Author Topic: Fleet Defense  (Read 389 times)

Offline hawker238

• Silver Member
Fleet Defense
« on: August 19, 2004, 08:15:35 PM »
Just read this:

http://198.65.138.161/org/news/2004/040807-terror-suspect.htm

It strikes me, how would they defend ships from the attack of small craft?  Are there new weapons coming out to counter this?  I guess stingers and small arms are all we've got.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
Fleet Defense
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 08:28:17 PM »
Most US Ships have a few .50 cal mounts that would be usefull I imagine

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Fleet Defense
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 10:44:21 PM »
Originally posted by hawker238
Just read this:

It strikes me, how would they defend ships from the attack of small craft?  Are there new weapons coming out to counter this?  I guess stingers and small arms are all we've got.

I read on TIME magazine (2-3 months ago i think) that USN, french, and swedish Navy are planning to build "mini" destroyers designed for "brown waters" (ship vs land  battles that are close to shores). Btw, they're stealthy too.

I hope this is the answer (!) to the cheap small crafts

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Fleet Defense
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 10:55:29 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
I read on TIME magazine (2-3 months ago i think) that USN, french, and swedish Navy are planning to build "mini" destroyers designed for "brown waters" (ship vs land  battles that are close to shores). Btw, they're stealthy too.

I hope this is the answer (!) to the cheap small crafts

usn already has pc that can handle this type of stuff. also they dont need new weapons systems they just need to tell the Marines which small boat to vaporize.

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Fleet Defense
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004, 11:14:18 PM »
Is a Cod-damned railing too much to ask for?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Fleet Defense
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2004, 11:19:30 PM »
Accuracy Arms was working on something that would...... discourage....... smaller craft in a big hurry. It should be in use by now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Fleet Defense
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2004, 11:23:45 PM »
US ships also have 2 25mm chain guns and very many 50 cal mounts and grenade launchers

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »
Just read this:

http://198.65.138.161/org/news/2004/040807-terror-suspect.htm

Please, post your information here because we know for a fact that muslim terrorists can't possibly be paying any attention to a BBS frequented by ex-military and military enthusiasts.
sand

Offline anonymous

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2004, 11:32:56 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Please, post your information here because we know for a fact that muslim terrorists can't possibly be paying any attention to a BBS frequented by ex-military and military enthusiasts.

sadly they dont need internet that much. you hear about scumbag out of san diego being investigated by usn? they find email from him on al qaeda computer where he detailed cvg formation and composition and gives est time for cvg passing thru a certain strait?

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 02:22:01 AM »

Most if not all US ships have .50 cals and most Phalanx Ciws systems are now upgraded to block 1B to handle this type of threats.

phalanx: "Block 1B Phalanx Surface Mode (PSUM) upgrade allows engagement of small, high-speed, maneuvering surface craft and low, slow-moving aircraft, and hovering helicopters. This upgrade incorporates a thermal imager, an automatic acquisition video tracker, and a stabilization system for the imager, providing both day and night detection of threats. The thermal imager improves the system's ability to engage anti-ship cruise missiles by providing more accurate angle tracking information to the fire control computer. Additionally, the FLIR assists the radar in engaging some ASCM’s bringing a greater chance of ship survivability. The thermal imager Automatic Acquisition Video Tracker (AAVT) and stablilization system provide surface mode and electro-optic (EO) angle track. Operational evaluation of Block 1B, conducted aboard USS Underwood (FFG-36) and the Self-Defense Test Ship, was completed in August 1999. According to Phalanx Program Office plans, Block 1B will be installed in 11 other FFG-7 CORT ships between June 2000 and July 2002."

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/systems/mk-15.htm

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 09:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sandman

Nothing mentioned so far is anything you can't find here on the internet.

Offline hawker238

• Silver Member
Fleet Defense
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 11:20:59 AM »
I didn't know the CIWS was upgraded to handle that... very cool.  I guess that would really put a hamper on anything.

Offline Coolridr

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Fleet Defense
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 11:32:41 AM »
Yes the CIWS now has a manual Joystick control and optics for surface action...would love to see a Boghammer get lit up with one.:D

Offline Stringer

• Silver Member
Fleet Defense
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2004, 12:17:55 PM »
That's all well and good GSholz, but how many skiers can it pull??:)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Fleet Defense
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2004, 12:29:23 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
I don't know. 50 perhaps, maybe 100? The thing can run at more than 50 knots so ... ;)

60 knots GS, but thats still not enough to pull even one of the FDB's