, he's lucky he wasn't thrown in jail, (as he should have been.)

Charge:

Disturbing the peace.

He doesn't have a constitutional leg to stand on imo, he disrupted freedom of assembly for one thing.  The right of peaceable like minded citizens to assemble without fear.

The passengers were like minded in that they wanted to get where they were going alive.

How the heck did he even get past the checkpoint wearing that button, him making a political statement and all?  Surely he didn't put it on after that.  

The security just let him through?

Les

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Free to Travel
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 04:45:45 PM »
suit Monday in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco

SAYS IT ALL RIGHT THERE!