Author Topic: Advice for a new joystick  (Read 764 times)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Advice for a new joystick
« on: February 01, 2000, 05:02:00 PM »
Well, my sidewinder doesn't seem to want to work with the new computer so I've decided to get a different stick.

What I'm looking for is something similar to the sidewinder.  I would like it all to be in one piece.. no seperate rudder/throttle.  Price isn't really a concern.  I'm also not too into Force Feedback, so I won't go there.

Any recomendations?  Something that doesn't spike?  Something that feels solid?

AKDejaVu

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2000, 05:21:00 PM »
All in one piece? No seperate throttle or rudders?

Hands down, no other choice than the Logitech Wingman 3D Extreme. USB and $37.00 bucks. Programming utility is flawless, always calibrated.It twists for rudder.

Take it from a ex-SatanStick (Saitek) owner. More time flying, less screwing with your calibration and what-not. I would like all the seperate stuff myself, but until I can get a all-in-one digital package, this is it for me. Leaves lotsa extra cash for booze too, which ain't bad thing either.

Offline dolomite

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2000, 05:27:00 PM »
I would agree on the Logitech - they make very good products.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2000, 05:34:00 PM »
Seems that Joystick hooror stories abound...

I spent the bucks 5 years ago on a CH suite; Combat stick; standard pedals; Pro throttle. Many THOUSANDS of hours later; they still work just fine.

Like most things in life.. yah gets whatcha pay for.   My advice? Spend a few bucks more ONCE. Or you'll instead be re-buying the $40.00 sticks... again and again..

Hang

------------------
PALE HORSES
"I looked, and behold; a Pale Horse, and it's riders name was Death, and Hell followed with him" Rev 6.8
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2000, 06:16:00 PM »
The full ensemble is not an option due to space limitations.

I'm not a cheapscate when it comes to sticks.  I've owned TM F22, F16, TQS, WCS, Rudder Pedals, FCS and more.  I can't say that I've had less problems with the expensive stuf than I have with the cheap... it is all a matter of perspective.

I have a friend that works for TM (or whatever its called now).  His wife just sent me a message saying he has some stuff she wants to get rid of.  He claims that only techno weenies would have any use for it.  I'll see what I can find  I really hope that he has a version of that console display Buzz was working on.  That would be too cool.  I'd actually have to dig up F16- Back to Bagdad (anyone know of another that supports a second HGCA monitor?).

Anyways... I'm just looking for the best all in one package available right now.  USB probably better than port with the current state of soundcard drivers.

AKDejaVu

Heckel

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2000, 08:20:00 PM »
Definitely the Logitech 3D.  It's super solid, feels natural in the hand, and has a very smooth action, and i've had no glitches, save the fact that I have to redetect my rudder pedals every time I boot up.  For kicks, I flew using the twist action for rudder, and it was great.  If I wasn't addicted to jamming the pedals, I'd consider it as an option.

BTW, for you pedal pushers- a sheet of skateboard grip tape, applied to the decks of the pedals makes 'em extra grippy.  Just the ticket for reeeeeally digging into a turn to nail Hangtime or Udie.  

Heckel,
THUNDERBIRDS

-"Death from below, and slightly to the left"

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2000, 09:08:00 PM »
Well, I've got a CH USB F-16 Combat Stick and a Logitech WingMan Extreme Digital 3D.  I prefer the Logitech with its 8-way hat, and it just feels better in my hand than the CH ('course, had to go to it, anyway, for the twist rudder since my CH USB Pro Pedals don't presently work with AH).

I recommend going by Best Buy and see what feels best to you.  The Logitech seemed very similar to the Sidewinder, but I preferred its feel & fit.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2000, 09:49:00 PM »
I dont have the new USB logitech I have the Wingman Interceptor. Never a single problem in any game. There is however no twist grip..
I bought the CH pro pedals and the combo has worked flawlessly. The advantage of the Interceptor over the USB(and most other sticks) is the three 8 pos hats. I have one for level views one for high views and one for trims...love it.

------------------
Pongo
Musketeer Escadrille

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2000, 06:48:00 AM »
Have CH Combatstick with Pro Pedals.  Operate pretty good.

Can't turn or fight worth a hill of beans, but thats not an equipment problem!!  

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2000, 05:51:00 PM »
Went out and bough the Logitech WingMan Extreme digital 3d today.  I like the feel, though I have to say that hat trigger setup sure looks horrible cosmetically

Thanks for the tips guys.

AKDejaVu

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2000, 10:10:00 PM »
See! Told ya, and I agree about it's looks. I really hate it, but damn if it don't feel nice and do the job without a hassle.

Kinda like this filthy big gal I once knew at bar time.....

Luckyone

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2000, 10:54:00 PM »
You could have kept the details to your self creamo. :>

Yes, I've got that stick and use it daily (USB mode)TM,CH and suncom are all here still I'll not boot them out cept logitech did some thing right this time.